Simplified magic system similar to Luck -- your thoughts?

Laurence

Simplified magic system similar to Luck -- your thoughts?

Post by Laurence » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:47 pm

I'm interested in creating a simple, easy-to-understand way to handle magic for younger players, or for adults entirely new to gaming. For example, if you're meeting people for the first time and running an introductory RPG.

Here goes:

In this simplified system, Magic works like Luck. When you want to cast a spell, roll 2d6. If the result is equal to or lower than your Magic score, the spell goes off as intended; otherwise it doesn't. Either way, reduce your Magic score by one point.

That's it.

Magic points would be regained about as fast as Luck, or maybe fully regained after a night of rest.

I figure this would only work with a very basic spell list, such as found in The Citadel of Chaos, or Legend of Zagor. For example, here's the Amarillian Grimoire from Legend of Zagor:

Create Food
Jump
Light
Luck Spell
Open
Skill Spell
Fast Hands
Fireball
Magic Screen
Death Spell
Thunderbolt
Teleport
Steal Treasure

Any thoughts?

Laurence

Re: Simplified magic system similar to Luck -- your thoughts?

Post by Laurence » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:54 pm

I should also add that this is not meant for a long-term campaign. Mostly just one-shot adventures.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:29 am

I like it - since LUCK is your ability for things to work in your favour then it makes sense that people could practise and train to use their luck as a resource to make things work their way when they want.

My suggestion for simple spells would be:

1 damage dealing spell (firebolt)
Skill/damage increase spell
Open
Jump/Levitate/Fly
Invisibility
Illusion
Counterspell
Find
Charm
Speed
Heal - but be careful to make sure that they don't abuse it - maybe damage reduction or bonus to save vs disease and poison instead of restoring stamina.
Speak to animals/plants

These spells could scale to make them more powerful if you spend more luck on them. For example, if you spend 1 luck on levitate, it gives a bonus to jump rolls. 2 luck points enable proper levitation up and down and 4 points enable proper flying.

Another way to go is that spending luck points helps, but in ways that makes the character look like they were lucky or that their enemies were unlucky. This limits effects to things such as:

Rerolling dice
Skill bonuses
Skill penalties
Damage reduction
Damage increase
Avoiding fumbles
Finding items you need nearby, even though they are rare
Doing things that are very unlikely to happen, but rely on luck (such as getting 100 straight heads in a row on 100 coin flips or throwing a knife at someone on a spinning target whilst blindfolding and missing them)

There are two ways to go....
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:41 am

Sorry - I just realised that you aren't using luck as a magic resource.

I guess to scale up the spells, you could give yourself penalties to the roll.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:50 pm

Sounds like a fair option for a fairly low magic settings.
If you want to cast more powerful magic you can either increase the LUCK reduction or include ingredients for casting (a bit like Sorcery) or extend the casting time, or, as suggested, apply heavy penalties for miscasting, or... a mix of the above ;)
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

LordArioch
Adventurer

Post by LordArioch » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:34 am

Cool idea! Playtest it and tell us how it worked.

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:57 pm

Definitely looks interesting; it might help with demoing the game at a con, as well, since you want the game to flow well in that kind of environment.