proportion of thepopulation by skill

Slloyd14
Site Admin

proportion of thepopulation by skill

Postby Slloyd14 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:23 pm

Just wondering what people think about how much of the population have a particular kill value or a value in a special skill. Here's my opinion:

Skill 5 or less: about 85%
Skill 6: 10%
Skill 7: 3%
Skill 8: 1%
Skill 9: 0.5%
Skill 10: 0.25%
Skill 11: 0.1%
Skill 12: 0.01%

The proportion of people whose highest special skill score (not including languages) is:

2 or less about 80%
3: 18%
4: 1%
5: 0.1%
6: 0.01%

The numbers are rough. What do people think?
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.
darksoul
Knight

Re: proportion of thepopulation by skill

Postby darksoul » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:39 am

Sounds about right, but why do you need this info?
Slloyd14
Site Admin

Postby Slloyd14 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:22 am

darksoul wrote:Sounds about right, but why do you need this info?

Just because I'm a completist.

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.
torus
Knight

Postby torus » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:10 pm

I'd largely go along with these numbers - pretty much in agreement with my thoughts previously in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=397&p=2137#p2137. If anything I'd make the high SKILL value even more rare. Something like:

Skill 4 or less: about 20%
Skill 5: 60%
Skill 6: 15%
Skill 9: 0.1%
Skill 10: 0.01%
Skill 11: 0.001%
Skill 12: 0.0001%

SKILL 12 individuals are almost superhumanly able, with I think ~97% chance of success at typical tasks for which they have no previous training or expertise. One in a million seems about right for this.
darksoul
Knight

Postby darksoul » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:39 pm

Just a few points I wanted to add to complicate these charts.

These numbers only apply to humans. In other races the numbers would be different.
In near extinct or rare humanoid races the numbers wouldn't even match the scaling pattern.

Troglodytes are listed as skill 5. This is assumed to be their warrior class/hunter gatherer class.
Every book encounter with a shapechanger is a skill 10 challenge.

Also, the higher skill level of 10-12 may have a higher percentage number, but from a statistical story perspective(not a comparative real world census statistical perspective) the % of skill 10-12 creatures may be much higher since we use sk 10-12 creatures as needed for the story, not based on a random encounter.
Slloyd14
Site Admin

Postby Slloyd14 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:06 pm

darksoul wrote:Just a few points I wanted to add to complicate these charts.

These numbers only apply to humans. In other races the numbers would be different.
In near extinct or rare humanoid races the numbers wouldn't even match the scaling pattern.

Troglodytes are listed as skill 5. This is assumed to be their warrior class/hunter gatherer class.
Every book encounter with a shapechanger is a skill 10 challenge.

Also, the higher skill level of 10-12 may have a higher percentage number, but from a statistical story perspective(not a comparative real world census statistical perspective) the % of skill 10-12 creatures may be much higher since we use sk 10-12 creatures as needed for the story, not based on a random encounter.

Now I would like to know (whether there is an official line on this or if it is opinion) if a skill 10 monster in the various 'pit' books actually have a skill of 10 or whether its skill + combat skill is 10 and they don't bother to differentiate as you're just going to kill it anyway. I have learnt that I shouldn't write out every skill and talent of an NPC, but you should know their natural skill just in case they need to do a test for something that they are not used to.

torus
Knight

Postby torus » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:01 am

Surely the only feasible interpretation is that monster SKILL values include relevant combat special skills for whatever mode of attack they use. That's certainly how they are used in practice. I suppose if you needed a monster's base skill for some reason I'd assume a value in the same range as that for humans. Perhaps some creatures like elves are skewed to slightly higher skill values, while others such as goblins would tend to be lower.
darksoul
Knight

Postby darksoul » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:39 am

Slloyd14 wrote: Now I would like to know (whether there is an official line on this or if it is opinion) if a skill 10 monster in the various 'pit' books actually have a skill of 10 or whether its skill + combat skill is 10 and they don't bother to differentiate as you're just going to kill it anyway. I have learnt that I shouldn't write out every skill and talent of an NPC, but you should know their natural skill just in case they need to do a test for something that they are not used to.

My current opinion is that monster stats are purely for combat since the only reason you needed to know their stats from the game books was combat.
Whether that is their Skill + special skill depends on the creature. If it's humanoid, I make it skill + special skill. If it's a beast then I make that I say it's only the skill and no special skill is added.
Slloyd14
Site Admin

Postby Slloyd14 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:57 pm

Also, from a stat point of view, having a skill of 12 compared to 11 is almost pointless as you fail on a 12 regardless. The cost of XP to go from 10 to 11 (220xp) might not be worth the probability increase of 2/36 it grants. The thing with a 2d6 system is that when you improve to 8 or more, it gives you less and less probability increase.

torus wrote:I'd largely go along with these numbers - pretty much in agreement with my thoughts previously in this thread: http://arion-games.com/bb/viewtopic.php ... 2137#p2137. If anything I'd make the high SKILL value even more rare. Something like:

SKILL 12 individuals are almost superhumanly able, with I think ~97% chance of success at typical tasks for which they have no previous training or expertise. One in a million seems about right for this.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Postby Slloyd14 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:48 pm

Now that the rule that special skills should be nore more than 1/2 a character's skill are canon, these numbers are different.

Here are Torus's values as they are best:

Since the population with a skill of 6 or above is 19.1111% at most, we need to change these numbers a bit, so that the skill values can be no more than the percentage of people with twice that value in SKILL.

2 or less: about 85%
3: about 14%
4: 0.5%
5: 0.05%
6: 0.00001%

Of course, some people may have MAGIC scores of 12 which give them 6 points in a skill. But I'll think of that later.

I'm just going through my posts to make my definitive AFF collection of stuff.

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”