Honesty cantrip - too powerful?

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Honesty cantrip - too powerful?

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:55 pm

I'm just thinking about the Honesty cantrip which makes people confess to telling a lie. Something like this can really derail an adventure if it involves an investigation. I know that there is a resist roll, but if that goes wrong then that could do something like uncover a murderer before the big reveal or reveal a spy or something. It might also come up with questions like what is a lie?

Here are suggestions:

Targeted person gets a -2 roll to all con rolls - this is more in line with the effects of other cantrips - a minor penalty.

OR

You know it's a lie, but the other person does not confess - this way, you still have to prove the lies.

Edit: I'm just reading the Low Fantasy Gaming RPG book (you can get a free pdf here: https://lowfantasygaming.com/freepdf/)

And it states on page 61 that the author has removed resurrection magic, teleportation magic, lie detection and alignment detection magic from the game as "these kind of spells tend to undermine some of the mystery of the story or bypass investigation or exploration."

So after reading that, I think the penalty to con rolls is how it should go.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Re: Honesty cantrip - too powerful?

Post by SkinnyOrc » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:38 pm

Definitely having the target admit a lie is too powerful for a cantrip, and so is anything that absolutely forces someone else to do something in my opinion. I like the making it hard for them to be dishonest, that seems in keeping with "Honesty" and what minor magic can do.

If you did that I'd still have a detect lie cantrip, you could perhaps call it "Veracity". The caster can just get a feeling when the target's lying so no one else knows. The target gets a LUCK/SKILL test so if they detect as not lying they may be and the party can't 100% rely on it to solve mysteries. If they do detect as lying it doesn't tell you what the truth is, and you still need to prove it. It can also be quite misleading as someone can lie and still have good intentions.

I went to download that Low Fantasy Gaming RPG book and got told I already had it! I'd completely forgotten but that's free stuff off the internet for you. Something else I'd add to the list of low fantasy game-breakers is magical flying. The AFF2 mechanics and wide selection of special skills are well suited to low fantasy and investigation adventures, it just needs a few tweaks to the spells.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:41 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:38 pm
Definitely having the target admit a lie is too powerful for a cantrip, and so is anything that absolutely forces someone else to do something in my opinion. I like the making it hard for them to be dishonest, that seems in keeping with "Honesty" and what minor magic can do.

If you did that I'd still have a detect lie cantrip, you could perhaps call it "Veracity". The caster can just get a feeling when the target's lying so no one else knows. The target gets a LUCK/SKILL test so if they detect as not lying they may be and the party can't 100% rely on it to solve mysteries. If they do detect as lying it doesn't tell you what the truth is, and you still need to prove it. It can also be quite misleading as someone can lie and still have good intentions.

I went to download that Low Fantasy Gaming RPG book and got told I already had it! I'd completely forgotten but that's free stuff off the internet for you. Something else I'd add to the list of low fantasy game-breakers is magical flying. The AFF2 mechanics and wide selection of special skills are well suited to low fantasy and investigation adventures, it just needs a few tweaks to the spells.
I agree about magical flying. It can nerf tons of traps and situations in an instant. Which is why in my own system, the best you can get is enhanced jumping.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:56 pm

Fly and Levitate probably need their own thread.