More combat rules

Slloyd14
Site Admin

More combat rules

Post by Slloyd14 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:15 pm

Sundering

You can attempt to sunder a weapon, shield or armour in combat rather than attack the creature wielding them or wearing them. If you do so, make a normal attack roll. If you are attempting to sunder a small weapon, such as a dagger, there is a -2 penalty. If you succeed, make a skill + strength roll. If you fail, nothing happens. If you succeed, you do damage to the item. Roll damage as normal and roll the armour for the item.

Item Armour Stamina
Dagger or quarterstaff Light 2
One handed weapon Medium 4
Two handed weapon Heavy 6
Leather cuirass As armour 3
Leather hauberk As armour 4
Chain cuirass As armour 4
Chain Hauberk As armour 5
Breastplate As armour 6
Plate armour As armour 7
Small shield As armour 4
Large shield As armour 6
Monster light As armour 4
Monster medium As armour 5
Monster heavy As armour 6

Inferior materials such as bronze or silver use the inferior armour table and have 1 fewer stamina point (see my collection of stuff).
Superior materials such as superior steel use the superior armour table and have 1 extra stamina point (see my collection of stuff).
Enchanted items get a +1 bonus to armour rolls and have 2 extra stamina points.
When an item has 0 stamina, it has been completely destroyed.
When an item has less than its full stamina, but not 0, it is damaged. Damaged items have the following penalties:
Damaged weapons have a -1 penalty to damage rolls.
Damaged armour has a -1 penalty to armour rolls.
Damaged tools have a -1 penalty to skill rolls.
Damaged items that aren’t weapons, armour or tools can only be sold at 75% of their value.

It is possible to repair items that have been damaged. They require the correct tools and materials that cost 5gp per stamina point and can be repaired at a rate of the number of points the repairer has in the Craft skill (for all items) or the relevant weapon skill (for weapons) or the Armour skill (for armour). If the repairer has more than one of these skills, the highest applies.

Tripping

When you make a trip attack, if you succeed, instead you then make another opposed check. This time, you use skill + strength against your opponent’s skill + strength or dodge (whichever is higher). If your opponent is larger than you, then there is a -2 penalty. If they have more than two feet, there is a -2 penalty. Hafted weapons, such as quarterstaves, polearms or spears can give a +2 bonus. If you succeed, your opponent has been tripped and is now on the floor. They either fight with a -2 penalty or they can get up which takes a round and means that you get a free hit on them.

Reach weapons

This is a variant of brawling. Instead of having a -4 penalty if you are unarmed or carrying a dagger against someone with any other weapon, the penalty is broken down. Weapons are in 3 categories – short, medium and long. If you face someone who has a weapon 1 category longer than yours, you get a -2 penalty. If it is 2 categories, it is a -4 penalty. A disciplined fighting force can advance with their spears out, so they can fight opponents without them getting nearer.

Weapon length Weapons
Short weapons Dagger, fist, claw/bite
Medium weapons Swords, axes, maces, clubs, quarterstaves.
Long weapons Spears, polearms, lances
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Ruffnut
Hero

Re: More combat rules

Post by Ruffnut » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:34 pm

I also had the reach idea :p :(
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:11 pm

Always good to have some more combat options to use!

Sundering works for me for weapons and shields but I'm not sure about armour. They're in the armour so isn't that kind of the same as hitting them? Putting that one aside, how about a bonus for sundering weapons on long poles (spears, polearms and lances)? You'd expect that to be easier, and if you've got the skill to do it might be a good way to take away an opponents reach advantage.

Tripping is even better, very cinematic! The only thing I'm wondering is should it be based on strength? I've done a little Aikido and tripping someone has more to do with taking away their balance, so a skill thing rather than strength. Also with the size penalty it isn't really much harder for a small person to trip a large person. In a fight you're both moving your own weight so if you redirect the larger persons movement their own strength tips them over. But a size penalty might make sense against a non-human where there was a really big difference. Strength should count for the existing Push Back combat option though.

Weapon reach we've talked about here before but that's a nice summary. I like reach because it encourages players to use the longer weapons more.

These got me thinking, I don't think we've talked about a disarming rule have we? That'd make a good combat option.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:07 am

I like the reach weapons idea, it also means that lowly goblins or similar enemies can be a threat by sticking together and using spears, multiple of them can gang up on a single hero and the penalties will make them a threat again (-2 for reach, -1 for each goblin after the first).

I dislike the idea of sundering armour, but a shield should be fair game certainly.

in terms of the trip action: I don't think most heroes are martial arts users, on that basis most will be using strength to overpower their opponent.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:36 pm

Eddie wrote:in terms of the trip action: I don't think most heroes are martial arts users, on that basis most will be using strength to overpower their opponent.
I was thinking of a trip using your leg not with a weapon, but I guess from the bonus for long hafted weapons Stuart meant the other. Here's how I saw a trip working.

Two swordsmen are squaring off. The bigger of them presses forward aggressively, swinging his sword. His opponent appears to stand his ground but at the last moment deftly pivots aside. But not completely, he leaves one foot planted in the way and catches the large warriors foot as he comes through. The large warriors own momentum carries him forward but he's lost his balance now and sprawls forward face first into the ground!

A foot trip uses timing, coordination and balance. A shoulder charge or shove knocks someone over with strength but those sound like the existing Push Back option. That's why I was saying Push Back should be based on Strength.

Looking at it again with a weapon I'm not sure how that works. Thrusting a weapon at the legs seems like it could trip someone who was moving. That'd work better with long weapons but maybe's not a strength thing either. Swinging at the legs maybe could whack them out from under someone and that's obviously strength but it sounds difficult to do and I'm not sure you can call it a trip.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:58 pm

I think with a weapon you'd need a haft of some sort: pole arm, spear, staff etc.

I've seen it done at larp events and re-enactments, but it is harder to describe in text format. essentially you go for the strike and as they move to avoid, using footwork, you stick the haft between their legs and they trip.
it is quite difficult to do though: timing is everything, also if they know what you're doing they'll be able to avoid it/not step back but counter attack instead.

can't see it being done using a weapon like a dagger or two handed sword, but as you say push back seems more relevant if you're essentially just shoulder charging someone