Allansia, Khul, or The Old World? Other?

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
GreatArc

Allansia, Khul, or The Old World? Other?

Post by GreatArc » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:11 am

Curious to ask which continent, if any, you prefer to or instinctively place your game?

For myself, it seems as if the game suggests Allansia (the 'New World?') as a sort of North and South America, The Old World as Europe/Eurasia, and Khul as Africa (Hell, they literally share the name 'The Dark Continent'). The placement of the continents in relation to one another seems to slightly invite this comparison as well.

As we cannot help but think slightly hemispherically-centric in terms of our own natural subconscious geographical identities, I wonder if others sort of think of their "own" continent as the one you are drawn to? For myself, as a Canadian, this would fit my predisposition towards Allansia. Have a few quick questions of any of you:

1.) What continent do you live on? Which continent in Titan do you feel mirrors your own?

2.) Do just tend to assume you are on one unless there's a reason to begin a game on another?

3.) Why would anyone ever not run their game on Allansia? Just from a pragmatic point of view, if you play on any other, a full 20% of the Advanced Fighting Fantasy materials (50% if you are running first edition!) become useless to you. Why would I ever arbitrarily start a campaign somewhere I know I cannot use Blacksand! The most fleshed out and wonderful geographical resource AFF ever put out? Even if I set up anywhere else on the continent, I have at least not basically tossed away any chance of ever using Blacksand! if I ever wanted to. Characters rarely travel across continents, and it should represent weeks of adventure if they decide to. Almost prohibitive to using Blacksand is to not run your game on Allansia.

4.) How many of you just don't use the world of Titan? I am tempted not to and just open up a new game and import Blacksand!

Your thoughts?

darksoul
Knight

Re: Allansia, Khul, or The Old World? Other?

Post by darksoul » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:09 am

That's not the take I got on any of the continents.

All the Continents are a unique Hodge podge of cultures.
Originally the books weren't even considered as belonging to any one place until...I think it was caverns of the snow witch.
Allansia seems to be based on Literary Fantasy, standard fantasy and conan the barbarian. The more south you go in Allansia, the more foreign it becomes. Arabic and middle eastern and African cultures emerge. Deathtrap dungeoun is interesting because it mixes, knights, elves, ninjas and barbarians into 1 place. Kaypong it self has a very Asian feel.

Parts of the Old world are based on Early modern England(Queen Elizabeth the First and before). Other parts are based on horror stories of Transylvania(Curse of the Vampire). The Sorcery Epic take place in Analand as well and it really is far from anything civilized. I think I read that the sorcery epic was influenced by Steve Jacksons trip to Thailand or something like that.

I don't mean to make this sound weird, but Khul is my area of specialty. I ran a story in Khul and researched the Hell out of it before I ran my story. Khul isn't africa...well there might be parts of the middle east there.
Steve Jackson put his stories in Analand, Ian Livingston put his stories in Allansia. Any other Author put their stories in Khul
And Khul is bizarre. Khul is a mix of standard fantasy, Cthullu, Arabic style invaders, a kingdom of Goblins, a mongol inspired civilization, a british knight culture with Japanese influence, a dark caverned land with people who can see in the dark, Samurais, Chinese inspired cultures, pirate inspired and Arabic inspired cultures.

I'm Canadian, too, but the different lands are just way to different geographically from our world. There really is nothing American about "The New World" despite the name associated with it. My preferences lie with Allansia and Khul, but that's only because I grew up with Allansia and it was the first series. I know Khul because I researched it. I don't know much about The Old World.

I wouldn't say that 20% of the materials become useless if you only run in Allansia. Sure, you can't use Blacksand, but if we are speaking about how things should strictly stick to their geography, then Allansia would not have access to sorcery Style magic because that came from Analand in the Old world and you couldn't run the Sorcery Campaign.

Also, your argument can just as easily say "Why bother playing in the rest of Allansia, Blacksand is useless is you don't only play in Blacksand". You miss out Forest of Doom, Firetop mountain, Forest of Spiders, Icefinger mountains, Kaypong, City of Fang, Plains of Bronze, Trolltooth path.
The argument seems, in my mind, to be an unnecessary one. There Is a warlock of firetop mountain supplement and another supplement for Solomanis coming out. Why not use those instead of Blacksand? I could also say that there are way more FF books that take place in Khul then in Allansia or The Old World. Or that the collection of FF books as a whole far exceeds just blacksand. If you are going to be exact, and detailed, and you stick your story in just Blacksand, then 40% to 80% of AFF2d ed becomes useless. You would get rid of 95% of Titan, 98% of out of the pit(If you keep monsters in their proper geographical locations) You can get rid of the Sorcery spell book. I'm sure you can get rid of Heroes companion guide. Atleast 90% of that book won't be useful. Toss crown of Kings out the Window.

I'm trying to find the right words about why your argument does not make sense to me. It's like your trying to put together a utilitarian argument about a game. I don't even understand why you have the first 2 questions.

Really, if you want to play in just Blacksand, then go for it. I don't see why a utilitarian argument is needed for that when all the materials have been given to us as whole to allow us to use the whole setting and not just one spot.
It really doesn't matter what setting we use. It's up to you and if your players are interested in playing in that setting.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Re: Allansia, Khul, or The Old World? Other?

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:26 am

GreatArc wrote: 1.) What continent do you live on? Which continent in Titan do you feel mirrors your own?

2.) Do just tend to assume you are on one unless there's a reason to begin a game on another?

3.) Why would anyone ever not run their game on Allansia? [...]

4.) How many of you just don't use the world of Titan? I am tempted not to and just open up a new game and import Blacksand!
1) I don't see Titan continents mirroring that much real Earth continents... however, being originally Italian, although I moved to other countries during my life, I have the overall feeling that Shazâar is the closes scenario to a kind of mad middel age fantasy Italian city.

2) Few years ago I played most games in Northern Allansia, and later on I preferred Southern Allansia (if you have seen my amateur gazzetteer of Rimon, it comes from my need to flash out more of this part of Titan... and I have more). During last five years or so I enjoyed experiemnting more, so I moved to other continents... and to alltogether different scenarios too! That's where my Barsoom gazzetteer come from (and I have more being wrapped up as well...): playing a (short) campaign with the AFF ruleset (with plety of house rules) on a completely different world coming from a completely different literary fiction was actually a very satisfying experience!

3) see answer 2

4} see answer 3 ;)
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.