Clarification on "HOW" sorcery spell.

darksoul
Knight

Clarification on "HOW" sorcery spell.

Post by darksoul » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:49 am

Does the "HOW" spell only work if there is a perilous situation?
Can a player use the "HOW" spell to find a missing person in a dungeon instead of avoiding danger.
There seems to be some difference between the wording of the spell and it's game mechanic description.

torus
Knight

Re: Clarification on "HOW" sorcery spell.

Post by torus » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:38 pm

I think HOW should be like a magical sixth sense, i.e. in response to perilous situations like you say. So maybe if the missing person was in peril, then it would help..

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:45 am

I am putting my players in the Dark Chasms in SW Khul from the book Chasms of Malice. I want them to find a specific person. There will be dangers along the way and the journey will take a while since they have to navigate through the caves. The person they are looking for is supposed to give them advice on their quest. So the person themselves is not in peril.

I'm not sure if allowing them to use the spell in this way may be a problem and lead to exploitation of the spell. The catch here is that the sorcerer will have to expend stamina often. So maybe it's not prone to exploitation.

What do you think?

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:19 pm

My view would it would give vague indications of direction. Reading the description again, it seems HOW is intended to give the caster insight ('a psychic nudge') into a question about the immediate future, not a general more distant one. So a choice at a junction, but not more specific information unless there is a real threat. And as you say, the STAMINA cost should start to be problematic if the caster over-uses it.

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:35 am

torus wrote:My view would it would give vague indications of direction. Reading the description again, it seems HOW is intended to give the caster insight ('a psychic nudge') into a question about the immediate future, not a general more distant one. So a choice at a junction, but not more specific information unless there is a real threat. And as you say, the STAMINA cost should start to be problematic if the caster over-uses it.
I agree. I didn't plan the spell to have a long term effect. Its only usable for immediate situations. If players want to head to their contact, but come to an intersection, then they cast the spell and the least dangerous one is hinted at. If they encounter another intersection, then they have to cast the spell again.

I'm not sure if an immediate "danger" must be present for the spell to work, or if they can find someone when there isn't any dangers that they will encounter along the way.