Questions about priestly spell Ward

Nuvole!
Archmage

Questions about priestly spell Ward

Post by Nuvole! » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:04 am

There are few aspects of priestly spell Ward that are not clear to me: does the priest choose where the 3m radius area will be? Does it necessarily need to be around the priest or can it be somewhere else? If it can be somewhere else, at what distance from the priest can it be cast? If it needs to be around the priest, after casting, can the wriest walk away? If yes, what will happen to the area of the spell? Will it stay there or move with the priest?
Above all, it is not clear what is the duration of the spell: will the protected area last forever or just for a round or something in between?
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Ruffnut V2

Re: Questions about priestly spell Ward

Post by Ruffnut V2 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:55 am

I would assume its cast around the priest but stays still even if he moves
I forgot the password to my old account and the "Recover Password" feature seems to be broken.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:36 am

It talks about a "protected zone" and it restricting affected beings from "entering the area", so I took it to be on a 3m radius area and not move. But that still leaves open what range from the priest the area can be when they use the power. A number of metres equal to the Priests Devotion would work. For duration, at least a number of combat rounds equal to the Priests Devotion and it seems like it could be longer, maybe a minute per Devotion or even more.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:52 am

i love the idea of a priest just wandering around making Warded areas that are permanent!!

If not specified I would assume it isn't permanent, although I don't think it would be especially overpowered as such. Thinking about it the temples of Good gods would likely be warded against evil entities anyway.

There would need to be some kind of counter for the Evil priests.

As stated at the start, your god of choice might not like random warded areas dotted throughout the world!
would these areas be de facto "holy sites"? if so and they become desecrated by Evil would that negatively affect the god?

so many questions and possible plot lines to put into adventures :lol:

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:57 pm

If it was permanent I can see some fringe cult who's made it their mission to ward the entire planet bit by bit. :)

I'd assume there's a ritual with a similar effect that's used on temples, which is permanent and covers the entire sanctified area. It's an interesting idea Ward could also apply to the priests of opposed gods. I think you could do that with the ritual even if not with the standard Ward power.

The way Ward's written you could definitely take it as cast on an area set by the caster's current location, which is what I think Ruffnut was suggesting. That's a reasonable interpretation of what it actually says, I just like it having a range.

But that's partly because I'd like more of the priest powers to vary by Devotion score, and Ward could have the area affected set by that. Half a metre diameter per Devotion point might work. So the starting priest in the rulebook would only have a 3.5m diameter area (almost half the current 3m radius), but an experienced priest could Ward a larger area than now.