Your House Rules

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Re: Your House Rules

Post by Mr Nibbs » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:31 pm

torus wrote:I would certainly incline towards making it hard for the Heroes' stats to increase - probably even harder than in the core rules. In my character advancement should come via special skill improvement (and magic).
There are plenty of ways a sneaky GM can keep characters stats down. Diseases from contaminated supplies and insect bites are useful ideas. And those magic items, where do they get their power from? Are they a bit vampiric?

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:07 pm

Mr Nibbs wrote: There are plenty of ways a sneaky GM can keep characters stats down.
Indeed, some nice ideas. But taking a step back, I don't really see the point of giving with one hand and talking away with the other. If you think stats shouldn't get too high, surely don't let them increase?

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Post by Mr Nibbs » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:19 am

torus wrote:
Mr Nibbs wrote: There are plenty of ways a sneaky GM can keep characters stats down.
Indeed, some nice ideas. But taking a step back, I don't really see the point of giving with one hand and talking away with the other. If you think stats shouldn't get too high, surely don't let them increase?
Why should the players have all the fun? :wink: Back in the day when GM's weren't just referees, they role-played the bad guys and had 2 or 3 NPC assistants with tactically aware monsters and serious weaponry. Play strictly by the rules and give 'em hell! :twisted:

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:38 am

Back in the Dungeoneer! days, I scrapped the damage tables for weapons and assigned a d6 damage indication. Small and improvised weapons did d6, medium sized and the Firebolt spell did d6+1, large weapons and the Forcebolt spell did d6+2 points.

I also scrapped the shield rule as it made no sense to me at the time (your SKILL dropped by 1 if you used a shield if I recall)
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Post by Mr Nibbs » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:39 pm

when we were really drunk we just threw dice at the miniatures. :cry:

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:49 pm

Here's another rules I forgot to mention and that works well in my game.

Creature with more than one attack gets a +1 to hit for every unused attacks if they have fewer opponents than their number of attacks.

Exemple : 7 headed hydra against our hero. The Hydra will make one attack but will add +6 to hit :twisted:
Tentez votre chance...

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:20 am

Interesting. I suppose that's quicker - I roll for the multiple attacks (which I think makes a hit more likely in most cases than your rule).

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:28 am

torus wrote:Interesting. I suppose that's quicker - I roll for the multiple attacks (which I think makes a hit more likely in most cases than your rule).
The rules states that enemies, even with multiple attacks, got only one attack against one hero. Finding that enemies were losing their edge, I decided to put the multiple opponents bonus, the same you see in the modifier chart in the combat chapter.

Making it rough, I could take the same seven headed hydra against two heroes and decide that the monster would get +2 with hero A and +3 with hero B, and so on!

Those bonuses makes these monsters very dangerous!
Tentez votre chance...