Declare actions and combat options.

darksoul
Knight

Declare actions and combat options.

Post by darksoul » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:43 am

Does everyone have all their players declare actions first then act? It seems to be what the game suggests. The order of actions is supposed to be Ranged, spells, Hand to hand. Or instead of declaring actions you ask "who's casting a spell" and let them call out, then you ask, or who's doing ranged and so on.

A player using combat options needs to declare that he will use a combat option. Does that mean he declares the specific combat action or just that he will be doing a combat action and chooses one to do on his turn?

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Re: Declare actions and combat options.

Post by Dawndeath » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:35 pm

I prefer declaring actions first, including declaring the specific combat option; but not necessarily enforcing a character carrying out their declared action.

If there are conflicts between different character's actions, I deal with them on a case-by-case basis. For example, if one Hero declares he is going to attack orc A, but then hears that another Hero is also going to attack orc A, and so wants to change his target to orc B, I might allow the change in target, but with a -1 penalty to the character's attack roll. The rationale is that in the combat, the first Hero starts off his action with the intention to attack orc A; but then he sees that the second Hero is also attacking the same orc. He decides to switch his target, but this takes a fraction of time and effort - resulting in the aforementioned penalty.

It's not a perfect system, because whoever declares their action last gets to know what everyone else is doing, and so potentially change their action without incurring a penalty. To be honest, I only apply it if action-switching has become a chronic problem. I'm usually more interested in a smooth-flowing game. The fewer rules we have to clog up a good fight, the better. It's one of the things I love about AFF!

Ruffnut V2

Post by Ruffnut V2 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:22 pm

I do this
I forgot the password to my old account and the "Recover Password" feature seems to be broken.

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:50 am

Thanks' guys.

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:34 am

Welcome, mate. 😁

drbargle

Post by drbargle » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:10 am

As I take an AFF combat round to be a confusion of simultaneous actions, I have everyone declare what they are doing. They can't change what they are doing as, no matter the order in which things are resolved, in fact it is all happening at once. I also get everyone to roll their combat strength and place the dice in front of them before we begin sorting out what each dice roll means.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:11 pm

drbargle wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:10 am
As I take an AFF combat round to be a confusion of simultaneous actions, I have everyone declare what they are doing. They can't change what they are doing as, no matter the order in which things are resolved, in fact it is all happening at once. I also get everyone to roll their combat strength and place the dice in front of them before we begin sorting out what each dice roll means.
This is a great way to do it. I will adopt this too. I already get people to declare actions and the system works really well.