Where can I find a detailed map of Allansia/Titan?

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Chompy

Where can I find a detailed map of Allansia/Titan?

Post by Chompy » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:50 pm

I see a lot of reference to a map made by Dave Holt, but I can't find it at full resolution anywhere after a good half hour of google and forum searching.
I did discover the fantastic resource that is the Atlas of Titan, though, so the search was worthwhile. P:

Is Dave Holt's map still available somewhere / was it ever?

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Re: Where can I find a detailed map of Allansia/Titan?

Post by SkinnyOrc » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:44 am

Had a look in my collection and I only have a low res of Holt's map too. Reading about it on Titannica it sounds like there was a lot of non-canon invention on it. Yeah Atlas of Titan is pretty good, although I've never got around to reading it all.

HedgeWizard
Knight

Post by HedgeWizard » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:53 pm

One of the things I like about Titan is that there are no detailed “Canon” maps. It gives a lot more freedom for creating your own spaces without having to keep thinking about it fits into everything else.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:38 pm

Exactly! I'm not too fussed about it being non-canon, as I've been making up plenty of locations myself. I have mostly been hoping to perhaps use it for some consistency, rather than canonicism (if that's a word), as a behind the scenes Director-only world map. My players get completely different maps of the area depending on who they ask or which parchment they look at. The titan atlas will help a lot with that, there's plenty of wonderfully drawn imprecise maps I can show them as needed.

Without being able to find a proper copy though I'm still not sure if it's suitable.
I'm currently using the fantastic Steve Luxton maps for general geography, and I found a link on these forums to a really wonderful contoured map of central Allansia... but it's only central allansia, and a trip to Arantis may soon be on the cards.

Mr Nibbs / Steve Luxton
http://mrnibbsnewmaps.blogspot.com/

Contoured Map (attached in the OP)
https://www.cartographersguild.com/show ... hp?t=28612
"This map therefore comes with deepest and most sincere apologies to anyone who has a connection to Allansia, because I have taken extreme liberties and changed it a lot! I hope no one is too offended. Mainly I have increased its size (almost tripled it in fact) and added (lots of) non-canon place names."

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:44 am

HedgeWizard wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:53 pm
One of the things I like about Titan is that there are no detailed “Canon” maps. It gives a lot more freedom for creating your own spaces without having to keep thinking about it fits into everything else.
Agree the gaps on the Titan maps are useful. With it coming from the gamebooks you get small areas that are well detailed and then big areas in between with only general info, which isn't a bad thing. What I meant about the Holt map is I'm not too worried about missing out on someone elses attempt to fill in those gaps, especially if they were using names from Krynn and stuff like that. That's not to say it wouldn't be worth having, but it's good the Titannica article lists what was added so you could tell the difference.
Chompy wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:38 pm
Mr Nibbs / Steve Luxton
http://mrnibbsnewmaps.blogspot.com/
I'd forgotten about those Salamonis and Azzur's Palace maps and illustrations he'd shared. Really beautiful work.

HedgeWizard
Knight

Post by HedgeWizard » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:27 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:44 am
I'd forgotten about those Salamonis and Azzur's Palace maps and illustrations he'd shared. Really beautiful work.
Any idea where I could find these maps?

Chompy

Post by Chompy » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:32 pm

Any idea where I could find these maps?
It's the Mr Nibbs link I posted up there. They really are fantastic.

I was at at first doubting why Salamonis seemed like it would have less buildings than Blacksand, but having thought about it makes sense. Blacksand being an overcrowded, terrible place to live. In my mind Salamonis being the seat of learning and having these much grand and venerable edifices, but possibly a sparser general population within the city walls itself, fits really well. Though it does look from the wider map like the surrounds are pretty developed as you'd expect. With the population described as friendly but insular, perhaps life there is a little conservative and traditional. Maybe even... dull? Possibly the reason everyone there jumps on stories of adventure so eagerly with their concept of Amanour. Though I still need to read the gamebook that takes place there, so this is all speculation!

drbargle

Post by drbargle » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:11 pm

My memory of the Trolltooth Wars is pretty vague, even though I did read it to my daughters about a year ago - oh, Chervah! - but I seem to remember that while Salamonis certainly has an royal 'quarter' of lovely stone buildings and fine architecture, there is also some more dirty and dangerous districts, with less salubrious wooden buildings, rowdy Strongarms spending their money after bringing a caravan across the Pagan Plains, etc.

Or maybe my imagination has filled in the gaps.