Skill stat questions.

darksoul
Knight

Skill stat questions.

Post by darksoul » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:03 am

1) How does a character heal lost skill? Is a potion the only way?

2)If a character has a weapon that grants +1 skill, and they lose a point of skill point after they got the weapon, does everyone else play it as though the character has not lost the skill point as long as he is holding the weapon?
ie: hero gains weapon with +1 skill, but he's already at maximum score so the +1 skill doesn't benefit him.
He then loses 1 skill point. Does the weapon offset the loss as long as he is holding it?

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Re: Skill stat questions.

Post by Mr Nibbs » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:22 pm

darksoul wrote:1) How does a character heal lost skill? Is a potion the only way?

2)If a character has a weapon that grants +1 skill, and they lose a point of skill point after they got the weapon, does everyone else play it as though the character has not lost the skill point as long as he is holding the weapon?
ie: hero gains weapon with +1 skill, but he's already at maximum score so the +1 skill doesn't benefit him.
He then loses 1 skill point. Does the weapon offset the loss as long as he is holding it?
1. I would suggest that using a skill relies on a combination of knowledge, ability and physical capability. It would depend on the skill in question and the circumstances, but you can buy anything on Titan. :wink:

2. I would say no. The weapon bonus should only apply when it is being used as a weapon, unless it makes sense in a particular situation.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:55 pm

Mr Nibbs wrote:
2. I would say no. The weapon bonus should only apply when it is being used as a weapon, unless it makes sense in a particular situation.
This. A weapon doesn't technically add +1 to SKILL. It may add +1 to SKILL tests (including climbing, lock pickig etc) or may add +1 to combat total. I am sure i put something in the rules about this, but can't get to my books today due to other boxes...i will look tomorrow

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:10 am

Mr Nibbs wrote:
darksoul wrote:1) How does a character heal lost skill? Is a potion the only way?

1. I would suggest that using a skill relies on a combination of knowledge, ability and physical capability. It would depend on the skill in question and the circumstances, but you can buy anything on Titan. :wink:

I should have clarified my question Mr.Tibbs.
If something causes a player to reduce their current SKILL score, then how does he restore them? There is no spell in the game to restore the SKILL score. It seems that healing potions are the only way to do it.

I'll read the section on the magic items page for the 2nd part of my question.

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Post by Mr Nibbs » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:18 am

darksoul wrote:I should have clarified my question Mr.Tibbs.
If something causes a player to reduce their current SKILL score, then how does he restore them? There is no spell in the game to restore the SKILL score. It seems that healing potions are the only way to do it.

I'll read the section on the magic items page for the 2nd part of my question.
Mr Tibbs is the cat... :wink:

I think this is a special case where you would need to work through a specific situation. Think about why the skill score has been adjusted, make sense of it in your adventure and devise a house rule.

Some thoughts: in general, use of skills remains, it is the character's chance of success which is affected.
I suggest that no spell implies that the adjustment cannot be negated magically, and that a handy fix like a potion is also unknown. As I understand it, healing potions typically restore Stamina, which might not affect the cause of the adjustment.

Perhaps the lower skill level is meant to last for the rest of the adventure, requiring treatment and long term rest, or the character suffers a permanent injury and effect.

If you look at other games like BloodBowl Dark Elves (set on Titan) you get the idea of slapstick comedy violence with specific permanent injuries. These change stats which affect the chance of success when using skills. In complexity, it is somewhere between FF and AFF and works in a comparable way.

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:42 pm

Mr Nibbs wrote:
Mr Tibbs is the cat... :wink:

I think this is a special case where you would need to work through a specific situation. Think about why the skill score has been adjusted, make sense of it in your adventure and devise a house rule.

Some thoughts: in general, use of skills remains, it is the character's chance of success which is affected.
I suggest that no spell implies that the adjustment cannot be negated magically, and that a handy fix like a potion is also unknown. As I understand it, healing potions typically restore Stamina, which might not affect the cause of the adjustment.

Perhaps the lower skill level is meant to last for the rest of the adventure, requiring treatment and long term rest, or the character suffers a permanent injury and effect.

If you look at other games like BloodBowl Dark Elves (set on Titan) you get the idea of slapstick comedy violence with specific permanent injuries. These change stats which affect the chance of success when using skills. In complexity, it is somewhere between FF and AFF and works in a comparable way.

LOL! My bad! Even when I typed it at the time I had a feeling it was different.

I just went through the section on healing and discovered how skill points are restored. I think I'll read the book fully first and not assume that it's like the FF books.

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Post by Mr Nibbs » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:01 pm

darksoul wrote:LOL! My bad! Even when I typed it at the time I had a feeling it was different.

I just went through the section on healing and discovered how skill points are restored. I think I'll read the book fully first and not assume that it's like the FF books.
Couldn't resist it, sorry. :lol:

I think of AFF2 as an expanded AFF, which was GW's "rpg-lite" version of FF. It's a different type of game now.

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:37 am

parkusuk wrote:
Mr Nibbs wrote:
This. A weapon doesn't technically add +1 to SKILL. It may add +1 to SKILL tests (including climbing, lock pickig etc) or may add +1 to combat total. I am sure i put something in the rules about this, but can't get to my books today due to other boxes...i will look tomorrow
Hey, from the weapons I have seen in the main book so far, none seem to add a bonus to skill. They add a bonus to combat roll or damage.

A similar situation occurred with a player of mine when I ran him through the well adventure. He had discovered the ring that gives him +2 stamina and put it on. I told him that the ring does not let him go past his initial score, so the ring does not give him extra Stamina, it only restores any lost stamina. He decided that he would wear the ring till fully healed, take it off, then when he loses stamina, put it back on and repeat this process. I allowed it.

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:39 am

Mr Nibbs wrote:
darksoul wrote:LOL! My bad! Even when I typed it at the time I had a feeling it was different.

Couldn't resist it, sorry. :lol:

I think of AFF2 as an expanded AFF, which was GW's "rpg-lite" version of FF. It's a different type of game now.
Lol, all good :)
Now that I've fully read it I really like it. It's been streamlined a lot. I do have some questions I discovered along the way.

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Post by Mr Nibbs » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:25 pm

darksoul wrote:Hey, from the weapons I have seen in the main book so far, none seem to add a bonus to skill. They add a bonus to combat roll or damage.

A similar situation occurred with a player of mine when I ran him through the well adventure. He had discovered the ring that gives him +2 stamina and put it on. I told him that the ring does not let him go past his initial score, so the ring does not give him extra Stamina, it only restores any lost stamina. He decided that he would wear the ring till fully healed, take it off, then when he loses stamina, put it back on and repeat this process. I allowed it.
I think the logic is that weapon bonuses reflect exceptionally high quality or a magical improvement. Skills are about training and better ability to wield a type of weapon, the weapon itself would not affect this.

I'm not sure about using a +2 ring to duplicate the effects of healing and would be inclined to treat it like a bonus. I think it more reasonable to assume that it absorbs two points of damage. Allowing players to top up stamina too often can make it bit too easy for them, I think.

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:08 am

Mr Nibbs wrote:
darksoul wrote:Hey, from the weapons I have seen in the main book so far, none seem to add a bonus to skill. They add a bonus to combat roll or damage.

I think the logic is that weapon bonuses reflect exceptionally high quality or a magical improvement. Skills are about training and better ability to wield a type of weapon, the weapon itself would not affect this.

I'm not sure about using a +2 ring to duplicate the effects of healing and would be inclined to treat it like a bonus. I think it more reasonable to assume that it absorbs two points of damage. Allowing players to top up stamina too often can make it bit too easy for them, I think.
Good point. I wouldn't have allowed him to put on/remove the ring constantly to restore all stamina. If he put on the ring while hurt I would have allowed him to restore 2 stamina, but if he removed it I would remove 2 stamina. So the ring only gives a 2 stamina bonus provided he has lost stamina, and provided he is wearing the ring.

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Post by Mr Nibbs » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:13 pm

darksoul wrote:So the ring only gives a 2 stamina bonus provided he has lost stamina, and provided he is wearing the ring.
I think the idea is that the +2 bonus is available at any time. Think of it as a magical shield usable only once until recharged. It will absorb two points of damage which would otherwise be sustained.