Crown Of Kings

Ruffnut
Hero

Crown Of Kings

Post by Ruffnut » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:57 pm

Soon I'll be (hopefully) GMing the Crown Of Kings adventure for a group I currently play DnD with. It would be the groups first time using AFF, but they would Cope with that, but I was wondering ways in which I could improve the adventure to make it more realistic enemy stats wise, or generally better for a bunch of RPG veterans, who would not like the railroaded aspects of it and how most encounters don't tie together much etc and some encounters aren't very serious. If anyone has any suggestions I would be so grateful to hear them
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

Martigan

Re: Crown Of Kings

Post by Martigan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:39 pm

I know what you mean. Go see the section house rules suggestions of this forum for more. But, what i do is choosing between low (1-7), average (7-10) and high (10-16) for the skill of the monster i want. For example, à goblin is between low and average un skill. The goblin can have 9 in skill. Its simple. A minotaur is high in skill. He can have 13 skill if your players have high stats. For stamina, same system of customisation. Low (1-10), average (10-30), high (10-60). The minotaur can have 30 stamina. Go with your judgement. Low can be (1-9) average (7-12) and high (10-16) for skill and low (1-15), average (10-45) and high (30-60) for stamina if you want à better more flexibility of the guideline i suggest to you. This system is an inspiration of the creating monster section of the rulebook. See the puddle jumper. Thats what i made for every monsters in my version of the game.

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:38 am

Thanks! I usually just double the stamina with most (4x+ for giants) add 1-2 skill and maybe improve weapons and armour
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:29 am

It's been a while since I read it so this is all from memory, but as a whole I don't think you need to see it as a railroad. When you have an adventure where they start at A and need to get to B to do something, there's nothing wrong with it detailing what they'll face taking the shortest route between those. You can roleplay them considering the mission so the start isn't a railroad and if they accept they're heading for Mampang.

What I believe is important with this sort of adventure is you don't try to stop them if they get distracted by a side trek or try to take a different route. You can drop hints in game it may be slower to get there that way but if they want to do it let them. Be prepared to move encounters from the expected route to the one they take. I've been told this is the "quantum ogre", that no matter which route they take they get the same encounters. I call it efficient use of GM resources, I mean who has the time? But of course you should modify the encounters to suit the new route and leave out anything that doesn't fit. Worst case you might need to ad-lib a bit or prepare some new material.

What I'd do is go through the adventure and note any bits that really do force the party to do anything. I'm wondering about the Khare bit, you should be able to go around the city really and I don't remember what the AFF2 adventure does to get them to enter. There needs to be a compelling reason. If you post anything like that here we can figure out workarounds.

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:01 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:29 am
It's been a while since I read it so this is all from memory, but as a whole I don't think you need to see it as a railroad. When you have an adventure where they start at A and need to get to B to do something, there's nothing wrong with it detailing what they'll face taking the shortest route between those. You can roleplay them considering the mission so the start isn't a railroad and if they accept they're heading for Mampang.

What I believe is important with this sort of adventure is you don't try to stop them if they get distracted by a side trek or try to take a different route. You can drop hints in game it may be slower to get there that way but if they want to do it let them. Be prepared to move encounters from the expected route to the one they take. I've been told this is the "quantum ogre", that no matter which route they take they get the same encounters. I call it efficient use of GM resources, I mean who has the time? But of course you should modify the encounters to suit the new route and leave out anything that doesn't fit. Worst case you might need to ad-lib a bit or prepare some new material.

What I'd do is go through the adventure and note any bits that really do force the party to do anything. I'm wondering about the Khare bit, you should be able to go around the city really and I don't remember what the AFF2 adventure does to get them to enter. There needs to be a compelling reason. If you post anything like that here we can figure out workarounds.
Thanks!

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:09 pm

Maybe you can find some idea in previous threads dealing with similar issues:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=409
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=462
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=410
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=415
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=398
Have a good check, as I may have missed some...
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:51 am

Thanks!!

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:54 am

Nuvole! wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:09 pm
Maybe you can find some idea in previous threads dealing with similar issues:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=409
I put the solution I came up with for the Khare problem in this old thread about it.

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:27 pm

Yeah I saw, it's epic

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:26 am

I've added a bit about how the change affects the Mampang guard captain encounter.

drbargle

Post by drbargle » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:57 pm

Nearly six years ago I ran the Crown of Kings for my then group of players. you can read play reports and reflections starting here:

https://drbargle.blogspot.com/2013/07/t ... indle.html

I have a 'Crown of Kings' label that I think that I applied to all relevant (and some maybe not so relevant) posts.

If I was to run it again - and I would - I would do two things differently. Well, there would be two *big* things that I would do differently.

First, I would transform each section into an explicit 'point crawl'. The point crawl is the perfect model for AFF adventures. Chris Kutalik's series is very good:
http://hillcantons.blogspot.com/2014/11 ... index.html

In other words, I'd give the players a lot more freedom to move about the Shamutanti Hills, Khare, The Baklands, and the trek through Low and High Xamen. Mampang is a bit different, obviously being a 'dungeon', but even there it could be made a little less linear without too much effort.

https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/13 ... he-dungeon

Second, I'd worry less about Skill and Stamina of the opponents, and more about numbers. Being outnumbered is dangerous in AFF - I've no problems with a PC being about to cut through individual Goblins, but a small group will surround that PC, stack the bonuses, and, as they roll more dice they are more likely to roll a Critical too. The problem as you've noted is bigger, solo monsters. Well, in the first section, there is no problem adding another Giant or two, but the Manticore should perhaps be given some minions - though I rule that monsters with multiple attacks are only outnumbered once they are fighting more opponents than they have attacks.