Alternative unopposed tests

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Slloyd14
Site Admin

Alternative unopposed tests

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:47 am

The sourcebook's alternative rules suggest that instead of rolling under skill, you add the die roll to your skill to beat a score. The book suggests a default of 15, but if you want the probabilities to be the same, then it should be 14 (e.g. if your skill is 7, you have to roll a 7 or more which has the same probability as rolling a 7 or less. If you skill is 12, the only way of failing is rolling a 2, which has a same probability as rolling a 12).
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

darksoul
Knight

Re: Alternative unopposed tests

Post by darksoul » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:25 am

Thanks for that correction Slloyd14.
I really like the target number system. Mainly for consistency sake. Since you roll 2 dice and try to roll high for opposed actions then you might as well do the same for unopposed.
I still roll two dice under skill out of habit.

joesmith

Post by joesmith » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:50 pm

This is the way we always played it too (haven't played for a little while now), and we dropped the target number to 14 as well, we like consistency!
We even went the next step and applied this to Luck as well (even Fear which we introduced). You roll your 2d6 + Luck and if it gets to 14 or more, you're lucky!

Fear was something we adopted from the House of Hell (was that the one?) only to make it consistent again, instead of adding Fear points, people had the initial value of 12 and whenever something fearful happened, you lost 1 point, so it works a lot like Luck.

So for us, there is only one dice mechanic (2d6 + whatever) and high for all stats is best.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:49 pm

darksoul wrote:Thanks for that correction Slloyd14.
I really like the target number system. Mainly for consistency sake. Since you roll 2 dice and try to roll high for opposed actions then you might as well do the same for unopposed.
I still roll two dice under skill out of habit.
I think habit is the main reason it's still roll under for unopposed tests, but as high as possible for opposed tests.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:31 pm

The mentioned optional rule for unopposed test is my favourite choice as well.
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.