Plain text rulesbooks for tablets and readers

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Plain text rulesbooks for tablets and readers

Post by Slloyd14 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:00 am

Hi all! I have a tablet and a Kindle which I sometimes like to read pdfs on. I have noticed that some RPG books with lavish illustrations not only take up huge amounts of space but also cause my pdf reader to crash. pdfs that are just text do not do this.

My question is, am I the only person with this problem? Would it be possible/desirable to include a no illustration pdf with a pdf purchase?
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Re: Plain text rulesbooks for tablets and readers

Post by SkinnyOrc » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:38 am

Going through the AFF PDFs and taking all the images out wouldn't be too much work but the problem will be the layout completely changes. So then you spend more time fixing layout glitches, stuff splitting across pages where it doesn't make sense and so on. A bit of work.

Some RPG PDFs have each page as one big image made by scanning a real book. Those are going to be big and harder work to display but my old first gen iPad is great for those (although had to install a third party PDF reader app).

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:37 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:38 am
Going through the AFF PDFs and taking all the images out wouldn't be too much work but the problem will be the layout completely changes. So then you spend more time fixing layout glitches, stuff splitting across pages where it doesn't make sense and so on. A bit of work.
Inwas thinking this, but then I wondered if there is a text only copy made before the illustrations are added?
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:59 am

there is, but proofreading is normally done on the pdf copy.

I will see what i can do though.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:59 am

One option would be to put the text into an EPUB file, a format specially for eReaders. From what I know the difference is a PDF has a fixed layout for each page but an EPUB doesn't, it's just the text and the eReader arranges it on screen how it likes based on the font size selected, screen size and so on. Not sure how well that works with tables though. Kindle uses it's own format called MOBI while EPUB is open source and used on most others, but you can convert from one to the other on a PC.