AFF Fanzine (AFFFZ?)

For discussion of the AFF Fanzine
Bifford
Site Admin

AFF Fanzine (AFFFZ?)

Post by Bifford » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:28 pm

A little place for you all to throw ideas about!

A magazine is certainly possible. There are loads of them out there, some paid for and some free. I would imagine the number of 'zines out there hits triple figures easily.

LordArioch
Adventurer

Re: AFF Fanzine (AFFFZ?)

Post by LordArioch » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:51 pm

* Special Skills, Talents, monsters, magic, etc. in the gamebooks not yet covered by the AFF2e products.

* a How-To on the development of a gamebook (the pitfalls, technical advice, techniques, etc.)

* statting out popular characters in a variety of media into AFF2e terms (early Classic Traveller used to do this). For example, what are the AFF2e stats for the various characters and monsters in movies like The Dark Crystal, Krull, Conan the Barbarian (1982), Boorman's Excalibur, or the Stellar Adventures stats for such characters as Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker (and the rest of the Script Immunity Gang), Earl Dumarest, the Moties from The Mote in God's Eye, Hector the Robot from Saturn 3, Robby the Robot and the infamous Krell Machine from Forbidden Planet...the Monolith from 2001:A Space Odyssey* :lol:

* size 1:4:9, a fondness for the avant-garde choral pieces of Ligeti, absorbing all light, shrieking when exposed to daylight for the first time on the moon, serving as a stargate, gobbling up Jupiter and turning it into a mini-sun. :)
Last edited by LordArioch on Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:10 am

One-off adventures easy to drop in any campaign (they may be either for AFF or for SA)
Adaptations to other settings (supers, lovecraftian, etc.)

Rather than focussing on having many pages and fantastic layout I'd rather focus on being snappy and fairly frequent.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:00 am

The ideas from Nuvole! and LordArioch are exactly what I had in mind, too.

I'm particularly keen on the ideas that cross boundaries between AFF and other settings, genres, &c., like the suggestion to produce AFF stats for famous characters from other works. I remember they had a feature that did this for the D&D game in some of the earlier issues of Dragon Magazine, and it was one of my favourite series. If we're thinking of the fanzine being a marketing tool as well as entertainment and a resource for players, I think ideas like this can be a neat way of saying to potential players, "whatever you like about your system/world of choice, we can do it in AFF." We can show off the fact that while simple, AFF is also incredibly adaptable; and if a particular feature isn't already covered by the ruleset, it's super-easy to make additions.

To that end, we could also include guideline articles for converting material from other systems to AFF, like the one SkinnyOrc wrote for converting from D&D to AFF. We can say to people, "you like such-and-such a system and have lots of resources for it? No problem - here's how you can easily adapt it to play with the AFF ruleset."

Also, thinking of attracting people who may have been introduced to AFF via the FF gamebooks, we might be able to include fan adaptations of gamebook adventures to multiplayer AFF adventures - though I think we might want to get approval from the Powers That Be for such adaptations, even if they are 100% unofficial and not-for-profit.

My final thought (for now): perhaps we could include material on using the AFF system for solo roleplaying, as such games seem to be becoming more popular on DriveThruRPG at the moment. I know Graham has plans to produce something in this vein in the (hopefully) not-too-distant future, so maybe we could use fanzine material to build up to and eventually tie in with what he releases.

As I said before, I'm really keen to see a fanzine like this happen, and am willing to put in a fair amount of effort for it if other people are similarly enthusiastic.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:40 pm

Dawndeath wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:00 am
AFF stats for famous characters from other works. I remember they had a feature that did this for the D&D game in some of the earlier issues of Dragon Magazine, and it was one of my favourite series.
One of the best features of AFF2 is the flexible character generation so this might be a good way to highlight it.

I always thought it was funny that people on D&D forums would say things like "Bilbo couldn't have been a thief because in The Hobbit he didn't do everything the thief class can do". It'd make more sense to ask why are classes so inflexible you can't generate PCs that match the variety of rogue/thief type characters you find in stories, myths and legends. But AFF2 can.

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:15 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:40 pm
One of the best features of AFF2 is the flexible character generation so this might be a good way to highlight it.

I always thought it was funny that people on D&D forums would say things like "Bilbo couldn't have been a thief because in The Hobbit he didn't do everything the thief class can do". It'd make more sense to ask why are classes so inflexible you can't generate PCs that match the variety of rogue/thief type characters you find in stories, myths and legends. But AFF2 can.
Definitely the sort of thing we want to highlight in the magazine - not to say other systems suck because you can't do xyz, but like you said, to focus on just how much you can do with AFF. We really want to show off everything great about this game.

Sukumvit

Post by Sukumvit » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:49 pm

I've been thinking about a series that looks at monsters in more detail; the Titan book has quite a lot of information on the major tribal races, but we know very little about Calacorms, Brain Slayers, Claw Beasts, Miks, Ganjees, etc. (the "Pit" books, like most RPG Beastie Books, tend to stick to the "this is what it looks like and this is how it attacks" template, laid down by Gygax.) Something written from the perspective of a (probably Allansian) scholar, relating the scraps of information they've been able to gather over the years. Because it would be "filling in the gaps," and necessarily non-official/non-canon, the lore would be presented in the form of (often contradictory) rumours, legends, experiences and observations reported by both credible and questionable witnesses (even the scholar might be an "unreliable narrator;") the reader would be left to decide what's true and what's just hearsay and myth, as they saw fit. But it would touch on the culture, psychology, religion, habits, etc. of the monster in question.
Another idea might be a series that looks at the "real" folklore and mythology that so many Titan monsters are drawn from, fleshing out what the "Pit" books mention (for instance, I know an ungodly amount of vampire lore - the stuff that never makes it into Beastie Books.)

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:53 am

That sounds like a really good idea, Sukumvit. I like that the Pit books are quite to the point with monster details and descriptions - I don't like to be overwhelmed with lots of information when I'm in the middle of a game and just trying to look up something important for a combat or such. But I still like to know more about the monsters - where the myths came from, how they interact with the game world and what its citizens think or know about them, that sort of thing. Then I've got somewhere to look for the basic stats and information when I need to know something quickly, and somewhere separate for the legends and lore.

I think articles like this could also be useful for introducing potential players to more of the world of Titan, which speaking personally, is another big draw to the AFF game for me.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:45 am

Really like the ideas here, thanks for opening up a thread on it.

What I would like to see: verity, different topics and writers (if possible) the best fanzines in my experience show the community and let people with different tastes and interests find something which they can relate to/enjoy. Adventures, background descriptions, other settings, GM/Solo tips and tricks, house rules...

I like the idea of in universe scholarly (and horribly unreliable) descriptions of monsters. We can also pull information from Titan and the herbal to describe where they live (not too much, just names of plants etc. to pull the different source books together and show people how much is out there).

We also have a mountain of stuff on this forum which can be reviewed and used as the basis for articles.

From a practical point of view I agree that it does not need to look like it’s been made by professionals (it’s a fanzine after all) but it does need to be neat and tidy. We need an editor team who checks everything for spelling/grammar mistakes, makes sure that it stays as family friendly as AFF always has been and that formatting etc. Is consistant. For artwork we’ll need a bit and will have to find some sources of free art.

For publishing on DrivethruRPG I don’t think that’s too difficult, we just need to put something together and send it to them.

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:16 am

I think I could contribute to the zine with some artwork, either new ones or from the existing paper minis. The FF world has a lot of interesting and unusual monsters, and I suppose that I could find a little time to draw something.
“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:39 am

JohnK wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:16 am
I think I could contribute to the zine with some artwork, either new ones or from the existing paper minis. The FF world has a lot of interesting and unusual monsters, and I suppose that I could find a little time to draw something.
JohnK, that's fantastic. :mrgreen:

I can make article contributions - specifically, I'm in the process of putting together a whole range of material to support adventures set in the Isles of the Dawn, and I'm happy to submit any and all of it if people think it would be suitable for the zine. I also have some Lovecraftian-themed articles in mind, playing on the quite 'weird literature' feel of some of the gamebooks.

Finally, while I don't consider myself in any way qualified as an editor, I was an English teacher in a former life, so my spelling and grammar are not too bad. I can certainly assist with proofreading articles, if it helps.

Let's make this happen, people!

LordArioch
Adventurer

Post by LordArioch » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:55 pm

we might be able to include fan adaptations of gamebook adventures to multiplayer AFF adventures - though I think we might want to get approval from the Powers That Be for such adaptations, even if they are 100% unofficial and not-for-profit.
This would be ace. Adapting the settings of the gamebooks to Referee'd multiplayer adventure modules, but with bonus content, fleshing it out.

Another thing would be the extra characteristics adapted to AFF2e...

Fear (House of Hell/Hades)
Willpower (Beneath Nightmare Castle)
Power (Phantoms of Fear)
Fuel (Chasms of Malice)
Honour (Sword of the Samurai)
Faith (Vault of the Vampire)
Presence (Island of the Undead)
and so on...

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:28 am

LordArioch wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:55 pm
Another thing would be the extra characteristics adapted to AFF2e...

Fear (House of Hell/Hades)
Willpower (Beneath Nightmare Castle)
Power (Phantoms of Fear)
Fuel (Chasms of Malice)
Honour (Sword of the Samurai)
Faith (Vault of the Vampire)
Presence (Island of the Undead)
and so on...
Yeah, we could use it to show how incredibly and easily adaptable AFF is.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:31 am

I think this is a great idea. My workload is, as always, high but I could certainly do the layout on it and release it on DTRPG.

It would need someone to coordinate and eit, and maybe a quarterly release? It could also be offered as a POD option so people could order a print version if they wanted it. A 30 page colour would cost about £2 to print, which is not too bad.

If you want me to create a subforum within the AFF one just for this I can also.

I will need to get official approval from Steve and Ian if I am releasing it, but that will not be a problem.

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:56 pm

This all sounds great. :mrgreen:

What does everyone think? Quarterly release, 30 pages seems reasonable - I think between us we should be able to do that.