No magic AFF rules

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Slloyd14
Site Admin

No magic AFF rules

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:05 pm

Hi all! I know AFF is a low magic setting anyway, but a lot of the characters you come across are magical. So here are the rules for no and low magic AFF. The good thing about AFF is that non-magical healing is quite strong - you can restore 8 stamina a day just by getting 2 meals and plenty of sleep.

No Magic AFF

Skills to remove: Magic - Wizardry, Magic - Sorcery, Magic - Priestly, Magic - Minor, Magic - Necromancy, Magic - Mask Magic, Magic - Conjuration, Magic - Tattooing, Magic - Battle Magic, Magic - Enchanting Magic Lore, Second Sight.

Talents to remove: Templar, Dark Veil, Magical Resistance, Clearsight, Arcane, Attuned, Blessed, Focus, Holy, Natural Mage, Physical Empowerment.

Items: Masterwork weapons could give a +1 to damage rolls instead of magical weapons. There can be plenty of herbal healing items (that restore up to 6 stamina points). Firepowder weapons could have more prominence. Most magical sundries could still be used, but they work because of science and tech rather than magic.

Adventures: Due to readily available non-magical healing, there could still be plenty of combat, but adventures can also focus on other skills to overcome problems, such as movement, stealth and interaction. Knowledge could have more practical applications - Engineering could give a bonus to trap removal, animal lore could give a bonus in combat against certain creatures. Adventures could focus on other situations such as managing a holding or leading troops.

Coming up...low magic AFF
Last edited by Slloyd14 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Re: No magic AFF rules

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:48 am

I hadn't thought about it before but it's true, AFF wouldn't be completely unbalanced by not always having a "healer" along. Maybe because in the gamebooks you were mostly by yourself so it had to be able to work that way?

Anyway, no magic is certainly workable in AFF and might make for an interesting campaign. Personally I'd prefer low to no, but that can run all the way to Wizards being so rare a lot of people doubt they're real, only having seen the odd street charlatan. I'm not sure I'd take it that far for AFF as the background doesn't seem as low magic as that, but you could. I'll be interested to see what you ideas you have in the low magic post!

Nuvole!
Archmage

Re: No magic AFF rules

Post by Nuvole! » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:21 am

This ( http://www.ffproject.com/bodies.htm ) is a Chthulu-style Fighting Fantasy adventure with the appropriate adaptations, including "no magic" and to me it works brilliantly.
One of the very good aspects of this ruleset is that it can be easily customized and adapted as you like!
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.