Luck scores for monsters

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
RobertWF

Luck scores for monsters

Post by RobertWF » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:22 pm

I've noticed that many monsters listed in the in the AFF Core rulebook do not have a Luck score. The rules suggest the GM use the monster's Skill score when rolling to resist a spell cast on them.

However some monsters have fairly high Skill scores, for example 9 for the Minotaur and 8 for the Cave Troll, while at the same time being fairly unsophisticated when it comes to magic powers.

Would it be safe to assign non-magical creatures a Luck score of 5 for magic resistance purposes?

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Re: Luck scores for monsters

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:01 am

I'd consider each spell case by case but magic resistance might not be the best way to think of it.

With a damage causing spell you can see coming like Firebolt I'd think it was more about reactions and throwing yourself out the way. Those usually say characters can use Dodge or Luck. So slow creatures might get a penalty on their Skill for those, although the Minotaur and the Cave Troll probably are quick enough in a fight.

But if the spell was something to do with the mind like Command and they're not that bright you might put a penalty on their Skill score to resist. The Cave Troll has an intelligence of Low so a -2 or -3 there seems okay.

Then there's something like Explode which is physical but you can't see it coming. Hard to know what helps you resist that, maybe it really is just luck or maybe it's to do with the strength of their "life force". Either way I'd just let them check against Skill without a penalty.

End of the day you don't want to make it too easy for the players. On the other hand making some spells work a bit better against the right creature will get them thinking.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:03 am

As an optional (=house) rule I assign LUCK scores even to opponents and I think it makes a lot of sense.
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:22 pm

If you don't want each monster to have an individual luck score, the director could have a luck score that they can use on any monster they control.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:44 pm

That's another possible house rule.
Anyway, from my experience, having LUCK scores for monsters and enemies isn't complicate at all.
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

RobertWF

Post by RobertWF » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:06 pm

Thanks guys, yes I think treating spell resistance on a case by case basis makes sense.

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:36 am

Imo, it's not needed. Assume that the monsters luck is the same as it's skill score, just like the AFF book says.
Then keep track each time a spell has been cast at a monster and reduce the next spell resistance attempt by 1. Skill 12 monster who had 2 spells cast at him must roll under 10 next time.tI