Robb 1
Knight

Re: AFF Fanzine (AFFFZ?)

Post by Robb 1 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:22 pm

Quartely sounds good to me :D

Sukumvit

Post by Sukumvit » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:50 pm

It sounds perfect, particularly when you consider how much stuff people are bombarded with now, which they feel pressurised to keep up with. Back when Fortean Times was bi-monthly (possibly even quarterly - I can't remember,) I used to read it cover-to-cover; now it's monthly, I'm still reading the current issue when the next one arrives. People are getting overloaded these days - there's too much of everything. A quarterly publication allows people to give the zine a go alongside the other mags they read, without being overwhelmed by content.

I think it's important that a zine should have a mix of articles for newcomers and material aimed more at established players. If it devotes itself too much to promoting the reasons why AFF is a great game, it will come across as too evangelical and will also outlive its usefulness very quickly; if it concentrates on appealing to existing players, it will be harder for novices to get a foothold. "Something for everyone" makes for a successful magazine.
Last edited by Sukumvit on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:16 pm

I've made a new forum and moved this thread over. There's a "shadow" left in place so I don't confuse people with the sudden disappearance. It means you can start extra threads (ie a "Layout Discussion" or "Art Thread") with impunity and without clogging up the AFF forum.

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:49 am

I managed to reach here through mentioned "shadow".
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Dawndeath

Post by Dawndeath » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:03 pm

Sukumvit wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:50 pm
I think it's important that a zine should have a mix of articles for newcomers and material aimed more at established players. If it devotes itself too much to promoting the reasons why AFF is a great game, it will come across as too evangelical and will also outlive its usefulness very quickly; if it concentrates on appealing to existing players, it will be harder for novices to get a foothold. "Something for everyone" makes for a successful magazine.
Yeah, I think that's a very good point. If we make sure we're aiming some material at newbies - how-to guides, getting to know AFF and Titan, examples of play, that sort of thing - and some material aimed more at the long-standing members of the community - house rules, monster variants, deeper lore of Titan, &c. - then we should hopefully be able to make each reader glad they opened the mag, and keep them coming back for more.

Sukumvit

Post by Sukumvit » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:56 pm

That's the thing. I think it's also true that roleplayers are generally more welcoming to newcomers than they used to be, so veterans will hopefully be more tolerant of material that they might not have too much use for themselves - they'll see the wisdom of it being there. Back in the 80's, things were quite different; I remember endless complaints in the letters page of White Dwarf, decrying articles aimed at "newbie kids who've come here from Fighting Fantasy" (yes, that's us they were talking about.) It's a far less elitist scene than it used to be, thank God.

Dawndeath

Post by Dawndeath » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:47 am

Okay, so I know we're still waiting for official approval, but I think we can start gathering together our ideas about what to include in the zine. It might be helpful to tentatively outline some sections for the magazine, based on the items people have suggested so far. Something like (in no particular order):
  • A bestiary section (Glimpses of the Pit? Shadows of the Pit?) - one or two new monsters or monster variants per issue;
  • A short adventure (multi-player or solo) - possibly original, possibly converted from another system, possibly based on a FF gamebook;
  • An 'introductory' article - something about getting to know Titan, or how to create a character based on a particular theme or hero from literature, &c.;
  • Deeper monster or setting lore, written as if by an in-world writer;
  • New weapons, armour or other equipment - possibly fantasy-themed, possibly historically researched, possibly including magical items;
  • New spells or priestly powers, or even whole new magic systems for particular locations within Titan;
  • Ideas for new rules / rules modifications to cover particular situations - for example, how to introduce an HONOUR stat for use in adventures based in Hachiman;
  • AFF stats for famous characters - both from within FF (EG Zanbar Bone, Nicodemus, &c.) and from other works (EG Aragorn II, Merlin, Robin Hood, Red Sonja, &c.);
  • Something related to Stellar Adventures - ideas for settings, conversions of existing sci-fi works to the SA system, &c.;
This list is by no means exhaustive, and not every section needs to be included in every issue of the zine, but it gives us a start to organising what we need to produce. We could create individual threads within this forum for each section, where people can submit and discuss more specific ideas.

Sukumvit

Post by Sukumvit » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:25 pm

As far as contents go, that sounds about right; it's pretty much what you find in any RPG magazine, really, professional or amateur. But these things are constant features in mags because they work and they're what people want to see. Certain types of content will need to be in each issue, particularly things like adventures. I don't know what others think, but I'd be inclined to concentrate on multi-player scenarios more than solos - Fighting Fantazine already has solos covered, and they would take up an awful lot of space in what will only be a 30-page mag. Scenarios, on the other hand, can cover quite a lot of ground in only 4 to 6 pages, particularly if they're sketching out the essential structure, setting and characters of an adventure without going into exhaustive detail.

A separate thread for each section or "department" would be useful to briefly discuss who's doing what, to avoid duplication of effort, but we need to be aware that there's a danger that we could get into a situation where the contents are being determined by committee which, despite its democratic appeal, will slow things down to a crawl. Ultimately, someone will basically have to assume the role of editor and decide which submissions go in the mag and which don't; to avoid any hurt feelings and bad blood, it might have to be a case of "it's not going in this issue, but probably the next one." What we need is someone with the free time to take on this role (I'll be the first to rule myself out, to spare other peoples' embarassment!) Any takers?
Last edited by Sukumvit on Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:37 pm

I agree on the role of the editor. Although I can’t promise enough time to be part of the central team I’m happy write articles on a range of subjects on the list.

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:08 pm

Bifford is the obvious candidate :P
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.