A simpler way to power up spells

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Slloyd14
Site Admin

A simpler way to power up spells

Post by Slloyd14 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:15 am

After going through the list of spells that can be powered up, I've noticed that some spells can have their range increased by spending more magic points and some can't, so as I'm all for simplicity, how about this rule.

Any spell with a range, area affect (including volume effect for breach and explode) or duration can have one of those factors doubled by casting the cost of the spell again.

As long as things like damage or stat increases can't be affected, it shouldn't break spells because there is usually a limit to how much of those you want. There is no point in having a fire bolt with a range of 1600m if your target is 2m away. It doesn't matter if you put a troll to sleep for 80 minutes if you need 10 minutes to search his room and escape.

So if a wizard wanted a sentry spell that was 40m away from him and lasted for 96 hours, it would cost 8 points (2 points for the spell, 2 points to double the range from 20 to 40 and 4 points to double the duration twice)

Looking through the spells, the spells that would be made weaker by this would be: Wall of Power, Earthquake, See Through. Weather control for lower durations.

Spells that will still have powerups that aren't related to duration, area or range: Peace, Poison.

Spells that might go nuts because of the doubling rule: Explode, Breach.

What do you think?
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

RobertWF

Re: A simpler way to power up spells

Post by RobertWF » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:23 pm

That's an interesting idea.

Another thought is allow magic users to cast "meta" spells that modify the range, duration, or potency of other spells being cast.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:15 am

RobertWF wrote:That's an interesting idea.

Another thought is allow magic users to cast "meta" spells that modify the range, duration, or potency of other spells being cast.
That is good too.

Extend spell (+2)

When this spell is cast along with a spell that has a duration, it doubles that spell's duration. This spell may be cast any number of times (casting it twice quadruples the duration).

Lengthen spell (+1)

When this spell is cast along with a spell that has a range, it doubles that spell's range. This spell may be cast any number of times (casting it twice quadruples the range).

Enlarge spell (+2)

When this spell is cast along with a spell that has an area or volume effect, it doubles that spell's area or volume effect. This spell may be cast any number of times (casting it twice quadruples the area or volume effect).

I think enlarge spell and extend spell should cost more as increasing an area effect would make a bigger difference than range or duration. However, for spells over 2, it is still a profit in terms of magic points. Of course, you have to spend points to learn the spell and make a roll when you cast it, so it balances out (?).

I wouldn't imagine that most 1 and 2 cost spells would need powering up. I imagine that these are reserved for the sort of spells that have a massive effect (like weather control, bridge, earthquake etc)
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:05 pm

Great idea but I'm not sure about the costs. A fixed 2 extra points is too much for 1 point spells and it would be good to power up some of those too. Befuddle for example, the 1 minute duration isn't enough depending what you're trying to do. I'm wondering about half the base cost of the spell rounded up? Plus where a description already has a cost for a power up that applies instead.