Anyone up for playing an online one-shot?

GreatArc

Anyone up for playing an online one-shot?

Post by GreatArc » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:39 am

Looking for players who at least know the basic system and want to play in a small group by chat sometime soon. I have a couple of ideas for one-shot introductory adventures and want to know who's up for an invite next time I run a game?

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Re: Anyone up for playing an online one-shot?

Post by Slloyd14 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:43 am

Welcome! I'm willing to do one shots as I don't think I could commit to a massive campaign. Keep me posted.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

GreatArc

Post by GreatArc » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:08 am

You bet! I am thinking 'one-shot' in terms of an adventure, but perhaps over the course of two separate gaming sessions. Small group of maybe myself and 3 players running 1 or 2 characters each, their choice.

Are you interested in running a game or playing? I am up for either. Brand new to 2E and eager to try it. I am 51% in favour of running the game, 49% in favour of being a player, so as close to indifferent as I can get without admitting I slightly enjoy directing.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:58 pm

I would like to be a player, as I have only run games (I ran two one-shot sessions, one at Fighting Fantasy Fest and one at Dragonmeet). I can try those on you afterwards, though!

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:52 pm

Happy to play!
If it's play by chat it depends on the timezone, but in general I prefer it to a play by post, that usually becomes very slow...
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

GreatArc

Post by GreatArc » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:55 pm

Almost certainly going to be a play by chat. Aiming for quick paced, chew up lots of adventure and make sure it's really immersive and all players are involved, not just following a storyline. I am going to put in a lot of prepared text for area / encounter descriptions I can cut and paste in a chat for when they are needed and there will be 3 or 4 adventure "goals", none of which are necessary to completing the adventure. Hoping for two good, fun sessions, maybe 2-3 hours apiece. Might even be the case that if characters die in the first session, new ones could be realistically replaced, or more adventurers could join, depending upon the choices of the first group and where they wind up.

I already have the basic concept done, cannibalized two separate earlier mini-modules to come up with a fun one.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:37 am

GreatArc wrote:Almost certainly going to be a play by chat. Aiming for quick paced, chew up lots of adventure and make sure it's really immersive and all players are involved, not just following a storyline. I am going to put in a lot of prepared text for area / encounter descriptions I can cut and paste in a chat for when they are needed and there will be 3 or 4 adventure "goals", none of which are necessary to completing the adventure. Hoping for two good, fun sessions, maybe 2-3 hours apiece. Might even be the case that if characters die in the first session, new ones could be realistically replaced, or more adventurers could join, depending upon the choices of the first group and where they wind up.

I already have the basic concept done, cannibalized two separate earlier mini-modules to come up with a fun one.
Keep us posted!

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:17 pm

Which timeslots (and timezone) are you thinking about?
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

LordArioch
Adventurer

Post by LordArioch » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:52 pm

Are you going to run it here, elsewhere?

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:21 pm

I could be up for that but timezones will be a challenge. You'll be able to find a time that works for both European and American continent players but adding Australia to the mix might be a step too far...

GreatArc

Post by GreatArc » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:11 pm

LordArioch wrote:Are you going to run it here, elsewhere?
Maybe Dragonsfoot Chatrooms? Roll2o? Whatever.

GreatArc

Post by GreatArc » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:15 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:I could be up for that but timezones will be a challenge. You'll be able to find a time that works for both European and American continent players but adding Australia to the mix might be a step too far...
I am an insomniac so I am awake across most timezones, just go with the time the group decides best, but I could imagine a weekend where we are playing at 9pm and you'd have to be playing morning if you wanted to join or vice versa. What are you guys, like 4 days and 10 hours behind or something like that?

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:38 am

Not quite that much :) We're 10 hours ahead of GMT.

Yeah I like canned descriptions. It doesn't stop you modifying and adding to it on the fly but for me the players get a richer idea of what's going on like that. I remember one time joining a new game starting on chat and the first thing happened was a fight. We were apparently outside an inn but I had no idea what it looked like, what my fellow adventurers looked like, even what race they were! Felt like if i asked I'd be like an actor going "yeah but what's my motivation in this scene?"

Having that sort of thing ready speeds it up too, everything's slower on chat.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:07 pm

I'm jumping the gun and in my excitement, I've created two starting characters already. I've decided not to give them standard adventurer skills and instead made them have skills from a previous profession. This has made them slightly less effective in combat, but hopefully more rounded:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw3nC ... FdEYl9Dc2s - a merchant turned adventurer

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw3nC ... EdLaVplam8 - a miner turned adventurer

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:11 pm

Any update on playing dates/times?