PDF

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Pożeracz zwłok

PDF

Post by Pożeracz zwłok » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:32 pm

Ave,

Are ya going to release pdf-form of AFF? We'd like to play it but there is no pdf, my buds don't want to buy physical copies...
Death to one of dying mercenaries:
"I'm going to cast two 6-sided dice. If the score be higher than 12 you're safe"

Nuvole!
Archmage

Re: PDF

Post by Nuvole! » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:53 pm

Honestly, I think that for most players the Quickstart guide can be enough (and that's only in pdf version).
Most part of AFF is for the Directors' eyes only and it's better for players not to read it.
Only exception to this is probably magic.
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:48 am

Yeah I don't see why the players even need a copy of the rulebook to play. I don't think it's good for players to have all the rules to study, it just encourages minimaxing and rules-lawyering. It's better they leave the mechanics to the Director, trust them to be fair and focus on roleplaying their characters.

Also if the players don't want to pay for what is a pretty cheap book they also probably don't want to pay a little less for an official PDF. Putting new books together costs money. So if people aren't paying for the books/PDFs then new material won't get published and we all miss out.

On the other hand it's true it's easier to get players enthusiastic about a game if they have something they can read to get into it. I don't have a copy of the quickstart and the website's closed for renovations, does it include any info on Titan? Maybe there could be two quickstarts, one for the Director with what they need to get started and another for players with some world fluff and the info about character gen?

Pożeracz zwłok

Post by Pożeracz zwłok » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:50 am

There's a lack of magic in the quickstart. It's very poor.
I have got my complet of all rulebooks, don't kn9ow why they don't want to buy it. Perhaps we're playing many settings and that's is simply too much 4 them? Maybe.
The One Ring, Barbarians of Lemuria, Neuroshima, Age of Arthur, Beasts and Barbarians, Warhammer, Openquest 2... It's an expensive hobby like you see :)
"I'm going to cast two 6-sided dice. If the score be higher than 12 you're safe"

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:30 pm

I don't agree that the Quickstart guide is very poor: I think it's an invaluable tool for starting players.
Magic isn't fully explained, but you don't necessarily need it in a group of starters or you can have limited information directly by the Director just covering the little magic that a novice charater needs to know (I actually often use pre-generated characters that the players can choose to start up as quickly as possible and on the characters sheets are all the required indications, as you can see also in the pre-generated characters of thequickstart guide).
Then, if the players really want to know much more (and spoil part of the fun of being surprised by the unknown), they can well buy the books.
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Pożeracz zwłok

Post by Pożeracz zwłok » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:30 am

What about domain's depiction and description? There isn't any in this shortcut. Yeah, magic too.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:27 am

I think this is all an issue of approach to roleplaying: how much do you want that your players know?

I like when they know as little as possible, putting them in the same perspective of their characters.
This way they can enjoy discovering things with roleplaying: if they know from the beginning that there are various different schools of magic, for example, and that a green wig or a skull cap can be useful spell components, they won't start laughing if they see somebody with a green wig or a skull cap coming in their direction, but they'll start preparing counter measures against pecific spells, even if their characters did never encounter the sorcery style of magic.
This is called (also) metagaming and it's something I avoid like plague as much as I can, as it opens the way for power playing and you will have plenty of discussions with the players that will open the Director's book and questions all your rules interpretations. I can't think about anything more boring for a Director.

If the players don't know exactly every single nut and bolt of the rulebooks, you'll be able to use more your brain for interpreting it and making it more realistic (we all know that sometimes the rulebooks or the die rolls don't make perfect sense). On top of this, the players will have to roleplay much more, instead of doing maths.
This can be true also for managing domains (something that you won't do at the start of the game anyway, isn't it?): instead of having in front of them a formulation for ruling their domain, they will have to roleplay it, with the Director playing their administrators etc.
If your players want to have all the ruleset available to them (including the parts that are reserved to the Director or the parts that are not yet relevant to novice characters), maybe they should be Directors and not players, as the basis of role playing is playing your (current) role and not somebody else's role.

Pożeracz zwłok

Post by Pożeracz zwłok » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:55 am

I think this is all an issue of approach to roleplaying: how much do you want that your players know?
They must know sth about a universe they play in.
I like when they know as little as possible, putting them in the same perspective of their characters.
Their characters do know more, i think, about lands, rulers, races living in there, currency, poeple, than players could find out using mentioned shortcut. There one can find onlu simplest of rules. Nothing more.
If your players want to have all the ruleset available to them (including the parts that are reserved to the Director or the parts that are not yet relevant to novice characters), maybe they should be Directors and not players, as the basis of role playing is playing your (current) role and not somebody else's role.
I don't want to create 4 characters one after another, because only I have the rulebook :) The most important thing.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:45 am

Having had a look at the quickstart again now, yeah it just covers what you need to try the game with pregenerated characters. Which is fair enough as... that's what it's for.

I can see a place for a thin players book that just has char gen and a bit of "common knowledge" world info, and maybe it would be good if that was a cheap PDF. I wouldn't include the spells in it though, they should only know about the spells they have and you can give them those.

Pożeracz zwłok

Post by Pożeracz zwłok » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:11 pm

I'll try without the rulebooks at my pleyers. There is no other way. :) So be it, I don't complain.