What Would Conan Do? blog

Slloyd14
Site Admin

What Would Conan Do? blog

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:53 am

Hi all! I've just found this blog by the creator of the game Troika! which has several posts about Advanced Fighting Fantasy.

You can find the AFF posts here:

https://whatwouldconando.blogspot.com/search/label/AFF

Enjoy!
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Re: What Would Conan Do? blog

Post by SkinnyOrc » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:56 am

Only read the first one about Luck so far, but the ideas about how to get Luck points back are interesting. He's right you don't want players hassling the GM to award them Luck for things they did. You could maybe boil down his suggestions to decide on a system for giving back Luck and then stick to it. If the players know that's how it works there's no arguments.

So to do that for things happening in the adventure you can go through it beforehand and decide what actions will give a Luck point and make a note. I'm also okay with the idea that these sorts of Luck awards can take you past your Luck score temporarily.

Getting some Luck back from food and rest isn't a terrible idea either, and 4 a day doesn't seem like it'd be excessive. As it stands you get them all back at the start of each adventure, but AFF2 adventures can vary a lot in length. But maybe just getting 4 back each day would be better, eating and sleeping make more sense for Stamina than Luck. Or even getting some back per session, it's harder to rationalise than per day but would work better for wilderness adventures where there often isn't as much happening a day.

Hartness

Re: What Would Conan Do? blog

Post by Hartness » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:03 pm

How about giving luck based on a weekly or monthly standing that would last for a week or a month?