How does smite work?

darksoul
Knight

How does smite work?

Post by darksoul » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:43 am

Re:Smite

Me and some friends just made out first AFF2e Characters.
I am unsure about how smite works. Is it applied to a weapon? Is it a ranged attack? Can it be applied to ranged weapons? If it is applied to a weapon does that mean the user of smite rolls for Attack, and if successful does damage of the weapon - armour, than rolls and adds smite damage?

bottg
Site Admin

Re: How does smite work?

Post by bottg » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:44 pm

Smite essentially allows the priest to roll twice for damage, with both damages being applied to the target. It is a moot point whether the defender rolls once or twice for armour. I would probably say once for monsters and NPC's to speed things up (with that one armour result applied to both hits) and twice for characters and important enemies.

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:57 am

Hi Parkusuk.
Thanks for the info. So the way I see smite now, it's connected to a weapon in anyway. The priest simply chooses the target and the target is inflicted with a smite. I was thinking of it in Dungeons and Dragons terms where the smite is caused by striking someone in Melee but it's not the case in this instance I see.

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:41 am

Hi Park.

I just reread smite today and noticed I misread the page. So smite is applied when the priest attacks with a weapon. Very powerful spell. What are your recommendations on applying it to a ranged weapon, like a throwing dagger.

Our new priest chose throwing daggers as his weapons of choice. I'm thinking this means that only one of this throwing daggers gets the smite ability. Would you recommend that if he casts it on a set of daggers, than they all get improved. I get the feeling this can lead to problems.