Maelstrom Rome released

Everything to do with the classic RPG and its sequels:
Maelstrom Domesday; Maelstrom Gothic; Maelstrom Rome.

Moderators: bottg, PaulB

bottg
Site Admin

Maelstrom Rome released

Post by bottg » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:17 pm

Ruffnut
Hero

Re: Maelstrom Rome released

Post by Ruffnut » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:02 pm

Looks epic!!
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:04 am

Already got it and enjoying reading, it’s an impressive piece of work from what I can see! Although I prefered is the character artwork in Doomsday.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:44 pm

Thanks! I agree that the Domesday art was superb, but to have paid Chris to have produced every bit of art i needed i think i might have had to remortgage the house...

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:36 am

I can imagine it’s a serious investment. I’ve finished reading it now and really enjoyed it, I’m by no means an expert on Ancient Rome but certainly feels Roman. Looking forward to my first game!

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:47 pm

Has anyone ran/played this version yet? My group were not keen on the magic/probability system for Maelstrom Domesday so we've not yet played this version.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:30 pm

I’ve had a go with Rome, if they didn’t like the magic system then they might be a stumbling block because this works in a similar way. So either use it for a more historical style game or adapt the magic rules I’d say.

What you can do is change what is possible at each level to make it more of a high magic setting. The system is a narrative one at its heart so gives you great flexibility, they want to be throwing fireballs around then either make it a level 2 possibility or find ways which that would be more likely to happen (e.g. carrying bags of flammable liquid)