two questions and two ideas for Talents

Northst4r7

two questions and two ideas for Talents

Post by Northst4r7 » Fri May 09, 2014 2:16 am

Questions
in AFF2 p. 48-50, 59 there are penalties for carrying heavy weight and carrying very heavy weight. Page 50 describes being encumbered as carrying more than your allowance (10 + Strength special skill), which is considered very heavy weight. So my first question is:

-What is considered carrying heavy weight? Maybe half of your allowance, or at exactly maximum allowance? Apologies if this was already asked and answered.

My second question was already asked but I'd also like to know the answer:

-What is the damage matrix for Very Large Bite, as seen in a few monster entries from Beyond the Pit?

:)

Talents
-Martial Artist/Monk
this was already addressed in a topic on this board: arion-games.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=330
but I had my own ideas prior to seeing that topic.

Martial Artist: You have studied for years under a master of unarmed combat, and now your body is a weapon. With this Talent, when fighting unarmed, use the Brawl special skill; however you do not face the usual -4 penalty as described on page 64 of AFF2. The damage you deal corresponds to your Brawl special skill:

Brawl Special Skill / Damage Roll
1 (force of a stone) 1 1 2 2 2 3 4
2 (force of a club) 1 2 2 2 3 3 4
3 (force of a staff) 1 2 3 3 3 3 4
4 (force of a mace/warhammer) 2 3 3 3 3 3 4
5 (force of a morning star) 1 2 2 3 4 4 5
6 (force of a ...battle axe?) 3 3 3 3 4 4 5

Feel free to adjust any numbers as you see fit; especially consider increasing the first few numbers of damage for rank 5 (force of a morning star), so it reads: 2 3 3 3 4 4 5. I wanted to stick to bludgeoning weapons as a basis for damage ideas, so I was unsure what to use for rank 6, use whatever you like or simply make up your own numbers.
In addition (optionally, Director's discretion), this Talent allows you to use the Dodge special skill to reduce damage as per the Swashbuckler Talent (p. 33, 64 AFF2).
This Talent as presented is very powerful (two talents in one), so there should be restrictions, such as living by a strict code (never using weapons or armour, not eating red meat, etc.), or maybe the character's next talent will cost more XP (50-100% more).
This Talent can only be chosen at character creation, unless the Director allows it to be learned during a "downtime" of several years.

-Momentum: You live for battle, you only feel alive when you are in danger! This fuels your inner strength, and as the fight goes on, you become unstoppable. However this takes a toll on your body.

This Talent allows you to add an ever increasing number each combat round to your combat score and/or other skill rolls at the Director's discretion. Use an extra die to keep track of the bonus, which starts at 1 on the second round of combat, then 2 on the third, etc. to the maximum of 6 on the seventh round and higher. The Director may allow you to start with 1 on the first round if you surprise your opponent(s).

After the combat encounter, you lose Stamina equal to the modifier used on the final round of combat. As per a Sorcerer (p. 81 AFF2), these Stamina points cannot be recovered by the use of the Healing special skill; only food, sleep, potions, and priestly powers can recover Stamina lost from this Talent. A character cannot be reduced to less than 0 Stamina from the after effects of this Talent. At 0 Stamina the character falls unconscious, exhausted, but will not be considered dying as on p. 65 of AFF2, and thus will not lose 1 Luck per round.

You may choose not to use Momentum in a combat, or to use it at a later round (the first bonus occurs on the round after declaration), but once used, you cannot stop it!

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Re: two questions and two ideas for Talents

Post by Mr Nibbs » Fri May 09, 2014 12:45 pm

Encumbrance isn't just about weight. It's also about how awkward something is to carry. Imagine carrying 40kg of feathers...