Gazettes in the works?

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Gazettes in the works?

Post by HedgeWizard » Fri May 25, 2018 6:21 am

Is there any overview of what Gazettes are currently in the works and when they will be released?

Have an urge to get my creative juices flowing and produce one myself but don't want to duplicate what is already coming.

Lorian
Knight

Re: Gazettes in the works?

Post by Lorian » Fri May 25, 2018 4:22 pm

I'm working on a fan made Maustrian gazteer and Ruffnut is making one for the arrowhead islands.
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Fri May 25, 2018 5:51 pm

Thanks, is there a set format or rules (beyond not contradicting the canon of course)?

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Sat May 26, 2018 1:11 am

Are you talking about official or fan material?
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

gloccus

Post by gloccus » Sat May 26, 2018 2:25 am

Nuvole! wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 1:11 am
Are you talking about official or fan material?
Since the OP was talking about producing one himself (or herself), I'm assuming fan material.

While we're on the subject, would anyone like to read about thirty thousand words on the history of Khul (from a Gazeteer of Khul I've been thinking about writing)?

What's that you say? You'd rather swim in Bloodbeast slime? Well tough, here it is (or the start of it, anyway, as I don't think the forum will let me upload the whole thing in one go).

I've tried to follow these rules:
  • Don't contradict canon (it would be good if the official authors could follow this rule)
  • If canon doesn't give any information, make something up!
If anyone notices any canon contradictions, please let me know.

I've used an in-universe style somewhat similar to Titan—the Fighting Fantasy World, except that I've put in a lot of dates, because I like dates in histories. Please bear in mind that this is only a rough first draft and I would gladly receive constructive criticism of content or writing style. I tend to use quite long sentences and I am aware that my wording could bear improvement. I'm writing from the perspective of 296AC and using quotes to represent box-outs.

The best ideas came from the Titan Rebuilding list and the Encyclopaedia of Khul (although I have deviated from their extrapolations where I think it makes sense); the bad ones are all my own.

History and Legend
We are sure that our readers, being inquisitive and educated fellows, will be familiar with the major events which brought the world to its present condition. But there is much more to be told and here we have tried to assemble some of the more enlightening and obscure tales drawn from the annals of history. In our endeavours, we are particularly indebted to the Great Wizard Amberon and his colleagues from the school of sorcery in Analand, whose use of secret magicks to explore the past has been both tireless and indispensable.
In the Godtime
Unfortunately, our knowledge of the time before Time is still filled with uncertainty and contradiction. It seems that every priest, sage and wise man has a different opinion on the age when gods walked the globe and as the art of writing was not invented until after the First Battle, there are no records of this period. Our sorcerous colleagues from Analand are understandably hesitant to risk attempting to use a spell which manipulates time in order to investigate an era when time itself may not have existed, so we are forced to rely upon our judgement and intuition regarding which legends to relate and which to ignore. The creation myths of eastern Khul are generally similar to those of other lands and there seems little point in repeating a tale which most children will have learned from their parents or Highday-school teacher. We shall begin, therefore, with the legends taught by the priest-mystics of the city of Lagash, who offer perhaps the most detailed description of how Men fared in the Godtime. Many of the details are echoed by other accounts, but no other mythology contains all of them.
When the gods first created the world, the land masses of Titan were joined in a single continent called Irritaria. Although all people lived together at first, they soon divided as their numbers grew. Giants claimed the mountains, Dwarfs, the hills and the Elves withdrew to their beloved One Forest. Men chose the plains as their home and for a time all were blissfully happy as their gods walked among them, rejoicing in the ingenuity and unpredictability of their creations. Of course, there was still contact between the races on the edge of forests, the foothills of mountain ranges and the valleys and dales between hills, but it was rare for individuals to be invited far into the lands claimed by others.
As nobody died from old age and Disease chose not to visit the world openly in those days, population numbers quickly exploded. Food was plentiful and there were few hardships which could not be overcome by the natural magic which the gods taught to their followers. This was perfectly satisfactory for most of the people on Titan, but it eventually became a problem for humans, who multiplied far more quickly than their neighbours. The majority lived on the wide, rolling plains that would later form the central part of the continent of Khul, bounded by the impenetrable One Forest to the north and north-west, the then-impassable Scythera Desert to the west, the uncrossable Shios'ii mountains to the east and the ocean to the south.
The resourceful race of man had already invented rafts, canoes and boats, initially used for fishing and later for exploration, but Hydana's waves, Pangara's winds and Sukh's storms prevented them travelling far across the ocean. The god Solinthar saw this and, knowing that there were many places in the world where humanity could thrive if only they could get there, devised a new kind of vessel, with high sides to keep out the water, a mast and sails to harness the wind and a keel to keep it upright in a storm. He had invented the ship and wasted no time in showing his new creation to the people living on the coast. Solinthar also taught them the art of navigation and it was not long before men had begun to colonize the lands beyond the Shios'ii Mountains. Soon, humans had filled every empty space in the world, from the Dragon Reaches in the north to the future location of the Isle of Tura to the south.
Solinthar and Fulkra
The gods of mariners and travellers are known by the same names virtually everywhere on Titan. This might be because those most likely to call upon them for aid tend to move from place to place, disseminating their traditions to those they visit. Perhaps the most shocking discovery we have made in the course of our researches is that in the south of Khul, Solinthar is considered to be the son of Hydana and Sindla, whom they revere as Castis, whilst his twin, Fulkra is believed to be the daughter of Sindla and Assamarra, the god of deserts and arid places, known to the people of Khul as Scythion. In Allansia, priests teach us that Fulkra is male and that he and Solinthar are the sons of Atlan, the emissary of the gods, whereas in Lagash, Atlan (or Melkarat, as they call him) is regarded as their son! The fact that all these gods continue to bestow their blessings upon all who worship them shows that divine beings really don't care what we mortals think of their relationships, which is perhaps just as well.
When Death, Disease and Decay visited Titan to corrupt the Orcs and Trolls with the power of Chaos, many other creatures living in and around the mountains where Hashak had hidden his creations were similarly afflicted. Some races were changed in their entirety, such as the N'yadach, Life-Stealers, Gremlins and Tuskers, but others were only partially affected. Giants are the most obvious example, as the mountains were their home, and today all but the few remaining Storm Giants have suffered the touch of Chaos to some extent. A few intrepid humans ventured into the mountains and the result may have been the creatures known as Night Stalkers, whilst some misguided scholars even believe that Goblins were created from Woodlings by the same method. Whatever the truth of the matter, chaotic and evil beings multiplied in the hidden and secret parts of the world even as the races of good increased their numbers in the open.
The priests of Allansia, like those in most of the nations of the Old World, describe the First Battle between the forces of Chaos and the followers of the gods of good as if it took place over the course of less than a single day. However, in Khul, the battle is represented as a long, drawn out war of attrition, during which multiple generations were born and grew to adulthood in the shadow of the conflict. Indeed, the dervishes of the Twin Sun Desert maintain that the rise and fall of the Brain-Slayer slave empire all occurred during the First Battle, although this may be due to a mistaken belief that the term First Battle refers to the world's first armed conflict, rather than the first battle between the gods.

Illustration Suggestion: It would clearly be a copyright violation for me to upload any images from the books, but I recommend the map of Irritaria on page 32 of Titan for anyone who wishes to distract themselves from the mind-numbing tedium of my wall of text.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Sat May 26, 2018 10:33 am

Gloccus, I'm happy to read what you've put together but would it not be better to make a PDF and then attach a link using something like dropbox or google drive? It'll be Abby easier for everyone.

gloccus

Post by gloccus » Sat May 26, 2018 11:57 pm

HedgeWizard wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 10:33 am
Gloccus, I'm happy to read what you've put together but would it not be better to make a PDF and then attach a link using something like dropbox or google drive? It'll be Abby easier for everyone.
I've split it into two pdfs and attached them as zip files because the forum doesn't allow pdf uploads and the size limit is too small to attach it as one file. I can understand having a size limit, but forcing standard files like pdfs to be zipped for upload is pointless.

Anyway, if anyone wants to download and read the history offline then they can now do so. Please note that I haven't left placeholders for non-existent illustrations, so the layout won't be right.

In case there is anyone who would like to read a little more online, here's the next section:

Brain-Slayers and the Portals of Evil
In the south of Irritaria, between the Scythera Desert and the Shios'ii Mountains, was a fertile river basin, through which flowed the greatest river the world has ever known, fed by a network of thousands of miles of tributaries. Men lived there in vast numbers, for it was an idyllic location, providing all the resources a community could need. But humans have a natural tendency to explore and after learning the art of mining from the Dwarfs, they were able to exercise this inclination underground as well as on the surface. In the steep sided valleys cut by the great river (whose name has not come down to us, unfortunately), men dug and delved until they found a deep natural fissure stretching far further than anyone—even the Dwarfs—had ventured before. A scouting party was formed, equipped and provisioned, to investigate this new discovery.
These courageous (or foolhardy) individuals lowered themselves on ropes in stages, resting on ledges and in crevices in the rock face. Nobody knows how far they descended, but just as they feared that they would have to turn back or risk running out of supplies, the first of their number reached a flat surface and began to look around. The golden glow of his lantern revealed an impossible edifice, an archway of the blackest stone, carved with writhing pictographs that seemed to claw at the edges of his sanity. He had discovered a Portal of Evil.
The world of Titan and everything on or in it were created by the gods from magical clay found in their garden. According to the beliefs of the people who occupied the region of Irritaria between the One Forest and the mountains we know as the Anvils of the Gods, this clay was the essence of a primal entity (whom the long-dead sages of ancient Celenasia called Vuh or Life), given shape by another primal being (Ashra or Light). But there was a third of these beings who existed before the gods. Elim, or Dark, was unhappy with this act of creation and placed a number of tiny objects deep within the clay, where they would not be found by the gods, remaining concealed until the time was right. The exact number is unknown (different accounts say every number between three and thirteen and one even suggests a hundred), but at least some of them were inside the ball of clay which the god Titan used to create the world and ended up buried deep beneath the surface the planet.
When the scouts returned, they were somehow changed. Their leader seemed more pugnacious, whilst his companions were deferential, even subservient. One thing they all agreed on was that others must see what they had discovered and they insisted on leading more expeditions into the depths. Due to its inaccessibility, only a few people at a time could be exposed to the portal's power, but they brought back large numbers of stone talismans which could enslave anyone who put them on and began to distribute them throughout the nearby settlements. Anyone who would not put on a talisman willingly was forced by the burgeoning slave army and those who were still free often could not bring themselves to fight their former friends, neighbours and lovers.
By dint of the talismans, the insidious evil of the portal spread through the human lands. Until then, there had been no nations and although men had always fought one another, for such is their nature, the idea of a war to defeat and destroy another group of people was entirely alien. The slaves constructed new cities using a strange, aberrant architecture and began excavations to improve the route to and from the portal, in order to make it easier to supply the increasing number of stone talismans required by the relentless conquest of new territories. The gods were oblivious to the danger, as they had been to the existence of the portals themselves, due to the concealing power of Elim.
By this time, the leader of the scouts had undergone disquieting physical changes, drawing power from the portal even as the portal gained strength from its connection to him. He had grown in stature and his skin had turned purple and flaccid whilst his head swelled up and became grossly irregular. Eventually, tentacles would sprout from his face and he would grow to over four metres in height, but these startling alterations did not prevent him from fathering numerous children. Over several generations of interbreeding with slave thralls, his descendants became closer in size to their human ancestors, but retained the other mutations to become the first of the Brain-Slayers, a race whose only purpose is the eradication of all life on Titan.
Just as it seemed the portal was certain to enslave all the people of the southern plains, a devastating earthquake buried it under many miles of rock, dropping the land around by several hundred metres and creating a massive depression four hundred miles long by two hundred wide. A vent to the planet's core was opened, forming a huge volcanic caldera which has not stopped erupting ever since, even when the continents were divided shortly before 1000ot and the ocean finally broke through the lip of the crater to produce the Inland Sea we know today.
There is some doubt over whether the great earthquake was sent by the gods or just a consequence of the ill-guided attempts to widen the access route to the portal. Indeed, the story may be told in either way, depending upon what lesson the preacher is trying to convey, but whatever the cause, the massive seismic disturbance caused innumerable deaths, including most of those enslaved by the portal, although their leader and some members of his new family survived. As a result, the portal was not neutralized (and will never be until every last Brain-Slayer is dead), but there were too few slaves left to conquer the world and the other peoples were now forewarned of the danger. The few remaining in thrall to the portal were soon overpowered and the talismans removed and destroyed, using the divine magic learned from the gods. When the free armies reached the last surviving slave city, they found it already deserted, apart from the huge and ornately carved sarcophagi of the dead. Disturbed by the eerie atmosphere, the army generals ordered the city to be vacated and never again visited by humans. With the benefits of hindsight, we may speculate that the mind control powers of the Brain-Slayers were at work, ensuring that their slumbering leader would remain undisturbed until the time was right for his return, but there were no such suspicions at the time.
The remainder of the Brain-Slayers, realizing that defeat was inevitable, sought the deepest, darkest subterranean caverns and excavations, even lower than those of the Dwarfs, searching for the other surprises Elim left far beneath the surface. Over time, men resettled the edges of the depression, but they never approached within a hundred miles of the Dead City and always remembered not to dig too deeply for fear of what they might find.
Other Portals
Humans were not the first race to encounter a portal. The Forest Goblins of the south-west (near the current location of Lake Mlubz) inadvertently uncovered one during the Godtime, some time before the First Battle. If the legends are to be believed, a brave Goblin hero defeated the Warlord of the Portal and had the evil artefact buried until human gold mining exposed it just a few years ago. Reports state that it has now been destroyed using a magical powder called Igneolite, invented by the alchemist Azudraz. If this is the case, then it gives hope that Elim's dread design may yet be frustrated.
Thankfully, the Brain-Slayers have not yet discovered another portal of evil, but one was found beneath the Plain of Bones in Allansia by the Celenasian Empire, shortly before that great nation's destruction over five hundred years ago. It does not take a great leap of logic to realize that the two things may have been connected, but it does explain why most of our knowledge of the primordial entities Ashra, Vuh and Elim comes from documentary fragments recovered from this region.
Illustration Suggestion: What could be more appropriate than one of Alan Langford's pictures from FF37 Portal of Evil? Perhaps the Warlord of the Portal opposite §395 or the incidental artwork of the portal itself used throughout, but in particular above §399.
Attachments
history_and_legend_1.zip
(217.72 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
history_and_legend_2.zip
(182.75 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Sun May 27, 2018 3:01 am

Officially we know that there are the gazetteers of the Old World and of Salamonis being worked on, while we have the amateur Gazetteers of Rimon and there is quite a lot of work around Ciarensia.
I have also been working on Halak, Kaynlesh-ma + Arantis, Kallamehr and Shazaar, but, while I have gathered a huge pile of material and ideas, I'm still far from completing them.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

gloccus

Post by gloccus » Mon May 28, 2018 12:55 am

Nuvole! wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 3:01 am
... while I have gathered a huge pile of material and ideas, I'm still far from completing them.
I know that feeling! Putting the ideas into words is the hardest part. It took me about four months just to write the stuff in the pdfs I posted before.

I'm now tackling Forces of Good and Neutrality for Khul. I've planned sections on gods (basically what names they use in Khul), the Mage Order, Elves, Dwarfs, Faeries, Sea Sprites, Baalberith, the Juja, Vashti, Selator, Agravert Peltophas, the Wizard of Lake Mlubz, the Riddling Reaver (known to be active in Khul) and the Masters of Scorpion Swamp. Any others I've missed? Should Vanator (Prophet of Kalagar), Mandrake Wolfsbane or Alkis Fearslicer get mentions, for example? I'm thinking that a couple of lines about them in the geography section (The World of Khul, the Dark Continent) would probably be enough.

And without further ado:

Consequences of The First Battle
Accounts of the First Battle are all couched in terms of myth and allegory, making it next to impossible to tell what is reality and what is invention or embellishment. What is certain is that the battle caused untold damage and destruction. Huge swathes of the One Forest were put to the torch, clearing the vast central plains which became the flatlands and Lendleland after the division of the continents. An entire section of the great lateral mountain ridge which used to connect the Anvils of the Gods in the east with the Mountains of Grief in the west was reduced to rubble, along with all the good and evil races who were fighting there at the time. Perhaps the greatest devastation was caused by the bolt of energy which Galana, Glantanka and Kilanirax used to scatter the god Time throughout the world, resulting in the Baklands in Kakhabad becoming a realm of wild, uncontrolled magic where the very passage of time is rendered unpredictable and erratic. Indeed, only the substantial region to the south east of the Shios'ii Mountains survived relatively unchanged.
When Time was obliterated, almost all beings remaining on Titan became mortal. It was only the deepest parts of the ocean, where Hydana made his home, and far underground, where a handful of demons took refuge, that were protected from the ravages of Time. The rest of the gods and demons fled to the Celestial Court and the Pit respectively, in order to retain their immortality. Those left behind immediately felt the effects of age, which had never been experienced before. The elder members of every race grew old and died in droves, leaving only the young and inexperienced. Human civilization was set back almost to the stage of throwing rocks, whilst the longer lifespans of the Elves, Dwarfs and Storm Giants meant that they managed to retain at least some part of the knowledge and experience they had accumulated during the Godtime. Not all humans were willing to give up their eternal lives, however. Just as the gods and demons left Titan to avoid the effects of Time, so some magical practitioners used their art to travel to other planes of existence, such as Maiden's Vale, the home of Vashti the Ageless. Others turned to dark magic to preserve their youth by stealing life force from other individuals or from nature itself.
Although the gods withdrew from the affairs of mortals, they still wished to retain a connection with their creations. At that time, there were no priests as we would know them, because the gods had previously walked freely amongst us and spoken to their adherents directly. Nobody knew how to commune with the residents of the Celestial Court, because there had never before been any need to do so. Looking down on their creation, the gods saw that the people below believed their gods had abandoned them; this could not be allowed to continue. Titan summoned a council of the gods to discuss the issue and it soon became clear to all that the only way for them to re-establish contact with their followers was for one of their number to return to the material plane and attest that it was still possible to call upon the gods for aid. Titan called for a volunteer, but a terrible silence fell within the Celestial Court, for all knew that whoever undertook this most vital task would forfeit their immortality. The silence was broken by the footsteps of one god striding forth to accept the burden. Atlan, the messenger of the gods, said with certainty that he was the best and only choice. There followed a period of great lamentation, but all the gods knew that he spoke the truth and eventually combined their powers to raise a large island from the depths of the sea to create a suitable venue for the instruction of mortals in the arts of prayer and priestly magic.
This island was called Atlantis, after the god who would give up his godhood to become its first king, and Sumas were sent across the world to gather the wisest members of every race, both good and evil. It took several years to train the first generation of priests, who then returned to their homelands, where they taught their skills to others, thus establishing religion as we know it today. But the priests also took knowledge of the paradise island with its mountain of gold. The Elves, Dwarfs and Storm Giants had no interest in moving to an isolated haven in the middle of the ocean, but the chaotic races and humans both resolved to claim this land for themselves. As it was Man that had first mastered the art of seafaring, so it was Men from the south-east of Irritaria that first arrived in Atlantis and swore fealty to Atlan. The Ancient King nurtured his new subjects, educating them in the skills and knowledge that had been lost following the First Battle, and they used this information to construct weapons to repel the first of many waves of invaders. The mortal Atlan married a human woman called Farama and when his life eventually came to an end, as he knew it must, their eldest son Faramos became king. In relinquishing his immortality, Atlan also made it impossible for his soul to return to the Celestial Court after his death and it has remained trapped on the mortal plane ever since. To this day, sensitive individuals still see the face of the Ancient King in the shape of clouds in the sky, the movement of leaves on a tree or the crackling of flames in a log fire. It is sometimes said that these apparitions have important communications for those who see them, showing that even his demise has not prevented the messenger of the gods from fulfilling his duty.
Atlantis City
The capital of the island of Atlantis was always a beautiful city of crystal and precious metals, being designed by the gods as a final gift to Atlan, made even more so by the humans who discovered nearly unlimited reserves of gold in the mountains. The Atlanteans established trade routes throughout the world, crossing the Western Ocean for the first time on 16th Dark (or the 17th Skies in Darkness according to the Atlantean calendar) 408OT. The wealth created by gold and trade allowed the Kings of Atlantis to recruit the best mercenaries, both human and otherwise, to protect their nation from invasion by envious rivals. It also funded great schools of magic and science, attended by the most gifted scholars from every corner of Titan. However, their great success led the Atlanteans to become arrogant and debauched, with mysterious cabals such as the Lifters of the Crimson Veil and the Brotherhood of the Sanguine Spear able to operate with impunity.
Illustration Suggestion: Martin McKenna's incidental artwork showing Jack-in-the-Green (first appearing on page 13 of FF44 Legend of the Shadow Warriors) would fit the bill.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Mon May 28, 2018 10:43 am

Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to look into the center and east of Allansia... Warpstone, wolftown etc.

gloccus

Post by gloccus » Tue May 29, 2018 2:00 am

So far we have:

The Old World: Arion Games (various authors; some text and illustrations produced)
Salamonis: Arion Games (author unknown; current status unknown, but at least one draft map exists)
Arion: Arion Games (author bottg?; possibly set in 1500AC to fit in with the campaign)
Mauristatia: Lorian (occupation table posted to forum, regional Sorcery complete, bestiary in progress)
Arrowhead Islands: Ruffnut (bestiary complete, regional magic and geography section in progress)
Khul: gloccus (chapter 2 first draft posted to the forum, chapter 3 in progress)
Ciarensia: Andrew Wright (text in final or near-final form posted to the forum, last updated March 2018)
Allansia south of Shazâar: Nuvole! (advanced planning stage)
Allansia central + East: HedgeWizard (just started)

Invitation to Ruffnut: I don't know how advanced your Arrowhead Island gazetteer is, but it's a daunting task to try to produce a Titan-size tome from scratch. If you would like to write five thousand or so words for the Oceans and Islands chapter of the Khul Gazetteer I'm making, it might be an easy starting point to build on for your own work in the future.

Invitation to anyone: I feel that the Shining Islands, Mishna, Marpesia and Kalim, the Isles of the Dawn, the Shark Islands and the Coral Islands should be included in the Khul Gazetteer (and possibly the Crucible Islands, the Springhope Islands, the Isles of Refuge, the Blood Islands, Skull Island and Fish Island, although those are probably too far north), but I won't be tackling them until the rest is complete, so if anyone else wants a go, I would be very grateful.

I would of course give full co-author credit and I'm sure that a bite-size project like that would be good preparation for something more substantial later. What I'm looking for is a brief history of the island(s) concerned (just a paragraph or two about each major event since the splitting of the lands) and then a description of the geography and people in the 290s After Chaos: major settlements, religion, politics, commerce and agriculture. Somewhere like the Shining Islands might only need a thousand words, whereas the Isles of the Dawn could run to eight thousand, say. There is a copy of an old discussion of some of the islands in the files section of Titan_Rebuilding, but there's no requirement to follow what was decided there. I'll post the relevant bits here (with attribution), if anyone expresses an interest.

Now, on with the history:

The Time of Heroes
Now that all the peoples of Titan knew they could communicate with the gods through prayer and that the divine beings could reply by means of dreams, visions and portents, they turned increasingly to their priests and shamans to guide them through the turmoil that followed the First Battle. The Elves communed with Erillia deep within the One Forest to explore the scope of elven magic, Kerillîm blessed the excavations of the Dwarfs beneath the mountains of Irritaria, Hamaskis taught his worshippers the secrets of writing and anyone who felt they suffered unfairly called upon Libra for succour. In time, mortals arose who made a name for themselves by their actions and the Time of Heroes had arrived. The White Lord, Hangahar Goldseeker, Harar, Klarn Ugbar and numerous other names are familiar to scholars even now, centuries after they left the mortal plane.
The First Battle had displaced many communities, and whilst some returned to their ancestral homes once the conflict was over, others (particularly amongst humans and the chaotic races) found those homes destroyed or overrun by the enemy. The inevitable struggle for resources made it difficult, if not impossible, to establish permanent settlements and various groups were forced to adopt a nomadic lifestyle. Humans stranded in the sweeping central plains, where the forces of chaos had cleared the One Forest, noticed the advantages in mobility and force of arms that Centaurs and Felinaurs possessed in that terrain and gave prayers to Hunnynhaa to bless their attempts to tame and domesticate horses. Soon, horse nomads were riding the length of the steppes and south as far as the edge of the Scythera Desert, banding together into ever larger groups to dominate the other clans and races.
Meanwhile, in other regions it was possible for communities to settle down in villages, which gradually turned into towns and even cities and whole nations. The fishing villages situated around the coast of the western peninsular formed the kingdom of Granat as early as 384OT, for mutual protection from the Orcs and Trolls in the nearby highlands. In the east, a patchwork of small principalities arose, flourished and were subsequently conquered by neighbours or inhumans in the area that would later become Analand in the Old World and Pikestaff Plain in Khul. The provinces south-east of the Shios'ii Mountains, benefiting from their ancestral links with Atlantis and relative lack of inhuman enemies, were particularly civilized, although this didn't stop them warring with each other whenever they thought it would bring them some economic or political advantage. Elsewhere, non-humans were able to form equally stable and functional domains, such as the Goblins of the western valleys or the Troglodytes living within the Cloudhigh Mountains.
On the fertile grassland between the River Oxal and Scorpion Swamp (called Mudworm Swamp at the time), a Celastrix appeared to the human hero Gravalan, leading him to establish a settlement called Karazan (often mistranslated as Land of the Golden Hawk), which expanded into a country some time in the fourth century. Gravalan may be best known today from the Allansian drinking song Gravalan and the Purple Spotted Mushroom (She pointed and laughed at Gravalan,/Sword slapping on his thigh as away he ran), but at the time he was a respected and beloved figure. The altogether more sombre Sacrifice of Gravalan tells of how he met a wounded Wood Elf whilst hunting alone in Longshadow Forest. The Elf told Gravalan that a party of Life Stealers from the mountains had attacked his village and warned that after they finished slaughtering the inhabitants, they would turn their attentions to the people of the plains. Gravalan set off to take the news home and prepare a defence, but in his haste, he did not see a snare concealed in the leaf-litter scattered over the base of the forest and became hopelessly entangled by it. Knowing that time was of the essence, the hero cut off his own foot to escape the trap, cauterizing the wound with the blade of his sword, so that he could hobble back to civilization and give warning of the impending attack. As a result, the Life Stealers were repulsed and Gravalan entered the annals of legend.
North of the One Forest, life was harder and less certain. Outside the heavily-defended holds and excavations of the Dwarfs and the towers of the mysterious Netherworld Sorcerers, tribes of warlike humans vied with Toa-Suo, Frost Giants and Mountain Orcs for survival. These Men might seem primitive, having little or no use for writing or education, but their burial mounds and barrows which have survived the ensuing centuries show that they had a sophisticated society with trade routes that stretched all the way to the southern tip of Irritaria, the place of origin for some of the grave goods buried with their most revered kings and shamans. The Dark Twins who led the Orc Wars against the Elves in 600OT were drawn from this hardy stock, shamans who summoned demons in a bid for greater power and forbidden knowledge. The Elves believed they destroyed the twins in a wizard's duel, but a demonic pact saw them escape death and go on to plague the forces of good under a hundred other names for more than one and a half millennia.
Ut-Napishtim, Keeper of the Waters of Retribution
West of the Shios'ii Mountains, humans and their Dwarf comrades suffered the same depredations of chaotic armies as elsewhere in the central plains. However, unlike their fellows further north, they chose not to abandon their homes, for the rivers nearby provided much fertile farmland and the mountains were filled with sought-after ores and minerals. The Dwarf smiths forged magical weapons and armour to help repel invaders, but in 314OT, a great force of Orcs and Tuskers was seen approaching, displaced by an even more powerful tribe further north. The locals felt that all was lost, until a young but cunning priest of Aqualis (or Nau'ptha as he was known in that region) came up with a plan to temporarily dam one of the rivers which the horde would have to cross and then release the waters to wash away a great portion of the enemy. It took thirteen days working day and night, but the dam was completed just in time and the plan was successful, the cascading river obliterating everyone caught in the flow and splitting the attacking forces in two. The weary defenders fell upon the section which had already crossed the river and forced them back into the muddy water. The remainder saw the way the battle was going and decided to head elsewhere in search of easier pickings.
The priest, Ut-Napishtim, was rewarded with the title Keeper of the Waters of Retribution and when he died, he was interred within a monumental tomb in the hills near the headwaters of the river he had dammed, surrounded by riches and magical artefacts. This tomb consisted of a large crypt containing Ut-Napishtim's sarcophagus, reached via a long antechamber with several alcoves on either side, protected by many booby-traps, including falling blocks, jets of poison, magical explosives and drowning chambers. For the next two centuries, it was considered a great honour for priests of Nau'ptha to be laid to rest in one of the vacant alcoves in the tomb, wearing enchanted rings which would enable them to animate to defend the tomb should it ever be targeted by robbers. The humans and Dwarfs continued to defend the narrow strip of land they called home until they were finally driven out by marauding bands of Giants and Desert Orcs in or around 632OT.
Illustration Suggestion: Steve Luxton's map of Atlantis and Irritaria on page 113 of Titan—the Fighting Fantasy World is definitely worth a look.
Last edited by gloccus on Wed May 30, 2018 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Tue May 29, 2018 8:26 am

gloccus wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 2:00 am
So far we have:

The Old World: Arion Games (various authors; some text and illustrations produced)
Salamonis: Arion Games (author unknown; current status unknown, but at least one draft map exists)
Arion: Arion Games (author bottg?; possibly set in 1500AC to fit in with the campaign)
Mauristatia: Lorian (current status unknown; reply to this message and I'll update this!)
Arrowhead Islands: Ruffnut (current status unknown; reply to this message and I'll update this!)
Khul: gloccus (chapter 2 first draft posted to the forum, chapter 3 in progress)
Ciarensia: Andrew Wright (text in final or near-final form posted to the forum, last updated March 2018)
Allansia south of Shazâar: Nuvole! (advanced planning stage)
Allansia central + East: HedgeWizard (just started)

Invitation to Ruffnut: I don't know how advanced your Arrowhead Island gazetteer is, but it's a daunting task to try to produce a Titan-size tome from scratch. If you would like to write five thousand or so words for the Oceans and Islands chapter of the Khul Gazetteer I'm making, it might be an easy starting point to build on for your own work in the future.

Invitation to anyone: I feel that the Shining Islands, Mishna, Marpesia and Kalim, the Isles of the Dawn, the Shark Islands and the Coral Islands should be included in the Khul Gazetteer (and possibly the Crucible Islands, the Springhope Islands, the Isles of Refuge, the Blood Islands, Skull Island and Fish Island, although those are probably too far north), but I won't be tackling them until the rest is complete, so if anyone else wants a go, I would be very grateful.

I would of course give full co-author credit and I'm sure that a bite-size project like that would be good preparation for something more substantial later. What I'm looking for is a brief history of the island(s) concerned (just a paragraph or two about each major event since the splitting of the lands) and then a description of the geography and people in the 290s After Chaos: major settlements, religion, politics, commerce and agriculture. Somewhere like the Shining Islands might only need a thousand words, whereas the Isles of the Dawn could run to eight thousand, say. There is a copy of an old discussion of some of the islands in the files section of Titan_Rebuilding, but there's no requirement to follow what was decided there. I'll post the relevant bits here (with attribution), if anyone expresses an interest.

Now, on with the history:

The Time of Heroes
Now that all the peoples of Titan knew they could communicate with the gods through prayer and that the divine beings could reply by means of dreams, visions and portents, they turned increasingly to their priests and shamans to guide them through the turmoil that followed the First Battle. The Elves communed with Erillia deep within the One Forest to explore the scope of elven magic, Kerillîm blessed the excavations of the Dwarfs beneath the mountains of Irritaria, Hamaskis taught his worshippers the secrets of writing and anyone who felt they suffered unfairly called upon Libra for succour. In time, mortals arose who made a name for themselves by their actions and the Time of Heroes had arrived. The White Lord, Hangahar Goldseeker, Harar, Klarn Ugbar and numerous other names are familiar to scholars even now, centuries after they left the mortal plane.
The First Battle had displaced many communities, and whilst some returned to their ancestral homes once the conflict was over, others (particularly amongst humans and the chaotic races) found those homes destroyed or overrun by the enemy. The inevitable struggle for resources made it difficult, if not impossible, to establish permanent settlements and various groups were forced to adopt a nomadic lifestyle. Humans stranded in the sweeping central plains, where the forces of chaos had cleared the One Forest, noticed the advantages in mobility and force of arms that Centaurs and Felinaurs possessed in that terrain and gave prayers to Hunnynhaa to bless their attempts to tame and domesticate horses. Soon, horse nomads were riding the length of the steppes and south as far as the edge of the Scythera Desert, banding together into ever larger groups to dominate the other clans and races.
Meanwhile, in other regions it was possible for communities to settle down in villages, which gradually turned into towns and even cities and whole nations. The fishing villages situated around the coast of the western peninsular formed the kingdom of Granat as early as 384OT, for mutual protection from the Orcs and Trolls in the nearby highlands. In the east, a patchwork of small principalities arose, flourished and were subsequently conquered by neighbours or inhumans in the area that would later become Analand in the Old World and Pikestaff Plain in Khul. The provinces south-east of the Shios'ii Mountains, benefiting from their ancestral links with Atlantis and relative lack of inhuman enemies, were particularly civilized, although this didn't stop them warring with each other whenever they thought it would bring them some economic or political advantage. Elsewhere, non-humans were able to form equally stable and functional domains, such as the Goblins of the western valleys or the Troglodytes living within the Cloudhigh Mountains.
On the fertile grassland between the River Oxal and Scorpion Swamp (called Mudworm Swamp at the time), a Celastrix appeared to the human hero Gravalan, leading him to establish a settlement called Karazan (often mistranslated as Land of the Golden Hawk), which expanded into a country some time in the fourth century. Gravalan may be best known today from the Allansian drinking song Gravalan and the Purple Spotted Mushroom (She pointed and laughed at Gravalan,/Sword slapping on his thigh as away he ran), but at the time he was a respected and beloved figure. The altogether more sombre Sacrifice of Gravalan tells of how he met a wounded Wood Elf whilst hunting alone in Longshadow Forest. The Elf told Gravalan that a party of Life Stealers from the mountains had attacked his village and warned that after they finished slaughtering the inhabitants, they would turn their attentions to the people of the plains. Gravalan set off to take the news home and prepare a defence, but in his haste, he did not see a snare concealed in the leaf-litter scattered over the base of the forest and became hopelessly entangled by it. Knowing that time was of the essence, the hero cut off his own foot to escape the trap, cauterizing the wound with the blade of his sword, so that he could hobble back to civilization and give warning of the impending attack. As a result, the Life Stealers were repulsed and Gravalan entered the annals of legend.
North of the One Forest, life was harder and less certain. Outside the heavily-defended holds and excavations of the Dwarfs and the towers of the mysterious Netherworld Sorcerers, tribes of warlike humans vied with Toa-Suo, Frost Giants and Mountain Orcs for survival. These Men might seem primitive, having little or no use for writing or education, but their burial mounds and barrows which have survived the ensuing centuries show that they had a sophisticated society with trade routes that stretched all the way to the southern tip of Irritaria, the place of origin for some of the grave goods buried with their most revered kings and shamans. The Dark Twins who led the Orc Wars against the Elves in 600OT were drawn from this hardy stock, shamans who summoned demons in a bid for greater power and forbidden knowledge. The Elves believed they destroyed the twins in a wizard's duel, but a demonic pact saw them escape death and go on to plague the forces of good under a hundred other names for more than one and a half millennia.
Ut-Napishtim, Keeper of the Waters of Retribution
West of the Shios'ii Mountains, humans and their Dwarf comrades suffered the same depredations of chaotic armies as elsewhere in the central plains. However, unlike their fellows further north, they chose not to abandon their homes, for the rivers nearby provided much fertile farmland and the mountains were filled with sought-after ores and minerals. The Dwarf smiths forged magical weapons and armour to help repel invaders, but in 314OT, a great force of Orcs and Tuskers was seen approaching, displaced by an even more powerful tribe further north. The locals felt that all was lost, until a young but cunning priest of Aqualis (or Nau'ptha as he was known in that region) came up with a plan to temporarily dam one of the rivers which the horde would have to cross and then release the waters to wash away a great portion of the enemy. It took thirteen days working day and night, but the dam was completed just in time and the plan was successful, the cascading river obliterating everyone caught in the flow and splitting the attacking forces in two. The weary defenders fell upon the section which had already crossed the river and forced them back into the muddy water. The remainder saw the way the battle was going and decided to head elsewhere in search of easier pickings.
The priest, Ut-Napishtim, was rewarded with the title Keeper of the Waters of Retribution and when he died, he was interred within a monumental tomb in the hills near the headwaters of the river he had dammed, surrounded by riches and magical artefacts. This tomb consisted of a large crypt containing Ut-Napishtim's sarcophagus, reached via a long antechamber with several alcoves on either side, protected by many booby-traps, including falling blocks, jets of poison, magical explosives and drowning chambers. For the next two centuries, it was considered a great honour for priests of Nau'ptha to be laid to rest in one of the vacant alcoves in the tomb, wearing enchanted rings which would enable them to animate to defend the tomb should it ever be targeted by robbers. The humans and Dwarfs continued to defend the narrow strip of land they called home until they were finally driven out by marauding bands of Giants and Desert Orcs in or around 632OT.
Illustration Suggestion: Steve Luxton's map of Atlantis and Irritaria on page 113 of Titan—the Fighting Fantasy World is definitely worth a look.
I have done:
Playable and non playable races
Started a new massive magic type - catalyst magic
Named all the islands based on what their purpose is (some in Latin)
And I intend to make super detailed maps using campaign cartographer
A brief overview of all species - how they are viewed etc.
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

Lorian
Knight

Post by Lorian » Tue May 29, 2018 8:33 am

For My Maustrian Gazzteer (Still can't spell it right!)

I have Done:
Playable Monsters with progression options (Nearly Complete)
Encounter Tables (Half Done)
A Type of regional Sorcery (Done)
Maps (Don't even know where to start with this one)
Adventures (Kind of started one)
Villages (Not Started and can't till I have done maps)

Basically I have no idea how to find/make a map of Maustralia That has the factions lands in and villages marked on it. Can anyone help me with this?
Last edited by Lorian on Tue May 29, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Tue May 29, 2018 8:38 am

Lorian wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 8:33 am

I have Done:

Basically I have no idea how to find/make a map of Maustralia That has the factions lands in and villages marked on it. Can anyone help me with this?
Campaign Cartographer? Use red lines to mark boundaries.
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Tue May 29, 2018 9:20 am

Lorian wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 8:33 am

I have Done:

I don't think there ever was a detailed map made, didn't see one in the Titan Atlas for example. So you are free to let your imagination run wild. But at the same time don't feel constrained by the needs to create a detailed map. Remember that FF as a whole was described long before any maps were made and the creators made it clear that they didn't want detailed maps of everything. This is a place to let everyone's imagination run free so it should only be a relatively loose framework rather than the sort of thing you could use with a compass to find your way in the mountains.

Also don't forget this is a world where accurate map making is not really existing, distances are more in terms of how long it takes you to get somewhere than how far it is.

So you can happily write about the villages and then afterwards put some or all on the map.