God generator

Slloyd14
Site Admin

God generator

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:46 pm

Hello all,

I was reading an RPG rulebook for the Bronze Age in preparation for a Bronze Age AFF setting when it reminded me that in the legends from early history, the gods mingled with mortals a lot. This is true across a lot of cultures. For this reason, I invented a God generator where you can create a god with a form, stats and domains and let the god wander around the setting. you can even create your own pantheon.

You can find the document here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bd4mF ... MjGwBJs_Bn

Happy god creating!
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Re: God generator

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:49 pm

Just to see what you can get, here are two sample gods i generated randomly:

Here are some randomly rolled gods. For the purposes of domains, I assumed that the time period was medieval.

God 1

Form: Modified Humanoid
Base creature: Troll
Modifications: Jackal Head (+1 ATTACK, Large Bite), Large muscles (+1 damage rolls, +1 Strength)
Domains: Fire, Trickery
Morality: Good
SKILL: 13
STAMINA: 17
ATTACKS: 3
WEAPONS: Large Bite (1 attack) +3 damage rolls, Battle Axe (2 attacks) +3 damage rolls
ARMOUR: None
LUCK: 12
DEVOTION: 12
POWERS: Create Fire, Reverse Fortune, Bless, Heal
SKILLS: Strength 1
OTHER: None

Comments: My first randomly created god is basically Promethius from Greek Myth. Promethius was a titan who stole fire and gifted it to mortals and, for his trouble, was chained to a rock for eternity whilst eagles pecked at his liver. Aside from this god’s appearance, we have Promethius,

God 2
Form: Modified Animal
Base creature: Eagle
Modifications: Crocodile Head (+1 ATTACK, Large Bite), Skeletal (edged weapons do -1 damage), Tentacles (+1 ATTACK, small claw)
Domains: Travel
Morality: Evil
SKILL: 8
STAMINA: 13
WEAPONS: Large Bite (1 attack), Small Claw (2 attacks)
LUCK: 12
DEVOTION: 12
POWERS: Know Direction, Bless, Ward, Heal
SKILLS: None
OTHER: Edged weapons do 1 point less damage. Dive – in the first round of combat, +3 SKILL.

Comments: Now this is a lot stranger. An evil skeletal eagle as the god of travel. It makes sense that a god of travel is a bird as they can look at the ground as a map from up high. However, its skeletal appearance, crocodile head and tentacles makes it some kind of horror. It is also evil. Maybe it can be a god of assassins and hunters who track their marks in the wild in order to hunt them down and give their victims are horrible death. Also, this god is an example that gods do not necessarily be so overpowered that they are impossible to defeat. An experienced warrior with a magical weapon could fight this creature one on one. Of course, it will come back later, but stopping it temporarily is not an insurmountable task.

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Sat May 26, 2018 1:19 am

Well... sounds like you have Prometheus AND the Eagle ready to eat his liver!!!
If Prometheus was a god that gave the fire (i.e. technology, civilization, knowledge...) to the Humans, perhaps the Eagle one is the god of Ignorance! 8)
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:11 pm

I've updated the document. Multiple domains was too much of a headache. I have also given stat bonuses to the god depending on the domain. Some gods have better stats than others, but I guess that's OK because gods are different strengths. Even a god with the base stats of a scorpion (SKILL 5 STAMINA 2) could give the heroes a run for their money. If the god had the body of a cat and only had the base increase, it would have a SKILL of 5 and a STAMINA of 10. However, it would have other advantages from being small and using its powers. Here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bd4mF ... MjGwBJs_Bn

Here are the sample gods:

God 1
Form: Modified Humanoid
Base creature: Troll
Modifications: Jackal Head (+1 ATTACK, Large Bite), Large muscles (+1 damage rolls, +1 Strength)
Domains: Fire
Morality: Good
SKILL: 14
STAMINA: 17
WEAPONS: Large Bite (1 attack) +3 damage rolls, Battle Axe (2 attacks) +3 damage rolls
LUCK: 11
DEVOTION: 11
POWERS: Create Fire, Smite, Bless, Heal
SKILLS: Strength 1
Comments: My first randomly created god is basically Promethius from Greek Myth. Promethius was a titan who stole fire and gifted it to mortals and, for his trouble, was chained to a rock for eternity whilst eagles pecked at his liver. Aside from this god’s appearance, we have Promethius,

God 2
Form: Modified Animal
Base creature: Eagle
Modifications: Crocodile Head (+1 ATTACK, Large Bite), Skeletal (edged weapons do -1 damage), Tentacles (+1 ATTACK, small claw)
Domains: Travel
SKILL: 9
STAMINA: 13
WEAPONS: Large Bite (1 attack), Small Claw (2 attacks)
POWERS: Know Direction, Bless, Ward, Heal
OTHER: Edged weapons do 1 point less damage. Dive – in the first round of combat, +3 SKILL.
Comments: Now this is a lot stranger. An evil skeletal eagle as the god of travel. It makes sense that a god of travel is a bird as they can look at the ground as a map from up high. However, its skeletal appearance, crocodile head and tentacles makes it some kind of horror. It is also evil. Maybe it can be a god of assassins and hunters who track their marks in the wild in order to hunt them down and give their victims are horrible death. Also, this god is an example that gods do not necessarily be so overpowered that they are impossible to defeat. An experienced warrior with a magical weapon could fight this creature one on one. Of course, it will come back later, but stopping it temporarily is not an insurmountable task.

God 3
Form: Animal
Base creature: Jackal
Modifications: None
Domains: Pride
Morality: Neutral
SKILL: 9
STAMINA: 12
ATTACKS: 1
WEAPONS: Large Bite
POWERS: Pride, Bless, Bravery, Heal
Comments: The jackal as the god of pride. This sounds ripe for a folk tale about how a jackal become too prideful one day and ended up in all kinds of trouble.

God 4
Form: Modified
Base creature: Scorpion
Modifications: Slimy
Domains: Fire
SKILL: 10
STAMINA: 10
WEAPONS: Sting (as small bite +2 damage for poison)
ARMOUR: Light
POWERS: Create Fire, Smite, Bless, Heal
OTHER: Slimy skin – each hit, roll 1d6. An opponent loses their weapon on the roll of a 1.
Comments: An evil scorpion god of fire sounds very intriguing. Maybe it burns down the homes of people for not worshiping it.

God 5
Form: Modified humanoid
Base creature: Merfolk
Modifications: Compound eyes
Domain: Cold
Morality: Neutral
SKILL: 13
STAMINA: 14
WEAPONS: Trident (as Spear)
POWERS: Freeze, Commune, Sanctuary, Heal
SKILLS: Awareness +1
Comments: I must admit, I fudged it a little when I saw it was a merfolk and when I saw Justice, so I changed the domain to primal with cold. This god could be a god that roams the polar oceans, freezing water. Since it is neutral, it may help or hinder mariners on a whim, sometimes healing them or protecting them from the elements whilst it gets help and sometimes sending them to a frozen doom. Be careful when you traverse the waters!

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Sun May 27, 2018 3:02 am

I would leave the roll for domanis optional, as often the rest of the rolls suggest the Director a better idea of what the domain should be.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

SkinnyOrc
Knight

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sun May 27, 2018 4:26 am

This is also great for a normal Titan campaign. For that I wouldn't have them available to meet and fight but the stats still flesh out what people think they're like.