Swimming?

GreatArc

Swimming?

Post by GreatArc » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:43 pm

Are characters who do not have SWIM considered to not be able to swim at all?

shintokamikaze
Hero

Re: Swimming?

Post by shintokamikaze » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:15 am

I think they just get the bonus for having swim :P

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Re: Swimming?

Post by SkinnyOrc » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:45 am

Yep that's it. From what I remember the rulebook says every character can swim and ride (maybe not every NPC). But what I've suggested before is that should be taken as they can swim and ride a bit.

So they can sit on a horse as long as it's calm and well behaved. But if it panics they need to make tests with a penalty to stay on because they don't have the skill and even if they make it they have no say in where it goes. The character with the skill has an easier test and can do more with a good pass, they manage to control it too. Also if the mount has an attitude problem the PC without the skill might have tests every now and again randomly, which someone with it could just be assumed to handle.

Same with swimming, without the skill they can tread water for a minute as long as the water's calm and they're not weighed down (but probably with a lot of comical splashing). But for longer, or in armour, or rough water, or if they want to travel more than a couple of meters, they're testing. Someone with the skill can do more without testing and more with a pass when they do.