Bronn wrote:If I were to stat these characters I'd reduce their Skill and increase special skills.
I agree. Skill represents an individual's natural ability at the kind of tasks which heroes typically encounter. This doesn't mean mundane everyday tasks like tying shoelaces, it means the things a Director might require a Skill test for, e.g. leaping across a chasm, balancing on a ledge, fixing a wagon.
Thinking about the probabilities implied, a human with Skill 5 has a 40% chance of success at something like this for which they have never trained, which seems reasonable for an average person. A Hero with Skill 7 has almost 60% chance. Skill 9 gives over 80%.
I would say individuals with Skill 2-3 are like young children; Skill 4-5 are typical human adults; Skill 6-7 are very able individuals (e.g. most Heroes); Skill 8-9 are extremely gifted, like Olympic athletes or brilliant scholars; Skill 10-11 are unbelievably awesome, with over 90% prior probability of success before any further mods or bonuses.
I think character skill advancement should primarily be via Special Skills, and increasing initial SKILL beyond 7 or 8 should be very hard - harder than currently in the AFF rules.
Thus I'm inclined to knock Conan down to Skill 10, Aragorn and Elric to Skill 9, and then increase several of their their Special skills by 1 further point. Luck can be 12 or perhaps even higher, representing these individuals' particularly significant role in the fate of the world.
For example, something likeConan
SKILL 10 , STAMINA 18 , LUCK 12 , MAGIC 0
Talents: Strongarm, Combat Reactions
Special Skills: Axes 4, Strength 3, Swords 4, Brawling 4, Climb 2, Ride 2, Mountain Lore 4, Awareness 2, Sneaking 2, Hunting 2, Swim 1, Jump 2, Dodge 2
Social Class 0
Bronn wrote:Adding bespoke talents for iconic NPCs would be fun, too.
You are cursed by a terrible affliction of the blood. For each day you do not receive magical or medicinal treatment you lose 2 Stamina, regardless of how rested or well fed you are. Your condition is not without benefits, though. Weakness of form grants strength of spirit; if you are a Sorceror you may choose a number of spells equal to your Magic characteristic that no longer require components. If you are a wizard you treat your Magic characteristic as 2 points higher for the purpose of casting spells.
(Obviously Stormbringer offsets the negative effects - one soul per day for relief from Stamina loss with up to three days' 'stored')
That's great - I had forgotten about that aspect of Elric's condition.