Casting spells while hands are bound?

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
RobertWF

Casting spells while hands are bound?

Post by RobertWF » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:10 pm

Can spellcasters cast spells while their hands are bound?

What if the spellcaster is gagged?

Nuvole!
Archmage

Re: Casting spells while hands are bound?

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:59 am

I never allowed that. Not even with a single hand bound.
I alllowed spellcasting with feet bound, but with no hand and voice restriction.
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:16 am

That's a good way to go. It's a bit of a limitation on their power and also some nice flavour to have them waving hands and saying arcane phrases. Although some might be a bit more theatrical about it than they need to be...

You might rule that for cantrips mumbling under your breath (or through a gag with a penalty) is enough. That allows some creative ways of getting out of captivity without making it easy.

Also Sorcery spells maybe only need words but not hand signals. They usually have a sword in one hand and a spell component in the other!

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:10 am

The original Blacksand and Allansia say that minor magic spells only need a small gesture to cast (Such as wiggling your nose or ears).
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:11 am

I would allow a cantrip to be cast, but not other spells. Sorcery would depend. Jig absolutely not, but maybe some...

RobertWF

Post by RobertWF » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:17 pm

"Teleport" would allow the spellcaster to escape bondage in seconds unless the GM ruled the spell requires hand gestures and a vocal component.

Ruling out all spells but cantrips for bound and gagged spellcasters makes sense and still leaves the player with options. The "Burn" cantrip can burn through rope. Iron manacles would pose a more serious challenge.