Just found a playthrough of "Tower of the Sorcerer":

http://schoolofmovies.podbean.com/e/gon ... 8/#respond

I havn't listened to it yet, but will try to in the next day or so

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Re: AFF Playthrough

Post by Slloyd14 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:46 pm

Nice!

I've pointed them in the direction of 2nd edition stuff.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:05 pm

I think it would be nice re-editing the Dungoeneer-Blacksand-Allansia adventure cycle for AFF2, perhaps improving some aspect that nowadays would sound a bit past due date... :idea:
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

GreatArc

Post by GreatArc » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:36 am

Thanks for posting!

I think the Director did great, and it sounded like a terrific group to game with. They all seemed to have good instincts for when to take over, when to yield to the other players, we're definitely having fun but also had excellent sense of self-regulation to get bogged down in jokes and table talk.

I share the sentiment that I wished the Dungeoneer/Blacksand adventure cycle had been included, it was the only reason I rebought all the 1E books earlier this year. However, I would guess that one, some, or all of these would be the reasons for their omission:

1.) Graham hated the adventures.

2.) The included adventure in 2E was a personal early favourite of his from his youth and wanted to include it for nostalgic reasons.

3.) The adventures took up too much room and honestly, the bigger the paperback gets, the more it falls apart.. (the only complaint I've heard about the new edition, which is saying something!)

4.) A conscious choice to include a very crude and ridiculous dungeon (complete with tavern/cafeteria!) because it would more closely resemble the dungeons in both art and conception that young people learning the game would generate, and would not prove as scary for a new Director to run, since it tasks the person with far less dialogue and role play at the beginning, and it reads like one big flowchart rather than the linear railroad that was The Tower of the Sorcerer.

All in all, I feel that even if this last point was accurate, I would've much preferred a well drawn and highly crafted example to aspire to creating, rather than sort of lowering the bar to make it less daunting to match or run. Plus, the new edition kids will lose Xortan Throg, an enemy way better than Bargle or other equivalent nemesiseseses (nemeses?) .... Uh, dudes to f@(& with the players.

Curious if gbott had addressed this before?

Anyhow, an amazing example of tight, immersive play with an adventure which allows for little deviation from the plot. Would love to listen to the sequel adventure if they ever run it.

BluesPixie

Post by BluesPixie » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:33 am

Looking forward to giving this a listen, good quality and genuinely listenable/watchable RPG playthroughs are few and far between IMHO... excepting CR and The Adventure Zone.

I have to add mine to the chorus of voices desperate for the Dungeoneer+ campaign reissued!

BP

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:46 am

GreatArc wrote:I would guess that one, some, or all of these would be the reasons for their omission
1, 2 & 4 are possible :)

Number 3 would have been part of it but I seem to remember there was a plan to keep the adventures from the AFF1 books in hand so they could be put together as a book of their own at some point. No idea where I got that from though.
Last edited by SkinnyOrc on Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:23 pm

I'd never actually read the version of The Well in the AFF2 book and only just now twigged that it's different from the one that was in the old Fighting Fantasy - The Introductory Roleplaying Game book, it just uses the same map. Both versions are pretty typical room-corridor "dungeons" in that they make no sense as a whole. But they do at least get the players making decisions.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:45 pm

There is, actually, another (amateur, fan-fiction, alternative) version of the adventure, where things make (more or less) sense: http://fightingfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/I ... i_Desideri
But it is written in Italian.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:57 pm

The main reason i didn't include the original cycle is because it actually needs quite a bit of work to convert and update, and it has its own issues as well. I also wanted an intro adventure that anyone could pick up and play with almost no prep. The original adventures are certainly not that.

The plan is still to convert them at some point, but there is only one of me!!

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:13 pm

I converted the sample heroes from Dungeoneer and some NPCs from the adventures a while back:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw3nCQ ... NnNnM/view - the heroes

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw3nCQ ... FDRm8/view - the NPCs
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:49 am

Hullalla wrote:But it is written in Italian.
Any chance of a proper translation of it? I did a Google one when you first pointed it out and it was enough to see it hung together far better than the original, although it's still closer to it than the AFF2 one. Maybe it'd be quicker if I gave you that and you fixed it up based on your reading of the Italian?

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:25 pm

bottg wrote: it actually needs quite a bit of work to convert and update

Absolutely agree!!!
bottg wrote:The plan is still to convert them at some point, but there is only one of me!!
Well, somebody else can convert and update it as well, I think... ;)

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:31 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Hullalla wrote:But it is written in Italian.
Any chance of a proper translation of it? I did a Google one when you first pointed it out and it was enough to see it hung together far better than the original, although it's still closer to it than the AFF2 one. Maybe it'd be quicker if I gave you that and you fixed it up based on your reading of the Italian?
Actually, the original author can write English as well... why don't you go to his Italian site http://www.caponatameccanica.com or, maybe even better, to his English site https://heroengine.wordpress.com/ and ask him to do it "for the rest of the world"? :mrgreen:

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:47 pm

I got out my dodgy web translation and looked at it again. What he's done is taken the original encounters, which were individually interesting but made absolutely no sense to be together down the bottom of a well, and come up with a reason for them to be there. By doing that he's also ended up with an overall plot with clues to what's really going on and a finale.

The problem with translating it to English is it's 80% the same text as the original and all the same room pictures. It might be better to just translate the new bits and add AFF2 stats. Then it could be used alongside the original book as a nice enhancement to it, unless of course Graham decided to reprint this version!

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:43 am

GreatArc wrote:ridiculous dungeon (complete with tavern/cafeteria!)
You might be interested to know your favourite canteen encounter is (and I haven't checked this) the only one that's from the old FF-TIRG book, but from the second dungeon in that.

I'd guess it was to add a chance for the players to interact with the inhabitants other than at the pointy end of a sword. But yeah it's an odd fit for the rest of it, business must be terrible. Might be fun for a quirky encounter in a mining town though.

My opinion is The Well in AFF2 does what it was intended to, provides an example of play without taking up a lot of page space. But it doesn't let the game shine either.