Ok, here is the game that I ran NYE. It is slightly linear, but in a single setting game, you need to have a linear movement of plot. That's not to say that you can't sandbox a bit, and the walled town setting gives you a sandbox of very finite limitations that you can, as Referee, control easily.
The characters played were pre-generated and were:
: A tall, gaunt Agent of Crown on his way to Norwich for reasons he was loathe to discuss.
: A plain looking woman claiming to be on a Religious Pilgrimige. She is really an Assassin who has given up her life of crime and is on the run from London, The Brotherhood and her past life.
: A short and burly Mercenary on his way back to the North to fight in the Anglo-Scot war.
: An attractive Huntress trying to sell fox pelts.
Friar Matt Tellor
: A large, jolly Friar set on the roads for the last 6 years since the Dissolution of the Monasteries.
: A Spanish Mercenary who had fled his home country and was now earning a living fighting against the Scots in the North.
: A Barber Surgeon and Mage of the ancient Ordo Calx Extraho that can trace its lineage to the early Roman Empire. He was recently forced to flee Cambridge after his books of magick were discovered by an Inn Keepers wife.
Highlights of the Game were:
* The characters splitting the party just prior to the attack by Herrick and their concern when he hefted the Bardiche.
* Friar Teller trying to get information from Michael in the madhouse and just causing him to get madder and madder.
* Elizabeth trying to hide her background, even though she kept doing things she shouldn't be able to do, such as ably stabbing Herrick in the back to put him down and trying to identify poison.
* The concern showed for Miguel when, after falling victim to Herrick, he was left unconscious in the care of Catherine Holmes who the group has just realised is one of the Coven.
* The group being certain that the Priest was behind it all, and that the crypt under the church was where the Beadle had been taken.
* The priest dying to the Daemon by being lifted bodily from the ground by his neck and then having it snapped like a twig. Edmund then saying "dodge this" and shooting said Daemon in the face with a crit and blowing out the side of its face. It smiling at Edmund after said crit. Edmund's response.