Maelstrom Domesday Thoughts

Everything to do with the classic RPG

Moderators: bottg, PaulB

bottg
Site Admin

Maelstrom Domesday Thoughts

Postby bottg » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:19 pm

So Maelstrom Domesday has been out for about a month or so. There is a very nice PbF game going on over at RPGGeek and i have been hearing about other groups beginning to play it, but what are the thoughts of others? How do people find the random character creation system? What about the rules? Setting?
Pożeracz zwłok

Re: Maelstrom Domesday Thoughts

Postby Pożeracz zwłok » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:14 am

I'm seriously impressed. I've bought M Domesday SC on DriveThru and after short (for the moment) browsing find it very good! It's not my tale (I mean - it's medieval England, not Poland) but MD is very close to my lovely BRP, LEGEND or OpenQuest. Detailed description of english realities it's also MD's forte. I shall run it when my book arrives.
Good work, engine is better than in AFF.
Death to one of dying mercenaries:
"I'm going to cast two 6-sided dice. If the score be higher than 12 you're safe"
bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:58 am

I am glad you like it! It is a deceptively simple and fast system to run or to play, but it offers really deep characterisation.

I should be able to put a free adventure out very soon, with at least 2 more books following this year.
Pożeracz zwłok

Postby Pożeracz zwłok » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:11 am

Good news, especially about adventures. Adventure it's a golden gate to the setting. I'm waiting impatiently :)
"I'm going to cast two 6-sided dice. If the score be higher than 12 you're safe"
Mr Nibbs
Knight

Postby Mr Nibbs » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:46 pm

Pożeracz zwłok wrote:Good news, especially about adventures. Adventure it's a golden gate to the setting. I'm waiting impatiently :)

I keep thinking of the Brother Cadfael TV series :)
bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:44 am

Mr Nibbs wrote:
Pożeracz zwłok wrote:Good news, especially about adventures. Adventure it's a golden gate to the setting. I'm waiting impatiently :)

I keep thinking of the Brother Cadfael TV series :)

The books were a big inspiration on me it is true!
Pożeracz zwłok

Postby Pożeracz zwłok » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:00 am

So i need to view it! :) Thx for suggestion and inspiration.
Bifford

Postby Bifford » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:01 pm

parkusuk wrote:I should be able to put a free adventure out very soon, with at least 2 more books following this year.

And don't forget to send them first to your resident proof reader :D

(btw - did you know the Mr Nibbs sub-forum is inaccessible?)
Mr Nibbs
Knight

Postby Mr Nibbs » Thu May 01, 2014 1:59 pm

Bifford wrote:(btw - did you know the Mr Nibbs sub-forum is inaccessible?)

I am having problems there too, but I am a complete beginner at moderating.
bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Thu May 01, 2014 2:02 pm

Mr Nibbs wrote:
Bifford wrote:(btw - did you know the Mr Nibbs sub-forum is inaccessible?)

I am having problems there too, but I am a complete beginner at moderating.

I have tried changing the permissions. Is that any better?
Mr Nibbs
Knight

Postby Mr Nibbs » Thu May 01, 2014 2:14 pm

Thanks Graham, that seems fine now.
Pożeracz zwłok

Postby Pożeracz zwłok » Wed May 07, 2014 7:40 am

I've got my MD book since yesterday :) At the evening i'm starting to read it. Looks nicely!
Pożeracz zwłok

Postby Pożeracz zwłok » Thu May 08, 2014 4:22 pm

Shame on me that I didn't buy a hardcover version. Wrrrrr!! I see it'll be a very often used book, so that was great fault.
15 BP saved, but soft covers will suffer soon :)

Don't save a few pounds :)
Pożeracz zwłok

Postby Pożeracz zwłok » Fri May 09, 2014 8:47 am

The Beast of Ledsham. I'll try to run it to my team, but... I don't know how to read it - LEDSHAM.
1. Leds-haem or
2. Led-schaem?
Which is correct?
Bifford

Postby Bifford » Fri May 09, 2014 9:56 am

Pożeracz zwłok wrote:The Beast of Ledsham. I'll try to run it to my team, but... I don't know how to read it - LEDSHAM.
1. Leds-haem or
2. Led-schaem?
Which is correct?

I pronounce it Led-sham (Led-sham), but I'm no expert on Northern English place names! I think that as long as you pronounce it the same throughout it matters not a jot how you pronounce it.

I have run the Beast of Ledsham twice now - once in a forum game and once with my face-to-face group.

As it stands I am disappointed with the scenario. Don't get me wrong - I love the MD game/system/mechanics, but the scenario as written falls flat on several points:

• I realised early on that if you had any Normans in the group you'd really struggle to get anywhere. I made sure the players were all Saxons during chargen;
  • There are a LOT of dead-ends for the players. In PbF this was especially frustrating. Spending so much time getting to each house only to find Nothing out;
  • Having pretty much every person in the village wary of speaking openly to the characters made this tough;
  • I was, and still am, unsure how to treat the different options for rolls in this game. Pretty much everything is said with Bribe/Persuade/Charm/Intimidate....but are ALL of these done using the Persuasion skill? How to make the characters know what they can do if it's not written down as a skill? And the differences in techniques can be at times very subtle;

So while I like the premise of this scenario, I think it needs changing by the GM to be run a lot more openly.

There are certain characters who SHOULD be kept as is - Ligulf has to defer to Ator and big him up; Ator has to appear to be nice and willing; Leofine/Cathryne have to be cagey and distrustful; Drew has to appear dim witted. But other than that I recommend throwing a LOT more information and ideas the players way with the other characters. Get rid of a lot of those dead-ends.

I think having a bit of paper in view with the options that can be used with persuasion could be very useful. If I had trouble with them all I would expect my players did too!

This was my first time Ever running an adventure module (I have always created my own scenario up till now) and I found that due to the amount of NPC characters and locations (each house is effectively a location) I was continually having to read from the book and this really hurt the immersion and continuity aspect of the story. Despite having proof-read the book and therefore knowing the characters etc pretty darn well I had to use the book more than I felt comfortable in order to get all the little details correct.

So all in all, I think The Beast of Ledsham has potential but falls decidedly flat as written. It needs a goodly amount of GM re-writing to give more clues and less dead-ends and I'd also be tempted to say to my players that "you find nothing of consequence" when going to see some of the unimportant characters such as Dudda or Aesc.

I hope this helps you to run The Beast of Ledsham in a good way with your group! It certainly has the potential to be a good story, but needs those changes to be so.

Return to “Maelstrom”