WOFTM. Use OOTP stats or WOFTM stats?

darksoul
Knight

WOFTM. Use OOTP stats or WOFTM stats?

Post by darksoul » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:57 am

I noticed yesterday that the monster in WOFTM are slightly different then then out of the pit and the adjustments in the main game book. For example, the Ogre encounter. Should I give it the ability to add +1 to the damage roll as it states in the main book? It doesn't seem to state it in the story module so I'm unsure.

Anyone have advice?

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Re: WOFTM. Use OOTP stats or WOFTM stats?

Post by Dawndeath » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:31 am

You're the Director - you can do whatever you think is best for your game. :mrgreen:

Personally, I usually go with the stats given in the adventure. Remember, the stats given in the Pit books are for 'typical' examples of each monster type. Maybe the ogre in WoFTM is slightly atypical.

Actually in this case, the damage figures given for the ogre in WoFTM are quite similar to the 'club + 1 to the damage roll' figures you would get from OotP and AFF. So I would either use the Ootp and AFF damage values OR the WoFTM values. I wouldn't apply the +1 to the damage roll to the WoFTM damage stats. Unless I felt like being a little cruel to the Heroes... :twisted:

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:11 am

Dawndeath wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:31 am
You're the Director - you can do whatever you think is best for your game. :mrgreen:

Personally, I usually go with the stats given in the adventure. Remember, the stats given in the Pit books are for 'typical' examples of each monster type. Maybe the ogre in WoFTM is slightly atypical.

Actually in this case, the damage figures given for the ogre in WoFTM are quite similar to the 'club + 1 to the damage roll' figures you would get from OotP and AFF. So I would either use the Ootp and AFF damage values OR the WoFTM values. I wouldn't apply the +1 to the damage roll to the WoFTM damage stats. Unless I felt like being a little cruel to the Heroes... :twisted:
The module's a bit funny when comparing it to AFF monster stats. A winged gremlin stays the same but some others don't. lol the book has a small part that says "If your a cruel DM you can..." :D

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:36 am

I guess some changes do have to be made when converting an adventure from gamebook to multi-player AFF format, for the reasons you list in your other thread on WoFTM. It's one of the reasons why when I'm putting together my own adventures, I use the Pit books as a rough guide to the monsters only. I try to gauge what would be suitable as opponents in a party adventure, and modify the standard monsters accordingly.

And although I'm generally not, I do like it when a module gives me "cruel GM" suggestions. :twisted: :lol: