AFF Fanzine (AFFFZ?)

For discussion of the AFF Fanzine
bottg
Site Admin

Re: AFF Fanzine (AFFFZ?)

Post by bottg » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:18 am

Oh, and I will ask Dan (who writes for the Starship and Weapons catalogues) if he is interested in doing the "Deeper monster or setting lore, written as if by an in-world writer;"

He is very good at that sort of thing.

Sukumvit

Post by Sukumvit » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:12 am

So...does that mean that only Dan will be doing the monster lore, or can I still submit some pieces?
Last edited by Sukumvit on Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:25 am

Previous Fighting Fantasy magazines were:
Warlock (13 Issues)
Fighting Fantazine (Ran till #16 Aug 2017)

Magazine solo adventure book: Proteus

I do think a one or two word title would work best.

Also, for numbering we have to make sure that that the first nine magazines are numbered 01-09 and not 1-9, otherwise it mucks directory listings up and also looks hideous.

And the magazine should cover Stellar Adventures and also any other AFF offshoots as well.

EDIT: Looking into new magazines I've discovered Bayt-al-Azif for Call of Cthulhu. It's lorded for it's great content and look/design. Even just looking at the "full size sample preview" gives a good idea for what we should strive for I think. I'll buy this when I get paid. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/24 ... ying-games

Edit2: I've put a call out on the RPG Writers Workshop Discord server so we may get a few noobs offering to write etc. Which would be great!

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:21 pm

bottg wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:16 am
If Bifford and one other could take on the role of Editor and then we get volunteers to manage each section, that would be good.
Like I said, I don't know anything about being an editor, but I'm happy to help Bifford with the proof-reading and such, if that lightens the load a bit.
Bifford wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:25 am
And the magazine should cover Stellar Adventures and also any other AFF offshoots as well.
100% yes! I would really like us to show off just how much you can do with the AFF system, and even on its own, SA is a great example of that. Also, does this mean there are more offshoots in the works? :mrgreen:
Bifford wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:25 am
Previous Fighting Fantasy magazines were:
Warlock (13 Issues)
Fighting Fantazine (Ran till #16 Aug 2017)

Magazine solo adventure book: Proteus
You forgot The Salamonis Gazette, which ran for all of... 1 issue. :shock: Hopefully we can at least do better than that. :roll:

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:38 pm

I have created a Google Drive folder here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lQ-KT ... cGBgiR81Ld

At the moment this is open access, but once we get organised I will delete that and create a new one shared only with the contributors

A sample cover is in there, as is the internal file which at the moment is only the contents page.
The cover will be a duplex cover (printed on the inside) with the interior showing adverts for the gamebooks, digital versions etc

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:04 pm

By crikey you put that together far too quickly for my liking! LMAO :D

The Warlock Returns seems a solid title, but throwing out some other ideas:

Tome of Titan
Mandrake's Bane
Blacksand Gazette
Chaos Keep
Heroes Companion
The Homonculus (which would give us a great impish character on a book to use as a logo (p36 of Demons of Doom)
Titanic Pit

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:06 pm

Yeah, the title, sections, etc are all there just as placeholders and can easily be changed.

I will continue to do bits today, but keep the comments coming!

Lorian
Knight

Post by Lorian » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:08 pm

That sounds really cool!
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...

Ruffnut V2

Post by Ruffnut V2 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:13 pm

bottg wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:06 pm
Yeah, the title, sections, etc are all there just as placeholders and can easily be changed.

I will continue to do bits today, but keep the comments coming!
Sounds epic!
I forgot the password to my old account and the "Recover Password" feature seems to be broken.

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:05 pm

As a side-note, for ease-of-use by all users Graham, I highly recommend we build LAYERS into the pdf from day #0.

Put the background onto it's own layer.
Put Images onto their own layer.
Put text onto its own layer.

If people want to print out the PDF they can then do so without killing the printer in a number of fashions (ie with or without images/background). It will also make it accessible to people using a PDF-reader.

This is something that is very easy to do out of the box, but much harder to build in later.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:17 pm

I like the proposed layout, this is going quick which is encouraging!

It looks like we have a deputy editor, I vote for Dawndeath. Don’t worry about the lack of experience, you have the enthusiasm which is what really makes a Fanzine a success.

For the content I would recommend building up a backlog of articles and article proposals. These proposals should be a heading plus a couple of paragraphs/an outline which can be built on. It will help during the inevitable moments where we have a lull in inspiration which is the Bain of any project like this. Obviously every section should be open to submissions from anyone, it’s then up to the editors to pick for the final content of any given issue.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:18 pm

I will do that. Layers are simple to do. I was going to go for a no-background B&W interior. This makes it much cheaper to print at home or POD and clearer to read. But art in one and text in another is easy.

I have put a 30 page pdf there now with headers, some sample images and Lorem Ipsum in the text boxes. For here it is easy to insert art and text. Even just this is beginning to take shape, but if we can get any actual text together, that will be even better.

For my part I will ask Dan to write an in character bit on the Gark and I will write a bit about recent and upcoming releases.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:20 pm

When I say open to anyone for submissions I would recommend restricting this forum at some point to those working on the Fanzine (central team plus contributors). People who then want to contribute/get involved then just need to request access to the central team with their proposals.

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:25 pm

Wow Graham, those mock-ups look great!

I also like The Warlock Returns as a title. A nice hint of continuation...

Of Bifford's suggestions, The Blacksand Gazette would also get my vote. I quite like The Homonculus; but really, you didn't want to go with The Muck Demon (p. 37 DoD)? :P

Thanks for the vote of confidence, HedgeWizard. :)

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:29 pm

@Hedgewizard - agreed, but once we've got it going as you say.

What do people think about themes for each edition? I think it would help solidify the content into gelling rather than just a rambling ramshackle throw-together of stuff.

I propose issue #01 should deal with "Accessibility and Inclusivity" - That is, making AFF accessible to all and how to invite new people into the fold and getting them started. Easy to run and play scenarios, explanations on how to read things like monster stats, explanation of the core mechanics (and what can be left out to make things easier while learning which can be added back in later) and other such things.

I'm open to other ideas, but I thought this would be a good starting point.