Converting the FF books to AFF2 adventures

jediboyy

Post by jediboyy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:50 am

Hi everyone!

I am working on a AFF conversion of The Warlock of Firetop Mountain for an upcoming issue of Fighting Fantazine.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for scaling the adventure to suit more than one player?

Would it be a case of just multiplying the number of enemies encountered and/or increasing their stats? And increasing the amount of treasure found?

Are there any spells or abilities in AFF that have been found to cause problems that wouldn't occur in the solo gamebook?

Would a party of adventurers need more/less healing than a solo player?

Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Brett (aka jediboyy)

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:55 am

Having just converted the Sorcery books, you need to take a range of approaches.

For some enemies, such as the Goblin Chieftan, you could add in a few extra grunt goblins. For obviously solo enemies such as the Minotaur, boost his skill by a bit, add an extra attack and add some extra stamina.
For groups, such as the zombies, just add more.

Fot the Warlock himself, you could give him a bodyguard such as an animated statue or summoned demon

RossN

Post by RossN » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:57 pm

Some of the adventures might actually work better for multiple players - Seas of Blood for instance works well because the story is about a pirate ship and the adventurers could easily slot into the roles as the crew (Captain, ship's doctor, bosun, etc.) Likewise Armies of Death has plenty of room for the players to act as commanders of the individual battalions or the like.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:17 am

@RossN - you've now got me looking through the list of FF books to see which ones you could convert.

There are a lot of books that say that the reason to send one person is to avoid the enemy spotting a large force so a small group would be just as good there. There are also several books where you have companions so people could either play their roles or make a bigger groups How about:

Forest of Doom
Island of the Lizard King (and maybe you could stop poor Mungo getting killed)
Scorpion Swamp
Caverns of the Snow Witch (Big Jim Sun hires more than one guard)
Temple of Terror
Masks of Mayhem (the king takes some bodyguards with him, like a sensible king should)
Beneath Nightmare Castle
Slaves of the Abyss (they send more than one hero out on the mission)
Portal of Evil (why did the margrave think that sending one person was the best idea?)
Fangs of Fury
Master of Chaos
The Keep of the Lich Lord
Legend of the Shadow Warriors
Tower of Destruction
Siege of Sardath
Return to Firetop Mountain
Island of the Undead
Night Dragon
Legend of Zagor
Deathmoor
Knights of Doom
Revenge of the Vampire
Curse of the Mummy

Better start writing.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Bysshe

Post by Bysshe » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:47 am

I'm about to start what I hope will evolve into a campaign with an adventure converted from Forest of Doom. It's the first FF book I came across, so nostalgia value is high. Fortunately I'm planning this campaign for beginning roleplayers, none of whom will likely have any prior knowledge of FF. I've been mapping FoD out manually on graph paper (nothing like that old school tech) with plans to expand the dangers and treasures of Darkwood. Right now I'm concentrating on the above ground areas, but I think there's a lot of room for expansion in the underground area as well. The Fire Demon is just a walking pile of untapped potential himself. :twisted:

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:13 am

Bysshe wrote:I'm about to start what I hope will evolve into a campaign with an adventure converted from Forest of Doom. It's the first FF book I came across, so nostalgia value is high. Fortunately I'm planning this campaign for beginning roleplayers, none of whom will likely have any prior knowledge of FF. I've been mapping FoD out manually on graph paper (nothing like that old school tech) with plans to expand the dangers and treasures of Darkwood.
Ha! If I remember correctly, the map for FoD could be made quite straightforwardly since all the paths align with compass directions and there is a very high degree of symmetry. It's as if the forest was laid out as a formal garden!

I also liked FoD, probably for nostalgic reasons too, but actually when I played through it again recently it was more enjoyable than I expected. It has some great encounters.

Personally if I were running it I would keep the encounters but change the map significantly. Also, quite a few other inhabitants/things have been assigned to the Forest of Doom in later canon. A community of Elves, for example, and Xortan Throg's tower (from Dungeoneer) on the east side of the forest..

Bysshe

Post by Bysshe » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:42 am

torus wrote:
Ha! If I remember correctly, the map for FoD could be made quite straightforwardly since all the paths align with compass directions and there is a very high degree of symmetry. It's as if the forest was laid out as a formal garden!

I also liked FoD, probably for nostalgic reasons too, but actually when I played through it again recently it was more enjoyable than I expected. It has some great encounters.

Personally if I were running it I would keep the encounters but change the map significantly. Also, quite a few other inhabitants/things have been assigned to the Forest of Doom in later canon. A community of Elves, for example, and Xortan Throg's tower (from Dungeoneer) on the east side of the forest..
The FoD is very grid-like in certain ways, but some of the "rooms" get a bit screwy the further north you go, with certain paths taking you on very roundabout journeys that would only make sense in that sort of Legend of Zelda-esque fashion where you have to pass through several screens in a certain order, or else you get hopelessly lost in the, well, "Lost Woods." This was probably done to save on text and avoid having to re-describe "dull" sections, but it makes mapping a bit trickier. Of course I just shifted some cells around as necessary to make it all work properly, and there's plenty of room to add in more encounters, though I will keep it largely to the basic layout of the book, just with more depth and the appropriate scale, etc.

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:35 pm

I think the infamous death trap dungeon and the trial of champions would make for an interesting multi player adventure as the dilemma of completing them might make for an interesing role play situation would the characters try to find a way to out smart sukumvit or would they try to kill each other? I remember hating having to kill Throm after fighting side by side for some of the later parts of the book. The joy of killing the trial master that set that one up was satisfying. I suppose the other way to run it is aaas each character for themselves what do people think?

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:48 pm

Other thoughts for AFF supplements freeway fighter was fun and I guess it wouldn't be too hard to make up some simple rules do vehichle to vehichle combat something similar to GWs battle cars might work. I remember enjoying the gun fights that could happen in tha book was novel.

I remember enjoying space assassin too and using a variant of the armour rules in a FF introductory rpg adventure I wrote before the original AFF rules came out which involved armour roles to prevent damage but were similar to the dragon warriors rpg :P

Bysshe

Post by Bysshe » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:07 am

Robb 1 wrote:I think the infamous death trap dungeon and the trial of champions would make for an interesting multi player adventure as the dilemma of completing them might make for an interesing role play situation would the characters try to find a way to out smart sukumvit or would they try to kill each other? I remember hating having to kill Throm after fighting side by side for some of the later parts of the book. The joy of killing the trial master that set that one up was satisfying. I suppose the other way to run it is aaas each character for themselves what do people think?
I'm also considering incorporating Deathtrap Dungeon into my campaign if it gets going. It would be interesting to see if any PCs would come up with an insult as good as "Sukumvit is a worm!" It would also be delightful to set up an encounter with the Bloodbeast.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Re: Converting the FF books to AFF2 adventures

Post by Slloyd14 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:22 pm

I'm wondering if there are any documents out about these conversions.

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:33 am

The only one that I know (and that I run over 20 times so far...) is Deathtrap Dungeon: https://fightingfantasy.fandom.com/wiki ... adventure)

EDIT: see as well the original thread on this forum: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=452&p=2842
Last edited by Nuvole! on Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:34 am

Nuvole! wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:33 am
The only one that I know (and that I run over 20 times so far...) is Deathtrap Dungeon: https://fightingfantasy.fandom.com/wiki ... adventure)
Awesome, thanks!