Poppy Witch's tales of her village

For discussion of Tales of the Village
Bifford
Site Admin

Poppy Witch's tales of her village

Post by Bifford » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:49 pm

(First posted to RPGGeek at https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/210578 ... tem4714912 )

(28/06/16)

Poppy is still rather young for RPGs. She is 4.5 years old. But I want to get her started and so a while back I ought Tales of the Village and the cards for it from my friend Graham Bottley at Arion Games.

For a while now Poppy has looked at the cards that you can get for the game and has known some of the things she wanted to play as for her witch.

Today we had a quick character design session which mostly followed the books generation but with one substitution as she doesn't like the "Summoning" and "Curse" cards, so when Summoning came up I switched it out for her favourite which is "Soothe Spirit".

Here is the witch we ended up with:

Poppy the Witch.

* Poppy wanted to become a witch at a very early age and so pestered the local witch until she agreed to teach her.
* Her father was a Woodsman and so Poppy gained "Forest Lore".
* Her teacher had lots of books to learn from.
* Her village was trapped by a massive snowfall, her mentor didn't survive due to her age, but Poppy helped the whole village tend for itself and survive the terrible winter.
* Poppy took over the old witches hut, in a glade just inside the forest on the village outskirts and is now the village witch.

She has:
Forest Lore;
Soothe Spirit;
Enchantment;
Witchlight;
a Spellbook (with many witches knowledge and spells in).

She was happy with what we achieved.
Last edited by Bifford on Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bifford
Site Admin

Re: Poppy Witch's tales of her village

Post by Bifford » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:51 pm

(First posted on RPGGeek at https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/214139 ... tem4890349 )

(18/09/16)

Poppy today asked me if we could play "the box story game" - meaning Tales of the Village. I have put the cards for her witch into a small clear box along with the dice needed for her and me as GM (6x6D6, 3 each) and this sits on my desk. I have deliberately not pushed her into wanting to play, but have patiently waited for her to suggest it. Today she did.

A recap of who she is:

Poppy the Witch.

* Poppy wanted to become a witch at a very early age and so pestered the local witch until she agreed to teach her.
* Her father was a Woodsman and so Poppy gained "Forest Lore".
* Her teacher had lots of books to learn from.
* Her village was trapped by a massive snowfall, her mentor didn't survive due to her age, but Poppy helped the whole village tend for itself and survive the terrible winter.
* Poppy took over the old witches hut, in a glade just inside the forest on the village outskirts and is now the village witch.

She has:
Forest Lore;
Soothe Spirit;
Enchantment;
Witchlight;
a Spellbook (with many witches knowledge and spells in).

The Tail of Woofer

Poppy Witch was doing her daily chores at her cottage when one of the local girls, Willow, comes running up to her. Her dog, Woofer, is missing. Would Poppy Witch help her?

Poppy Witch said yes, of course. I asked if Poppy wanted to go with Willow to her cottage - the last place she had seen Woofer. She said she did.

When she got to the cottage I said that by looking at the ground Poppy WItch could see two sets of prints (which I drew on my notepaper) : A horseshoe print and a paw print. I asked poppy what she wanted to do? She said that she wanted to walk around the village to try to find Woofer. I asked once if she was sure she didn't want to follow any of the tracks and she said she didn't.

So Poppy Witch walked in to the village a bit. She sees two men talking, the local baker and butcher. Does she want to talk to them? She says no, and heads back to Willow's cottage. Again, I ask if she wants to follow either of the tracks. She says she wants to follow the horseshoe tracks.

The tracks lead her to the other side of town and to the village inn where people like to eat and drink, and to the stables where the tracks lead to a horse and its owner, brushing the horses's coat down smooth. The man says hello to Poppy Witch and asks if he can help her at all. Poppy Witch asks if he's seen a dog running loose at all? He's gone missing from the other end of the village. The man says that he had seen a dog, running off in to the forest!

Poppy Witch goes back again to Willow's cottage and this time follows the paw prints. In to the forest she goes, following the tracks. She comes to a stream and the tracks stop and it is obvious that Woofer stopped for a drink. She can see tracks leading away on the other side. The stream is too wide for her to jump over so I ask Poppy if she wants to walk across, getting her shoes and feet soaking wet, or if she would like to look around for another way to cross. Poppy Witch looks up and down the stream and sees a tree trunk that has fallen across the stream, making a helpful bridge.

Poppy Witch uses the bridge and then follows the tracks again. They lead to an old, abandoned and ramshackle hut in the middle of the forest, and straight in through the front door. Poppy decides to follow them inside. It is really really dark inside, what does she do? Poppy says she looks around. I say that she can't as it is too dark. I then point to her cards and ask if there's anything there she could use to help her, and she points to the WitchLight card.

I get Poppy to roll her 3d6 and she gets a 5,6,3. That's two successes in this case because she is trained in her spell (Untrained means 5/6s are successes; Trained means 4/5/6 are successes). A ball of light appears between her hands and shows her the hut, and Woofer trapped in the corner with his paw stuck in a broken floorboard. He looks very scared.

I ask Poppy if she wants to go over to Woofer. She shakes her head and points to her little sister, Lottie, who is sitting on my lap. I ask if she wants to go get help from Lottie who is in the village? She says yes. So she goes to get Lottie then returns. The two of them approach Woofer, who is still very scared (I assume the WitchLight spell works for her and don't even mention it this time) so I ask Poppy if there is anything Poppy Witch can do to calm Woofer down so they can help him. She points to, and says about the Calm Animal spell. I nod and ask her to roll. 1,3,6. One success. Good enough! The spell works and Woofer calms enough that Lottie can hold him still while Poppy Witch frees his paw.

They head back to the village and find Willow, who thanks Poppy Witch (and Lottie) and gifts her a nice new brightly coloured top as a thank you present.

Poppy was very happy with the outcome and enjoyed the session a lot I feel. She surprised me a number of times by not going for the "obvious" (to me as an adult) option, which meant throwing some extra bits in to the plot. But that's what being a GM is all about, isn't it? Enjoying telling a story, and working off the player(s) wishes more than your own.