Minor Magic

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Minor Magic

Post by HedgeWizard » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:02 am

As my tag suggests I have a special soft spot for Minor Magic, it may not have the drama of the major styles but is so usable and entertaining that I just can’t help making it a major focus with characters

Some changes though which I would like to propose:

Currently you learn 3 cantraps per level of minor Magic which means a maximum of 18. There are 30 odd in the main rule book (plus others published elsewhere) and there are no restrictions on any of the other Magic styles as to how many spells you can learn. So I propose the following: when advancing a level you learn 3 cantraps but you can also continue to learn packets of 3 cantraps even when you have maxed out on your minor Magic level (I.e. equal to half your Magic characteristic).

Some new cantraps based on more the Necromatic cantraps:

Mask (duration 10 minutes): Changes the casters features to look like someone else they know or even make it animal like. Can be quite realistic if the intended face has a similar size and structure to the caster. Can also be cast to change the colour of eyes or hair. Can be seen through with an Awareness or Luck test.

Scent (duration 10 minutes): A touched object will start giving off a scent of the casters choice. Works best inside or where there is no wind.

Animate (Untill the following dawn): Animates à small model no bigger than the casters hand made of wood or clay. It cannot act on its own but follows the will of the caster. Can move and manipulate objects as well as fight with Skill 3 Stamina 3 Damage 1. —- Wizards chess anyone?

Here are some others:

Levitate (duration 1 minute): Make à small light object (sheet of paper, quill etc) float gently in the direction desired by the caster.

Annul Cantrap: Cast with -2 difficulty and counters one minor Magic Cantrap. Either stops it or removes its effects.

Dawndeath

Re: Minor Magic

Post by Dawndeath » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:14 pm

Good ideas. :)

Ruffnut
Hero

Re: Minor Magic

Post by Ruffnut » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:12 pm

These are really good
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.