Out of the pit 3

Robb 1
Knight
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Sheffield UK

Re: Out of the pit 3

Post by Robb 1 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:49 pm

Absolutely love Return to the pit wellworth the wait i shall look forward to gettin a p o d copy. Just out of curiosity has every FF/AFF creature now been catalogued ? 8)

User avatar
Andrew Wright
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:25 am

Re: Out of the pit 3

Post by Andrew Wright » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:13 am

Glad people like it! I had a lot of fun writing it, but there were times when I wasn't sure it would be finished. In the end it took 3 years to write and added up 125K words, of which 20K was the Ultimate Monster Index, so almost double Beyond the Pit.

The damage thing - for both books I just went with the table in the combat section. It's not perfect, but it is consistent.

There's still a fair few monsters out there - probably enough for one more book I think. I've started looking at a shortlist for these already.

I'm really interested in how useful it is for people. I was trying to strike a balance between game crunch and monster lore - sort of like tidying up Fighting Fantasy canon but at the same time providing a useable monster book, not just for monsters but scenario ideas, new races ideas, etc etc. Plus the entries for Animated Objects, Familiars and Swarms let me cram in hundreds of other incidental creature details (if you look at the Scorpion sub-entry in the Swarm entry it's basically a bestiary within a bestiary within a bestiary within a series of bestiaries).

So, yeah, have fun and let me how it goes and maybe keep sharing your finds/bugs/examples of use here. I'd love to hear them all. :-)

User avatar
Dawndeath
Adventurer
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:34 pm

Re: Out of the pit 3

Post by Dawndeath » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:07 am

Andrew Wright wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:13 am
I'm really interested in how useful it is for people...
Hey Andrew, you're certainly doing a bang-up job with the Pit books. Bestiaries are always one of my favourite class of books in any RPG library, but yours are standing out amongst the crowd. I particularly like the balance you're finding between detail and complexity. A lot of bestiaries I've seen for other systems can get bogged down in non-useful information intended to add some extra level of 'realism' to the game. Your books give enough detail for us to properly play these monsters, while maintaining the beautiful simplicity of AFF. I think you've got the balance just about perfect.

As for how useful the book is, for me, its absolutely indispensible. Not only does each volume of the Pit series bring Titan to life more and more, the increased 'feel' for the world that they provide helps immeasurably when it comes to making my own additions to the flora and fauna (as it were). For example, just before RttP came out, I put together my own entry for the Iron Golem, based on what I'd seen of monsters in OotP and BtP. When Pit 3 was released, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my version of the creature was almost identical to the official one, except that I'd assigned a slightly higher STAMINA.

I understand the time and effort commitment involved in producing one of these books, and can only express a fraction of my gratitude to you and Graham for everything you guys are bringing to the AFF community. And just to say, if there is a fourth Pit book on the horizon, I will snap that up like it's made of gold.

Keep up the great work, guys!

Robb 1
Knight
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Sheffield UK

Re: Out of the pit 3

Post by Robb 1 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:07 pm

Hear hear :D

Ruffnut V2
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:12 am

Re: Out of the pit 3

Post by Ruffnut V2 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:29 pm

Dawndeath wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:07 am
Andrew Wright wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:13 am
I'm really interested in how useful it is for people...
Hey Andrew, you're certainly doing a bang-up job with the Pit books. Bestiaries are always one of my favourite class of books in any RPG library, but yours are standing out amongst the crowd. I particularly like the balance you're finding between detail and complexity. A lot of bestiaries I've seen for other systems can get bogged down in non-useful information intended to add some extra level of 'realism' to the game. Your books give enough detail for us to properly play these monsters, while maintaining the beautiful simplicity of AFF. I think you've got the balance just about perfect.

As for how useful the book is, for me, its absolutely indispensible. Not only does each volume of the Pit series bring Titan to life more and more, the increased 'feel' for the world that they provide helps immeasurably when it comes to making my own additions to the flora and fauna (as it were). For example, just before RttP came out, I put together my own entry for the Iron Golem, based on what I'd seen of monsters in OotP and BtP. When Pit 3 was released, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my version of the creature was almost identical to the official one, except that I'd assigned a slightly higher STAMINA.

I understand the time and effort commitment involved in producing one of these books, and can only express a fraction of my gratitude to you and Graham for everything you guys are bringing to the AFF community. And just to say, if there is a fourth Pit book on the horizon, I will snap that up like it's made of gold.

Keep up the great work, guys!
These kinda books are my fav also
I forgot the password to my old account and the "Recover Password" feature seems to be broken.

User avatar
LordArioch
Adventurer
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:43 pm
Location: Having tea with Yaztromo

Re: Out of the pit 3

Post by LordArioch » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:26 pm

Late last night I bought Return to the Pit, Travels in Arion and the Stellar Adventures weapons/equipment book from DriveThruRPG. After having skimmed through them before the sandman caught up with me, they look great. 8) I await for their availability as POD, and then I will snatch up some hardcopies as well. Thanks to the Arion lads/lasses for their hard work! :)

User avatar
LordArioch
Adventurer
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:43 pm
Location: Having tea with Yaztromo

Re: Out of the pit 3

Post by LordArioch » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:20 pm

When will the new books be available on Drivethru in POD?

User avatar
bottg
Site Admin
Posts: 1330
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:53 pm

Re: Out of the pit 3

Post by bottg » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:09 pm

LordArioch wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:20 pm
When will the new books be available on Drivethru in POD?
The Return to the Pit test prints are en route to me now, the Arion book is in pre-press and the files will go to the printers on monday for the Catalogue. Much depends on if they look right, but it coule be this week and next week that they are available to buy!

User avatar
bottg
Site Admin
Posts: 1330
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:53 pm

Re: Out of the pit 3

Post by bottg » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:17 am

RttP POD version is available now!!

Nuvole!
Archmage
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:06 pm

Re: Out of the pit 3

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:14 pm

Great news!
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

User avatar
bottg
Site Admin
Posts: 1330
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:53 pm

Re: Out of the pit 3

Post by bottg » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:39 pm

I have also just ordered the test prints of "Travels in Arion". Should be here within a week and if they are OK i will release those for sale too!

User avatar
LordArioch
Adventurer
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:43 pm
Location: Having tea with Yaztromo

Re: Out of the pit 3

Post by LordArioch » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:38 pm

Wonderful! Thanks for expediting this!

User avatar
LordArioch
Adventurer
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:43 pm
Location: Having tea with Yaztromo

Re: Out of the pit 3

Post by LordArioch » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:12 am

Graham,
I wrote you an email asking if we could cut a deal with a discount for the softcover of the Return to the Pit, since I previously purchased the PDF of the same, but I guess the email was lost in the shuffle. Is this something negotiable?

User avatar
torus
Knight
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Out of the pit 3

Post by torus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:15 pm

Is there a softcover version of the POD planned? (I prefer the drivethru softcovers.)

User avatar
bottg
Site Admin
Posts: 1330
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:53 pm

Re: Out of the pit 3

Post by bottg » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:46 am

torus wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:15 pm
Is there a softcover version of the POD planned? (I prefer the drivethru softcovers.)
It was available, but there was a slight error with the cover. I resubmitted the files nearly four weeks ago, and due to an error with the printers, they only approved them yesterday. I have ordered a test copy, and as soon as that arrives (and is OK) I will make the softcover available again...

Post Reply