Maelstrom Domesday Kickstarter

Everything to do with the classic RPG

Moderators: bottg, PaulB

bottg
Site Admin

Maelstrom Domesday Kickstarter

Postby bottg » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:17 pm

I have decided to launch Maelstrom Domesday as a Kickstarter to try and push the art budget up and help defray some of the costs up front:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2036759092/maelstrom-domesday-rpg

Most of the rules are already written out, the setting is sketched out and the artwork has started to be produced, so we are well on the way to an August release if it gets funded!

Back us, share it and lets see if i can add some stretch goals!
Slloyd14
Site Admin

Re: Maelstrom Domesday Kickstarter

Postby Slloyd14 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:20 am

2 days in and over almost £600 funded - nice. Have backed for a softcover version :)
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.
bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:51 am

Cheers! It is looking good, and i am very excited about the book itself. I have spent several happy evenings online with the playtesters creating characters using the lifepath system, and i will post one resulting story
bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:53 am

Eustace of Caen was born in 1052 to a family of fur traders operating across the english channel. After the conquest in 1066, Eustace followed his father to explore the new trade opportunities in England. Although well educated and with a smooth tongue, Eustace’s tendancy to stretch the truth at times lead to him entering an ill-advised wager and losing all of his yearly profits in 1067. Given another chance by his father, Eustace continued to trade along the south coast for a few more years.

However, the small ship Eustace was using to trade was siezed by the King for the invasion of Maine in 1073, and used to transport cavalry for the entire summer. The rewards for this military service and the death of the ship’s captain saw Eustace take control of his ship personally and transport both soldiers and mercenaries across the channel, despite the disapproval of his father. During the invasion of Brittany in 1076, the ship foundered during a great storm, and Eustace was the only survivor, washing up near dover 3 days later.

Forsaking a life afloat but still tied to the sea, a now penniless Eustace became an apprentice shipwright at the port. Being moderately successful at this career, Eustace later became a journeyman shipwright for the same master, making ships for Robert de Beaumont, Earl of Leicester. In 1084, Eustace was with a party of Earl Roberts men, became hopelessly drunk and ended up being fined and placed in the stocks for 2 days. Eustaces master refused to re-employ him, but the steward of the Earl, out of pity, offered him a lowly job as a manorial servant.

With his seafaring skills, Eustace became very useful at the rural manor where he worked, often rowing goods or people between manors along the quiet rivers. It was on one of these occasions in 1086, carrying goods, that the river itself started to flow backwards, taking the boat with it! Although this phenomena only lasted less than 10 minutes, Eustace achieved local notoriety and again his employment became untenable. Luckily, Earl Robert was looking for experienced men to act as special investigators into weird and unusual events...
bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:45 pm

I have now been sent a sample book by the printers producing the Blacksand leather covers. They have sent me a cloth covered one with the silver title blocking that will be used on Blacksand. They also sent through a sample of the black "leather" that will be applied to the actual book.

The same printer will be used for the Maelstrom Domesday leatherbounds that are part of the kickstarter:

bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:53 pm

And a first test of the layout (save it to see both pages):

bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:45 pm

First stretch goal hit! Steve Luxton can now start producing more of his stunning maps, and i can start adding the next stretch goal.
Mr Nibbs
Knight

Postby Mr Nibbs » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:24 pm

parkusuk wrote:First stretch goal hit! Steve Luxton can now start producing more of his stunning maps, and i can start adding the next stretch goal.

I've just finished the bulk of the research and feel a bit stunned already. The condition of the main buildings, gates, bridges, mounds, ditches and dates of construction are fairly well documented, so these maps will be fairly accurate to 1086AD.
spaceLem

Postby spaceLem » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:50 pm

Hey Graham, I've just sent you a PM re: Maelstrom, but it seems stuck in my sent folder. Let me know if you got it.
I love tea!
Mr Nibbs
Knight

Postby Mr Nibbs » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:52 pm

Graham's sketch for the area map arrived today. I'll post some sketches here next week.

Return to “Maelstrom”