Maelstrom is back!

Everything to do with the classic RPG

Moderators: bottg, PaulB

bottg
Site Admin

Maelstrom is back!

Postby bottg » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:00 am

The Maelstrom RPG is back! Last published by Puffin Books in 1984, this cult classic is now available under license as a pdf, exclusively from Arion Games at RPGNow. Written by Alexander Scott when still at school, this is a classic no modern gamer can be without. This is no low-quality scan, but a re-created book, complete with every fantastic illustration.

Set in 16th Century England, this fast but powerful system allows you to create, and adventure with, Nobles, Mercenaries, Priests, Tradesmen and Herbalists. The innovative freeform magical system, arguably a precursor to such classics as Ars Magica™, allows Mages to warp reality to their own ends.
Combat is fast and furious, with dozens of weapons and armours, and the wound system means that injuries are a real threat.

Includes full character generation rules, a solo adventure, an extensive (and much copied!) herb guide, a short scenario, advanced rules and much more, as well as dozens of illustrations, all in more than 300 pages.

Available exclusively at RPGNow.com:
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php? ... ers_id=667
bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:01 am

Obviously the above is the standard sales text. It is now gone midnight and it has taken 3 hours to get the book onto RPGNow and i am knackered!
I will post more very soon, but comments, thoughts etc welcome.
PaulB

Postby PaulB » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:21 am

Is that the cover of your own copy on RPGNow?

PaulB
bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:24 am

Yes, it is my own cover. Unfortunately, the original publishers wanted £200 to supply a scan of the original cover. A little too much for my liking. But i have several plans to get a better cover scanned in.....
myrm

Postby myrm » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:33 pm

Just found this.

Excellent news, bought my copy - hmmm, I guess from the date in the blurb for the re-release - 24 years ago I think, played it a lot at school - then after uni ran into someone who had known the author at college when I ran a one-off of the game for some friends and felt the world get that tiny big smaller.

Is the PDF on RPGnow just a straight copy over of the book or have there been any changes? Hmm looking at my copy, actually the PDF may be useful anyway ;)
bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:59 am

The pdf book is actually an OCR of the original, because the license only covers republication. I find pdf versions useful in my games because you can print weapon tables, rules sections etc.

I am working hard on a companion volume, and several other projects are in the pipeline, so there will be plenty of support for this game this year.
Greyharp

Postby Greyharp » Sat May 02, 2009 11:04 am

Just wanted to say a big thank you to all involved in bringing Maelstrom back into print. I have fond memories of this game and felt sad that it didn't get the attention it deserved. I look forward to future Maelstrom releases.

Dave :D
bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Sat May 02, 2009 9:44 pm

We do have several books planned for this year, and the paper miniatures should be out within a week or so. I also have quite a few freebies on the way (maps etc)

Obviously, without the support of the fans, we wouldn't be able to keep doing this!
Angus_A

Postby Angus_A » Thu May 14, 2009 3:14 pm

Great news about Maelstrom. I just discovered you were handling the PDF today when I saw it advertised on RPG/DriveThru.
It's good to hear it'll also be supported with supplementary releases too.
I remember playing the game back in the 80's for a bit and we had great fun with it. I still have my copy on the old bookshelf :)
Well done and I hope it does well for you.
Regards,
--
Angus Abranson
Cubicle 7 Entertainment Ltd
www.cubicle7.co.uk
Publishers of SLA Industries, Victoriana, Starblazer Adventures, QIN:
The Warring States and the Doctor Who Roleplaying Game

Return to “Maelstrom”