Alexander Scott Interview

Everything to do with the classic RPG

Moderators: bottg, PaulB

bottg
Site Admin

Alexander Scott Interview

Postby bottg » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:15 am

In a thread on theRPGSite, it transpired that an inteview with Alexander Scott was published a few years ago in a Norweigan RPG magazine called Imagonem.

The author of the inteview has given permission for it to be hosted here, and you can find it on the Maelstrom pages. Very interesting, especially the part about the boxes of unpublished material.....
PaulB

Postby PaulB » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:23 pm

Nice article and it would indeed be interesting to go through that box in the loft. I ran play-by-mail games twenty years ago with increasingly complex rule sets - and I know of few activities more entertaining and insightful than flicking through the wads of paper and picking out scraps to use in my current roleplaying sessions (I turned an old scenario I found into a published adventure...).

I think Alexander's comments and those of reviewers on the 'Net both pick up on Maelstrom needing some tweaking, but you need to retain the simplicity at the same time. An extended return to combat and wellbeing would seem as good a place to start as any.

PaulB
bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:28 pm

I agree wholeheartedly about the simplicity being key. One of the beauties of the system is the ease of doing anything.

I also agree about the time taken to get up and going again. It is very realistic, but a little too harsh in my opinion.
Of course, the fix needs to stay within the concept, so there will be some new (more powerful) herbs, which although not providing D&D style healing, will speed things up a bit. Also, physicians will be better able to patch people up and get them going.
PaulB

Postby PaulB » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:20 pm

I'm not sure you necessarily need more powerful herbs - Serapias Turbith and All-Heale already fill that role in the game. Perhaps a Herbalist could coax a greater effect from herbs if he rolls one-tenth of the effectiveness (a 01 - 08 on the All-Heale, for example). Additionally, having Doctors who can do a little more than heal the pox...

You could always offer an alternative set of rules that provide faster healing, with the more realistic healing rules as the standard.

PaulB
danielr
Playtester

Postby danielr » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:29 am

Is Alexander Scott aware that Maelstrom has been republished?
bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:24 am

More than aware, he has to approve everything before it is published!

However, he seems more than happy with what is already written and what is planned, which is excellent

Return to “Maelstrom”