Dodging and Armour

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Kheldar

Dodging and Armour

Post by Kheldar » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:44 pm

Page 64: You can't use Dodge at all if you're wearing any armour and/or carrying any shield?

bottg
Site Admin

Re: Dodging and Armour

Post by bottg » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:35 am

Not in combat. you can still use the dodge special skill to avoid a falling boulder or thundering cart. The swashbuckler talent (and that table) is intended for duellists, bare chested barbarians etc

Kheldar

Post by Kheldar » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:16 pm

parkusuk wrote:Not in combat. you can still use the dodge special skill to avoid a falling boulder or thundering cart. The swashbuckler talent (and that table) is intended for duellists, bare chested barbarians etc
I think that's a bit odd to be honest, so I asked my friend about it and he said it wasn't in AFF 1ed

Why was it implemented in 2ed?

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:50 pm

In 1st Ed you could only use the dodge special skill out of combat. Equally, in 1st Ed there was no armour rules.

So for 2nd, i added in armour. But that left the problem of the barbarian archetype who despite having a bare chest, never seems to get hit badly.

But equally, you don't want dodge being an uber-skill that every single warrior takes by allowing its use in combat.

Hence the current arrangement. Dodge is not quite as good as armour at avoiding damage, but a lot better than no dodge or armour at all.

Kheldar

Post by Kheldar » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:29 pm

Ok thank you for clarifying