Combat flowchart?

GreatArc

Combat flowchart?

Post by GreatArc » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:43 am

Has anyone, or could anyone put together a comprehensive combat flowchart for us to use so Directors may go through without missing any steps or considerations? I have always found it hard to figure out what to do when either a player is attempting a spell and an enemy is trying to distract them, two spellcasters trying spells on each other when the first one would interfere with the second one. Sort of a visual order of operations we are used to seeing in other, more complex combat systems.

Whoever does this gets ultimate hero status in my books!

shintokamikaze
Hero

Re: Combat flowchart?

Post by shintokamikaze » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:25 pm

That would be handy

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:56 pm

Here it is:

Priestly Powers
Missile Fire
Magic
Main Combat
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:31 pm

The simultaneous round thing is great (and I think even makes more sense) but takes a bit of getting used to. Order of Events on page 58 says missile weapons, then magic spells or items, followed by hand to hand. Priestly powers aren't mentioned there so either they can be considered spells, or from the description it does sound like they happen instantly making them first like Ruffnut says.

The idea from other games of disrupting a spell by hitting first is out the window but don't forget the casting penalties for being under attack. They're the same for Minor Magic, Wizardry and Sorcery but Wizardry are missing the ones for multiple missile or melee attacks. So I'd use the Minor Magic casting modifiers on page 69 for Wizardry too.
Last edited by SkinnyOrc on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreatArc

Post by GreatArc » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:32 pm

Ruffnut wrote:Here it is:

Priestly Powers
Missile Fire
Magic
Main Combat
I meant more specific, maybe we can all build on it in the thread...

1.) Declare actions/targets.

2.) Priestly Powers:
-
-

3.) Missile Fire:
-Declare range of attack.
-Apply Modifiers (enviro, cover, light, multiple attackers, etc)
-Are two combatants attacking each other with Missile Fire? If yes...
-Is this roll a simple defence roll?

4.) Magic:
-
-

5.) Melee Combat:
-Is one combatant fighting multiple opponents? If so, is this roll a simple defence roll?
-Apply Modifiers (enviro, cover, light, multiple attackers,etc)
-Both combatants roll 2d6 and add to SKILL or SPECIAL WEAPON SKILL.
-Are there any rolls of 1-1 or 6-6? If so,
-1-1 Always misses, roll on Fumble table (page--).
-Did opponent also roll 1-1? If so, read rules on double fumble (page--).
-6-6 Always hits, roll on Mighty Blow table (page--).
-Did opponent also roll 6-6? If so, read rules on double Mighty Blow (page--).
-If a hit occurs, roll 1d6 for damage and apply any modifiers (spell, strength, etc)
-Does armour apply to the attack form? If not, deduct damage from damage table.
-If so, roll 1d6 on Armour table and deduct from damage score.
-Deduct damage score from victim's STAMINA total.
-Declare any effects of the hit (opponent falls down stairs, drops weapon, interrupts spell, etc)

Something like this could be crowdsourced on here with everyone adding in little bits to the flowchart until we have something to go on.

If Graham is reading this, I would definitely love to be able to buy a Director's Screen with this on the inside, as well as common modifiers and reference keys to the book page. It'd be more than worth the price of the Heroes' Companion to me, honestly. Quickly resolving combat rounds and battles simply and without interrupting suspension of disbelief is AFF's greatest strength.

Anyhow, hope experienced Directors and Players can build on this. To me, this is the kind of thing the Forum is perfect for.

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:34 pm

Ah ok
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

Lorian
Knight

Post by Lorian » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:41 pm

Ruffnut wrote:Ah ok
Ah ok
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...