House rule - no Awareness skill

Slloyd14
Site Admin

House rule - no Awareness skill

Postby Slloyd14 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:59 am

In the current game I'm playing and almost every game I've played in the past, perception skills are by far the most used non-combat skills used.

How about this house rule: there is no Awareness skill and the skill for perception is based on what environment you are in or what you are looking for. Finding a trap in a dungeon requires underground lore or trap knowledge. Noticing someone looking uneasy is etiquette. Noticing a chink in some armour could be a craft roll. Spotting a pickpocket is City Lore.

Also, the Hawkeye talent could give a +2 bonus to all perception rolls (+3 seems like too much for a bonus, but +2 sounds ok).

What does anyone think?
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.
Ruffnut
Hero

Re: House rule - no Awareness skill

Postby Ruffnut » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:57 am

I like it! But it also works like weapon master talent, as a lot of the skills are transferable
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
Lorian
Knight

Postby Lorian » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:07 am

I like to add the awareness and relevant lore skill then subtract 3-4 from the total.
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:00 pm

Slloyd14 wrote:there is no Awareness skill and the skill for perception is based on what environment you are in or what you are looking for.
Another variation might be Awareness only applies to avoiding being surprised by an attacker and other skills are used for everything else.
Ruffnut
Hero

Postby Ruffnut » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:31 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Slloyd14 wrote:there is no Awareness skill and the skill for perception is based on what environment you are in or what you are looking for.
Another variation might be Awareness only applies to avoiding being surprised by an attacker and other skills are used for everything else.

I like your idea
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:21 pm

We use Awareness all the time, every time the heroes might notice something we roll and we use it for Initiative skill+awareness+2d6. But that is a good idea if it gave a bonus to your awareness roll.

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”