Any plan for à third édition ?

LordArioch
Adventurer

Re: Any plan for à third édition ?

Post by LordArioch » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:35 am

re: crits

Instead of 6-6 (2.78%), why not any double (16.67%) as a "magic" effect or skill-based reward for more experienced PCs?

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:24 am

rather than quoting multiple people in one post i am going to reply to the last 3 here

so higher WSS giving less penalties when using special combat options could work, but i think people would just always go all out attack after having WSS 2 because they'd just get a +1 bonus to damage.

the idea of SS levels remove negatives works to a degree, i do like it, but it does mean 2 people with equal Skill are equally good at climbing (using your example) an easy climbable surface.

which leads to the funny situation where the skilled one fails to climb something easy repeatedly, then an almost impossible climb they shimmy up it like it's nothing...!!

excessively high hit rolls = critical would reduce the use of All out attack combat option (why take -2 to hit for +1 damage if you're more likely to get a critical hit without that -2 to hit?)

the doubles idea is of interest. Maybe WSS increases gives an additional chance of a critical hit with a double 5 instead of just a double 6 like Lord Arioch suggested, on the basis that you also won the round anyway.
this would scale okay because by the time you are scoring double 3 chances are you won't win the round unless your opponent is very low combat score anyway.

so WSS1 gives +1 Combat Score, WSS 2 gives +1 Combat score and double 5 gives a critical hit if you won the round anyway and so on.

could work, looks more complicated to explain how it works, but doesn't increase the complexity of the actual die roll and maths.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:16 pm

In general the All out attack option is not much used by my players anyway: they'd do anything to have a higher attack roll, rather than lower + more damage.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:49 pm

I'm curious, are people reluctant to give increased crit ranges instead of some AS bonuses for WSS? If you are is it because you don't like making WSS work differently to other skills, or you don't want to do anything that increases crits?

In some games criticals are really dangerous, but in AFF2 there's no decapitation or other insta-death from them. As Dawndeath pointed out, they're of more danger to the PCs due to the erosion of their SKILL over multiple encounters, but the PCs getting to deal out a few more of them doesn't make that much difference, and a lot less than more AS bonuses.

Even adding extra crits to monsters is fine as long as they only get them if their SKILL is high enough. Looking at end results, I'd rather significantly reduce those crits from numerous weak creatures and have more from the big bads so they're scarier.

Slloyd14 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:29 pm
Here's a way of avoiding the absurd skill + special skill scores.

Special skills only reduce penalties - they don't provide bonuses.
I had to let this one settle, it's an innovative and interesting idea. At the end of the day I do like how special skill bonuses in the rulebook work for everything except weapons. It's just simple and intuitive. So I don't really want to throw that out to fix what I see as an issue just with WSS. But I'm happy to do something different for WSS to most of the other special skills, I don't see why that's a problem.

Completely agree that special skills should allow you to do some things automatically, and I think also should change what the worst and best results possible from a test are. That comes down a lot to Director judgement, but adding some examples would be really helpful in a revised rulebook.

Nuvole! wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:20 am
Critical hits: I think there could be an optional rule to deal critical hits not only when you roll a double 6, but also when your attack roll is much higher than needed to hit
I've thought about basing crits on how much you win the round by, it's logical it would work like that. But it means you're doing a calculation every combat roll to see if it's a crit, and that's going to slow the game down more than I'd like. There's always a balance to strike between realism and what's going to run smoothly in a game.
Last edited by SkinnyOrc on Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:54 pm

Ooh, here's another one that I haven't tested yet. I've just had the thought. When you do a skill test, you roll 2d6 +1d6 for every point of relevant special skill you have and take the best two d6s. This is a very occasioal mechanic in Fighting Fantasy (like the Fast Hands spell) - it never makes rolls higher than 12.

I just used anydice for the distribution of the best 2d6 when rolling 6d6 and the chance of rolling getting two 6s is 26.32% giving a 1 in 4 chance for a critical. Probably too high...
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:07 am

Nuvole! wrote:
I think there could be an optional rule to deal critical hits not only when you roll a double 6, but also when your attack roll is much higher than needed to hit
I clicked that when I've looked at doing this before it was for other games, and with the way AFF2 works the calculation is really easy. You already know the adjusted AS of both sides to decide who wins, so you just have a crit being winning the round by 6 or more, or whatever the number is for the PC with that weapon. I think you could use this instead of on a 12. What's maybe tricky is figuring out what the right numbers are at each WSS level for the AS difference to get a crit, so they happen with the right frequency.

Slloyd14 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:54 pm
When you do a skill test, you roll 2d6 +1d6 for every point of relevant special skill you have and take the best two d6s. This is a very occasioal mechanic in Fighting Fantasy (like the Fast Hands spell) - it never makes rolls higher than 12.
It's a neat mechanic which makes me want to find a use for it. The combat system likely isn't the best place for it though because it involves rolling a lot of dice. It might be an alternative for non-combat tests.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:33 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:07 am
Nuvole! wrote:
I think there could be an optional rule to deal critical hits not only when you roll a double 6, but also when your attack roll is much higher than needed to hit
I clicked that when I've looked at doing this before it was for other games, and with the way AFF2 works the calculation is really easy. You already know the adjusted AS of both sides to decide who wins, so you just have a crit being winning the round by 6 or more, or whatever the number is for the PC with that weapon. I think you could use this instead of on a 12. What's maybe tricky is figuring out what the right numbers are at each WSS level for the AS difference to get a crit, so they happen with the right frequency.
To me it makes sense that, if you can hit your opponent easily (i.e. by a wide margin) you should be able to deal more (critical) damage as well, while normally criticals are just a lucky factor accessible to everybody with the same frequency (roll 12).
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:02 pm

Nuvole! wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:33 pm
To me it makes sense that, if you can hit your opponent easily (i.e. by a wide margin) you should be able to deal more (critical) damage as well, while normally criticals are just a lucky factor accessible to everybody with the same frequency (roll 12).
Okay I see what you're saying, you should be able to get crits by ability or by getting lucky. That does make sense.

As Dawndeath was saying, the "lucky crits" on a double six are a bit of a problem because they become a statistical certainty with enough attacks happening. On the other hand you do want a 12 to always win the round so there's a chance no matter what the SKILL difference. In my Combat Options pdf I had that crits on numbers other than 12 weren't automatic wins and the crit has no effect if you don't win. I didn't want to mess with how a 12 worked, but I can see now you need to.

So what I suggest is any time someone rolls what they need for a crit (my doc has extended crit ranges for high SKILL creatures too) it only does the double damage and SKILL loss if they have the higher combat total that round. A double six automatically wins the round but doesn't guarantee them the higher combat total. I would think of the criticals and the winning the round on a 12 as completely separate things.

What that means is the percent chances below for my extended crit ranges based on WSS are only for if you're winning. If you have WSS 3 and get crits on an 11 or 12 you have an 8.32% chance of a crit on the rounds you win.

WSS .... AS. ... Critical ... Crit %
0 ....... -2 ....... 12 ....... 2.77
1 ....... +0 ....... 12 ....... 2.77
2 ....... +1 ....... 12 ....... 2.77
3 ....... +1 ..... 11-12 ..... 8.32
4 ....... +2 ..... 11-12 ..... 8.32
5 ....... +2 ..... 10-12 .... 16.67
6 ....... +3 ..... 10-12 .... 16.67

That also means weak creatures can still get lucky and inflict a crit on a PC, but it's much less likely than 1 in 36 because they need to not only roll a 12 but also for the PC to roll low.

I think a revision of my combat pdf is inevitable at this point...
Last edited by SkinnyOrc on Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:58 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:02 pm
So what I suggest is any time someone rolls what they need for a crit (my doc has extended crit ranges for high SKILL creatures too) it only does the double damage and SKILL loss if they have the higher combat total that round. A double six automatically wins the round but doesn't guarantee them the higher combat total. I would think of the criticals and the winning the round on a 12 as completely separate things.

What that means is the percent chances below for my extended crit ranges based on WSS are only for if you're winning. If you have WSS 3 and get crits on an 11 or 12 you have an 8.32% chance of a crit on the rounds you win.

WSS .... AS. ... Critical ... Crit %
0 ....... -2 ....... 12 ....... 2.77
1 ....... +0 ....... 12 ....... 2.77
2 ....... +1 ....... 12 ....... 2.77
3 ....... +1 ..... 11-12 ..... 8.32
4 ....... +2 ..... 11-12 ..... 8.32
5 ....... +2 ..... 10-12 .... 16.67
6 ....... +3 ..... 10-12 .... 16.67

That also means weak creatures can still get lucky and inflict a crit on a PC, but it's much less likely than 1 in 36 because they need to not only roll a 12 but also for the PC to roll low.

I think a revision of my combat pdf is inevitable at this point...
Okay, I was a little skeptical at first simply because the suggested changes make combat slightly more complicated; since the speed and simplicity of AFF combat is one of the big appeals of the system for me. But this reasoning makes a lot of sense and I think I will have to give it a try.

I'm definitely keen to see any updates to your combat options pdf, SkinnyOrc.