What's Next on the Horizon for AFF2e?

LordArioch
Adventurer

What's Next on the Horizon for AFF2e?

Post by LordArioch » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:48 pm

What it says on the tin.

LordArioch
Adventurer

Re: What's Next on the Horizon for AFF2e?

Post by LordArioch » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:55 am

Paging Mr. Bottley.
Mr Bottley to the front desk, please.

221 views and no answers? :roll:

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:33 am

To be fair, Graham has got us a lot of new AFF lately, including Return to the Pit which was eagerly awaited for a long time. On top of that there's the new revision of the rulebook he announced he's working on. Even if that's just prettying it up it's a major job (and I'm hoping for a little more in the way of rule tweaks). With all that and his day job we may have to wait a bit for anything really new.

But seeing as we're talking about it I'll put in my wish list:

1. A magic items book of all the best from the gamebooks, in the same vein as the Pit books and the Titan Herbal. I'm hoping this is Andrew Wright's next project!

2. A Salamonis source book.

3. Conversions of any of the Titan gamebooks and especially the earlier ones. So Citadel of Chaos, Forest of Doom, Deathtrap Dungeon, Island of the Lizard King, Caverns of the Snow Witch and so on. City of Thieves is kind of already covered with Blacksand, although an adventure set there'd be welcome too.

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:31 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:33 am
To be fair, Graham has got us a lot of new AFF lately, including Return to the Pit which was eagerly awaited for a long time. On top of that there's the new revision of the rulebook he announced he's working on. Even if that's just prettying it up it's a major job (and I'm hoping for a little more in the way of rule tweaks). With all that and his day job we may have to wait a bit for anything really new.

But seeing as we're talking about it I'll put in my wish list:

1. A magic items book of all the best from the gamebooks, in the same vein as the Pit books and the Titan Herbal. I'm hoping this is Andrew Wright's next project!

2. A Salamonis source book.

3. Conversions of any of the Titan gamebooks and especially the earlier ones. So Citadel of Chaos, Forest of Doom, Deathtrap Dungeon, Island of the Lizard King, Caverns of the Snow Witch and so on. City of Thieves is kind of already covered with Blacksand, although an adventure set there'd be welcome too.
pretty much the same from me too with perhapse source books on northen allansia round Fang Fangthane ad jarlholm and maybe Gazeteer of mauristatia for horror based adventures

Ruffnut V2

Post by Ruffnut V2 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:09 pm

Whatever it is I cant wait!
I forgot the password to my old account and the "Recover Password" feature seems to be broken.

Andrew Wright

Post by Andrew Wright » Thu May 14, 2020 7:11 am

I'm working on a magic items book right now! :-)

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford » Thu May 14, 2020 3:10 pm

Andrew Wright wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:11 am
Be sure to get it over to me for proofreading/editing!
Warlock Returns AFF Discord channel: https://discord.gg/hpCRJkw

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Thu May 14, 2020 6:40 pm

Andrew Wright wrote:
Whoopee! Will it be magic items from the series? If so, will it be the whole series?
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Fri May 15, 2020 4:48 am

Andrew Wright wrote:
Number one on the wish list I posted above! It's excellent news it's happening and that you're doing it.

LordArioch
Adventurer

Post by LordArioch » Sat May 16, 2020 2:17 am

Great news! I also offer my editorial services. Will there be references as to whence the magic items have been extracted from the gamebook series?

Andrew Wright

Post by Andrew Wright » Mon May 18, 2020 6:33 am

Thanks for the responses and offers of editing! :-) Once it's done, I will take you up on them.

It will hopefully be the first in a series of magic compendiums (maybe a little bigger than the Herbal but smaller than Beyond the Pit)

Some answers to questions:
  • The items are from the first 10 books in the old Puffin series, plus the Sorcery! quartet and spellbook, plus the original Fighting Fantasy: Role-playing game book with the Weretiger on the cover.
  • I've also gone through every AFF fantasy product, from the books, to the Atlantis campaign, to Jonathan Hicks' PDF adventures so it's consistent with all of them.
  • Like Return to the Pit, there will be an Ultimate Magic Item index in the book listing where all the items were first mentioned (e.g. Giver of Sleep: FF1: WOFTM; Pocket Myriad: FF2: COC, etc). There'll also be an Ultimate Spell Index plus other goodies too.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Tue May 19, 2020 11:36 am

Great news! We'll wait very patiently, as usual...
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Andrew Wright

Post by Andrew Wright » Thu May 21, 2020 7:02 am

Hopefully it won't take as long as Return to the Pit!

What it looks like so far:
  • Chapter 1: Intro. Using pre-existing skills/talents/rules plus 6 new archetypes. DONE
  • Chapter 2: Treasure generation system including new Creature Treasure Table (treasure split into Coins, Gear, Treasure, Magic), plus treasure location and traps. DONE
  • Chapter 3: Coins and Gear (includes useful equipment, food and drink, herbs, and random useless crap). DONE
  • Chapter 4: Treasure - includes valuable monster organs, trade goods, furs and skins, objects d'art, gems and jewels, jewellery, spices, ivory, creature eggs. QUARTER WRITTEN
  • Chapter 5: Magic Items - scrolls, curiosities, components, potions, trinkets and enchanted items. RESEARCH COMPLETE
  • Chapter 6: Artefacts and holy/unholy/demonic items. RESEARCH COMPLETE
  • Chapter 7: An example of using the system to generate treasure to stock a dungeon.
  • Appendices: New spells and a new magic styke (RESEARCH COMPLETE), generating a magic shop's wares (DONE), Ultimate indices to all equipment, magic items, and spells in all AFF products (DONE)
Phew! :-)

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Thu May 21, 2020 9:46 am

Andrew Wright wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:02 am
Chapter 2: Treasure generation system including new Creature Treasure Table (treasure split into Coins, Gear, Treasure, Magic), plus treasure location and traps. DONE
Have you looked at my treasure gen system? I thought it was important treasure was based on creature SKILL rather than being completely random. I also tried to add in valuable but hard to carry goods. Anyway it might have some useful ideas.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Thu May 21, 2020 9:56 am

I have been super, super busy recently, but my plans for this year are:

Treasure Book
Combat Companion
Solo Guide
Colour AFF book (with Rob Schwalb)
AFF Fantasy Grounds Ruleset
Fanzine
Get Atlantis Campaign finished

I will also be talking about AFF a lot on my ALL NEW YouTube Channel: https://studio.youtube.com/channel/UCN_ ... DING%22%7D

Obviously feel free to watch and subscribe (!) to that if you think it might be interesting!