Are warriors to weak?

Nuvole!
Archmage

Re: Are warriors to weak?

Post by Nuvole! » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:48 pm

If you like to take that road, you may want to play normally for a number of rounds equal to your skill, and then you reduce it progressively, due to fatigue... :wink:
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:10 pm

Since having a high skill is already a great advantage, maybe the fatigue can be determined by stamina, which would make it more interesting. Therefore a player might be able to prevail against a higher skill opponent if they have a higher stamina. Maybe reduce skill by 1 after fighting a number of rounds equal to half the initial stamina. I would say current stamina, but if you're fighting a higher skill opponent, you will lose more stamina.

On the other hand, we could use current stamina. I guess some characters could combine that withe heavy armour so that they can reduce the damage they lose.

Or we could do it as the number of rounds equal to skill + strength, so that a character can last longer than an opponent with a higher skill.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:06 pm

If I house ruled some fatigue rules relating to combat I would actually look at it this way:

1. Each Hero has a Fatigue factor based on a quarter of the initial STAMINA score, rounding up (so with a STAMINA score of 14, the Hero's Fatigue factor is 4). Because prolonged combat is an exhausting activity, the Hero will tire quicker if they are not properly conditioned. hence the Fatigue factor is a quarter of the STAMINA score.
2. When engaged in physical combat (thats toe-to-toe sword swinging in other words), a Hero can fight without ill effects for a number of combat rounds equal to his or her Fatigue factor.
3. Once combat rounds exceed the Fatigue factor, the Hero starts deducting 1 point from SKILL and from Combat and Stealth special skills, for each round they remain in combat. The Hero also deducts 1 point from his weapon damage. This starts counting towards how tired the Hero starts to feel, how clumsy they get, their armour and weapons start feeling heavier etc.
4. The effects of fatigue are cumulative, and the Hero can recover to full strength after some rest.

This would only apply to Heroes in combat. While a wizard will start feeling fatigue with prolonged spell casting, I look at this as why Magic Points are being spent in casting spells; in effect this is an abstract fatigue rule for wizards and the like; with no Magic Points to spend, they have no ability to cast spells.
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:11 pm

One of the things I'm considering doing to fighter type characters is giving them more options in combat, but I'm not sure what yet.

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Post by Mr Nibbs » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:01 am

darksoul wrote:Mr. Nibbs, if you're looking for something involving fatigue, than you can try something along this line. I don't have a set system set up but the jist of it is this.
Have the player fight and lose skill during combat. If he wants to recover his skill than he must fight defensively for a certain amount of time till it recovers. Otherwise he risks losing more skill(and taking longer to recover). At the end of the fight he recovers all Skill provided he rests.
I see this level of exhaustion as an extreme situation with serious consequences for the character.
An exhausted fighter would sensibly avoid combat altogether, and I think GM's should provide for that. It may be down to being prepared for the first blow, and a single luck check might work?

From tabletop rpg's, the idea is that the character's chance of success is affected, not the player's options, as skills are not lost, experience still counts and familiar actions can still be attempted. Fatigue rules need to reflect impaired awareness, concentration and physical weakness, and affect how well a character performs a familiar action.

In AD&D we used a house rule in which a character with very low hit points / stamina lost the use of all bonuses and special skills, and considered unfit for combat. Spellcasters could only manage level 1 spells successfully, and level 2 spells with no or limited success.

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Post by Mr Nibbs » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:22 am

darksoul wrote:One of the things I'm considering doing to fighter type characters is giving them more options in combat, but I'm not sure what yet.
Having distinctive fighting styles is a good way to go. History has plenty of examples to start from and look for some good re-enactment group videos on youtube for very detailed info. For each style you can create favoured weapons, armour skills, and a skills set. Skills have sub-sets which might be combination moves, aiming to scare off, disarm, disable or kill. Some of those might favour speed and precision (agility), brute force (attack strength) or a trick (know-how, luck?). Other skills might include weapons maintenance, improvised weapons, and unarmed combat skills.

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:19 am

Mr Nibbs wrote:
darksoul wrote:One of the things I'm considering doing to fighter type characters is giving them more options in combat, but I'm not sure what yet.
Having distinctive fighting styles is a good way to go. History has plenty of examples to start from and look for some good re-enactment group videos on youtube for very detailed info. For each style you can create favoured weapons, armour skills, and a skills set. Skills have sub-sets which might be combination moves, aiming to scare off, disarm, disable or kill. Some of those might favour speed and precision (agility), brute force (attack strength) or a trick (know-how, luck?). Other skills might include weapons maintenance, improvised weapons, and unarmed combat skills.
I'm thinking that might be an option, but I'm not sure how far I want to go along on that.
I've done research on dozens of martial arts and I've been a practitioner of quite a few but I'm not sure if I want to add in new styles. Most fighting styles are more about theories on how one should deal with an opponent and training certain reactions (like not turning your back on the opponent). I'm thinking something that can reflect the simplicity of the game mechanics but still adding diversity. I love the new talents for that reason.