New stat checks.

darksoul
Knight

New stat checks.

Post by darksoul » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:59 am

I've been going through a bunch of the books lately. I've encountered some interesting Stat checks.

STAMINA & LUCK Check: Roll 2 dice. You must roll under both your STAMINA and LUCK.(Not added together)
Example uses: When on a boat and fighting the current in an attempt to make it safely through with some control.

STAMINA Check: Roll 2 dice. Your STAMINA needs to be more then this number. If a feat is even more difficult roll 3 dice.
Uses: This check is used often on numerous checks. Endurance check, Swimming check, Jumping check, Climbing check, Willpower check, Resisting some spell, Lifting heavy objects, breaking down a door, trying to remove a cursed item
The books have used this in different ways. In some cases you rolled the dice and checked if your Stamina was greater then that roll. The roll was the difficultly of what you are overcoming. In some other books there was a target number and your stamina had to match or exceed the target number.

SKILL & LUCK Check: Roll 5 dice and attempt to get a score below your combined SKILL and LUCK
Use Example: Trying to get a set of Keys on a wall while balancing precariously over a pit and you have little time as an enemy approaches.

Multi SKILL check: Roll 2 dice 3 times. Attempt to roll below your SKILL two times out of three.
Use examples: Sliding down a chute and attempting to stop your self from falling further.

SKILL & STAMINA Check. This is the only check of this kind I've found so far. There is a tree sized beam of wood that is used to bar a massive double door. You roll 8 dice. The total must be below your combined SKILL and STAMINA score.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Re: New stat checks.

Post by HedgeWizard » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:58 pm

The FF books had their rules changing depending on what the particular writer wanted to achieve so you’ll find all sorts of stuff in there and little harmonisation.

What’s wrong with the AFF rules as they are? There are some small changes which have been adopted by the community over time but the core rules have not been changed because they work :-). These are quite fundamental changes which you are showing there.

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:51 am

HedgeWizard wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:58 pm
The FF books had their rules changing depending on what the particular writer wanted to achieve so you’ll find all sorts of stuff in there and little harmonisation.

What’s wrong with the AFF rules as they are? There are some small changes which have been adopted by the community over time but the core rules have not been changed because they work :-). These are quite fundamental changes which you are showing there.
I'm showing it mostly as information for anyone might be interested in these rules from the game books and is considering adding them to their game. In the past some other forum members were looking for more information to help them story-tell things like Testing your luck, Luck rewards and other kinds of checks.
It shows how even with only 3 stats the game can become a little bit more complex. The SKILL-LUCK & STAMINA-LUCK check's are interesting. It would be a rare case where they are used though.

The one that really peaks my interest is the Stamina Checks. It gives a simple and already existing expansion to the rules with no extra work needed. It would move certain Skill checks away from SKILL and put some more emphasis on STAMINA making it more then just a health meter. It's just me, but it bothers me that every skill is covered by SKILL. The Description of STAMINA in the FF books is "Your STAMINA score reflects your general constitution, your will to survive, your determination and overall fitness" That means that a STAMINA check can be made for things like a willpower check, endurance checks, strength lifting checks, jumping checks. Since, STAMINA changes more then any other stat it would have more importance then just a health barometer when players realize that the lower their STAMINA score, the lower the chance they have of jumping a pit, breaking open a door or running away from an enemy.

I posted this more as something of interest but it wouldn't be hard to change if used in an AFF game. The books often made players make stamina checks and the books are the predecessors to AFF2e.
I like to keep things simple too. If put in an AFF game I'd do the following. Willpower, endurance, lifting, swimming & jumping checks are made using a Stamina check. If a character has, Strength, Climb or Swim Skills for example, then they can use that instead of the Stamina Check.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:13 pm

I read my post again and realise it came across a bit too hard. For that I apologise, posting and doing housework are not a good combination: focus on one thing at a time or get a familiar!

My point was just we need to keep in mind that a lot changed between the original FF books and AFF. The first are very variable in their approach while the second is much more streamlined (and in my mind stronger) but indeed there are many ways which a director can use other ways to add some uncertainty.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:22 am

personally I like the idea of combined stat checks.
especially Stamina would reflect well that your diminished health if having an impact, could also deter players that happily wander around with 4 Stamina out of possible 12 relying on their good Skill, Dodge or Armour to keep them safe.

I often use some form of other special skill modifier in game: you're hiding in the woods use Stealth with a bonus equal to your Wood Lore, minus your opponents Awareness and Wood lore for example. what? you're hiding from wood elves in the woods but you have no wood lore? ok...good luck with that!

if I were going to do this I would do something like -1 if the warrior has lost 25% of their starting Stamina, -2 for 50% of starting Stamina, -4 for having lost 75% of their starting Stamina and -6 for being in their last 2 Stamina.
I would also use these modifiers to rolls to resist poisons and similar to their Luck score roll...although I am reluctant to do that because it takes away the "i am just very lucky" idea of such a character.

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:59 am

HedgeWizard wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:13 pm
I read my post again and realise it came across a bit too hard. For that I apologise, posting and doing housework are not a good combination: focus on one thing at a time or get a familiar!

My point was just we need to keep in mind that a lot changed between the original FF books and AFF. The first are very variable in their approach while the second is much more streamlined (and in my mind stronger) but indeed there are many ways which a director can use other ways to add some uncertainty.
Thank you for the apology. I actually wasn't sure if you we're being hard or not. I've debated with lots of people online and found that I misunderstand the other persons tone sometimes. When I read your post I was unsure about the tone so I thought it would better to keep a neutral tone.

The systems' changed somewhat but not that much. AFF2 adjusted from AFF1 by keeping initial skill lower and giving the option of having skills to help boost your score. Your SKILL+skill score still stays between 7-12 iirc. You could easily take an AFF2 character and run them in an FF book. I'm not sure I'd say it streamlined things. Do you have an example of what's been streamlined? Do you mean because everything is covered by SKILL for checks?

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:13 am

Eddie wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:22 am
personally I like the idea of combined stat checks.
especially Stamina would reflect well that your diminished health if having an impact, could also deter players that happily wander around with 4 Stamina out of possible 12 relying on their good Skill, Dodge or Armour to keep them safe.

I often use some form of other special skill modifier in game: you're hiding in the woods use Stealth with a bonus equal to your Wood Lore, minus your opponents Awareness and Wood lore for example. what? you're hiding from wood elves in the woods but you have no wood lore? ok...good luck with that!

if I were going to do this I would do something like -1 if the warrior has lost 25% of their starting Stamina, -2 for 50% of starting Stamina, -4 for having lost 75% of their starting Stamina and -6 for being in their last 2 Stamina.
I would also use these modifiers to rolls to resist poisons and similar to their Luck score roll...although I am reluctant to do that because it takes away the "i am just very lucky" idea of such a character.
lol! Laughing cause of your hiding example :D
While pondering about the idea of combining Stat checks I thought that if a player needed to make a STAMINA/SKILL check or some other combined check then he would roll 2 dice and try to make sure the roll was under both his stats. So if he had to a SKILL of 8 and STAMINA of 6 then his check would have to roll below the lower of the 2 numbers. Not sure yet.
I'd leave luck alone. Luck seems to be something that is never modified.

Interestingly enough, I read somewhere that D&D used to have a diminished stat ability rule of some kind in it's early workings but it was gotten rid of because players wanted to play the type of character who fought hard till the end. With what I wrote above a player can still fight hard but there is some other things they couldn't do well.