Minor Characteristics

shintokamikaze
Hero

Re: Minor Characteristics

Post by shintokamikaze » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:27 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:Yeah and I hope it's clear this was only ever a bolt on to add some extra character detail, it's not replacing anything and it's not suggesting there's anything wrong with the system. Talents are great for making characters special, I'm a fan. This is adding natural ability to all the abilities you can learn. Personally I like complicated character generation/development and in-game mechanics that get in the way as little as possible, everyone has their preferences.

For anyone who does want to give it a try I've come up with a better way to generate minor characteristics. The player rolls 2d6 for each MC the Director decides to use in the game (so 3 times if you go with Strength, Intellect and Looks). The player then decides which number goes with each minor characteristic. That better fits the control the AFF2 character gen system gives the player to shape their character.
So. Combat, movement, and stealth go with the normal skill score. So whats the break down on the knowledge special skills and looks and intellect,Strength minor skills. Could you out line the rule changes

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:38 pm

However you generate them they should be capped at 12 so they're on the same scale as SKILL.

As far as points buy goes, I prefer the lottery of life approach for MCs. With a 2d6 roll you're more likely to get a result in the middle than at the extremes, but I like there's a small chance they could be strong, smart and handsome. Points buy that's not possible because you have to take from one to give to another.

You could do a partial points buy where they roll 2d6 and decide which roll goes with which MC to fit the character they've going for. Then you have a pool that's 1 point per MC, so a 3 point pool with the 3 MCs I suggested. They can add those points between the MCs as they like but keeping to the 12 cap.

Another alternative is roll 2d6 four times and they can discard the lowest before deciding which goes with which MC. I'd prefer that if your players like their characters being exceptional.
Last edited by SkinnyOrc on Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

shintokamikaze
Hero

Post by shintokamikaze » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:54 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:However you generate them they should be capped at 12 so they're on the same scale as SKILL.

As far as points buy goes, I prefer the lottery of life approach for MCs. With a 2d6 roll you're more likely to get a result in the middle than at the extremes, but I like there's a small chance they could be strong, smart and handsome. Points buy that's not possible because you have to take from one to give to another.

You could do a partial points buy where they roll 2d6 and decide which roll goes with which MC to fit the character they've going for. Then you have a pool that's 1 point per MC, so a 3 point pool with the 3 MCs I suggested. They can add those points between the MCs as they like but keeping to the 12 cap.

Another alternative is roll 2d6 four times and they can discard the lowest before deciding which goes with which MC.
yes, the rolls do have an average of 7 or 8. you could let them roll all the dice again if the first set sucked, but they would have to stick with the second set, the more I think about it the more I like it.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:38 am

shintokamikaze wrote:So whats the break down on the knowledge special skills and looks and intellect,Strength minor skills.
The Strength special skill is probably the only one you'd add to the Strength MC and has a good description of situations where it applies. For the Intellect MC I'd say the following special skills fit it; any Lore, Evaluate, Healing, any Languages, Law and Secret Signs. Looks I would allow to be the basis for a test any time it involved persuasion of someone attracted to their gender.

Things like Crafting, Fishing and Hunting I'd leave with SKILL tests. They have a knowledge element but are more about physical proficiencies and could perhaps even have been Movement skills (keep in mind there's also Sea Lore and Forest Lore for the knowledge side). If you had a Manual Dexterity MC they'd fit that but it doesn't seem worthwhile for how often you'd use it.

Bargain, Con, Etiquette and Leadership I think can all be handled by SKILL tests too. But then I'm considering SKILL as still covering charisma type stuff based on the idea that adventurers are confident and impressive.

It has to be a bit case by case. So while charming the nobility would be SKILL + Etiquette (or Looks + Etiquette sometimes), knowing an obscure rule of etiquette might be Intellect + Etiquette. End of the day it doesn't matter much as long as it seems okay to you and the players.

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:02 pm

Check the post (N) PC knowledge it was made with this is mind
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

shintokamikaze
Hero

Post by shintokamikaze » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:52 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:
shintokamikaze wrote:So whats the break down on the knowledge special skills and looks and intellect,Strength minor skills.
The Strength special skill is probably the only one you'd add to the Strength MC and has a good description of situations where it applies. For the Intellect MC I'd say the following special skills fit it; any Lore, Evaluate, Healing, any Languages, Law and Secret Signs. Looks I would allow to be the basis for a test any time it involved persuasion of someone attracted to their gender.

Things like Crafting, Fishing and Hunting I'd leave with SKILL tests. They have a knowledge element but are more about physical proficiencies and could perhaps even have been Movement skills (keep in mind there's also Sea Lore and Forest Lore for the knowledge side). If you had a Manual Dexterity MC they'd fit that but it doesn't seem worthwhile for how often you'd use it.

Bargain, Con, Etiquette and Leadership I think can all be handled by SKILL tests too. But then I'm considering SKILL as still covering charisma type stuff based on the idea that adventurers are confident and impressive.

It has to be a bit case by case. So while charming the nobility would be SKILL + Etiquette (or Looks + Etiquette sometimes), knowing an obscure rule of etiquette might be Intellect + Etiquette. End of the day it doesn't matter much as long as it seems okay to you and the players.
I love this concept, some of my friends are put off from AFF2 because of just having the flat skill score for all roles.
Would brawl not go with Strength. I think it would be better to call the minor skill brawn not Strength, it seems a bit strange having 2 skills of the same name.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:06 pm

My opinion's that fighting without a weapon would also be SKILL but with the option to use Strength instead if it's higher. So that'd be a bear hug or hands round the neck trying to crush the life out of someone, that sort of thing.

shintokamikaze
Hero

Post by shintokamikaze » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:41 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:My opinion's that fighting without a weapon would also be SKILL but with the option to use Strength instead if it's higher. So that'd be a bear hug or hands round the neck trying to crush the life out of someone, that sort of thing.
Good call

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:53 am

shintokamikaze wrote:I think it would be better to call the minor skill brawn not Strength, it seems a bit strange having 2 skills of the same name.
Strength minor characteristic and Strength special skill could get confusing you're right. Although it is in the AFF tradition of SKILL and special skill ;)

Yep calling it Brawn is good, I can't come up with anything better!

Lorian
Knight

Post by Lorian » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:13 pm

How about stalwartness?
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...

Lorian
Knight

Post by Lorian » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:14 pm

Or fortitude?

Lorian
Knight

Post by Lorian » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:15 pm

Or endowment?

Lorian
Knight

Post by Lorian » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:16 pm

Or prerogative?

Lorian
Knight

Post by Lorian » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:17 pm

Or inclination?

Lorian
Knight

Post by Lorian » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:21 pm

Or conviction?